Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk avoiding too many hits in pocket???

Renegade7

Does Kirk need to stand tall in the pocket longer???  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Kirk to plant his stance more and risk more big hits to complete passes?

It wasn't until Kelly took over that I really noticed it, but Kirk has been good for about 2-3 overthrows on his outlet passes a game. Usually trying to avoid getting hit, he's throwing off his back foot quick instead of planting to keep the drive going.  Brian Mitchell brought it up saying Kirk needs to man up and take more of those hits to get the ball on target so we can win games.  I'm absolutely mixed on this, as the last thing we want is Kirk to try and prove how tough he is in a league full of defenses trying to break him in two.  I think I want to see him with Trent again to see if pass protection improves and those 2-3 overthrows go away.  Are ya'll seeing same thing I'm seeing?

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

The narrative like a month ago was that he doesn't extend plays with his feet in the pocket. Now, the narrative is that he does it too much?

I don't think it counts as "extending the play" if it results in zero net yards.  I voted yes because I couldn't vote no, not that its a huge, glaring problem that will doom us to eternal failure.

Voted No. Don't want him to take the risk of planting and throwing. But I would like to see him rollout a bit more or if he goes through his reads and nothing is there, head towards the sideline and get as many yards as possible without getting blasted. 

Sorry, but this is a none issue to me. Kirk has never been afraid of taking a hit. But why just stand in there and take one for no reason? Also, many of his interceptions early in his career was because instead of throwing it away or dumping it off, he would try to make that perfect throw.

While I totally agree Kirk had a rough day yesterday, it's just part of him maturing as a QB. Not to mention, he was running for his life most of the day. He is still just in his second year a starter. I know people don't want to hear that, but it's still true. He will look at film and learn from it.

2 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

Voted No. Don't want him to take the risk of planting and throwing. But I would like to see him rollout a bit more or if he goes through his reads and nothing is there, head towards the sideline and get as many yards as possible without getting blasted. 

He did exactly that yesterday several times - I mean exactly that. Other times he just had no real chance. Also, if you wait too long to take the dump off the guy catching it gets killed. It's really easy for us to watch replays and tape and say, well he should have....  But he has to actually do it. This feels a bit like nitpicky to me.

If Kirk wants to be in the league for 10+ years, he needs to avoid hits however he can.  Drew Brees is very good at avoiding hits.  Avoiding hits is what elite QB's are very good at doing.  Peyton Manning was good at it, yet he still had injury issues late in his career.  If Kirk is our franchise QB, he needs to not miss many games.  

He's always had issues fading in the pocket and throwing off his back foot, but never have I thought it was needing more courage in the pocket. Just needs to continue maturing and better manipulate the pocket at times (Not even saying that was the issue in the Cardinal game-- I was at the game, so not the best person to comment on that game).

Kirk appears to be a guy that will correct and do whatever is needed to improve. He will only get better as the games and seasons pile on. 

Mixed feelings is a good way to put it.  the offense moves great, so I don't really care how he's throwing the ball, whatever works for him.

Kind of like the redzone problem.  do we want him to force more throws for tds that could wind up picks? do we want him to step in to linebackers on throws just because that's what some other great qbs do? 

I think the good qbs these days have to find their niche because defenses are different, offensive schemes are different etc.  if this defense doesn't allow 3rd and longs so often and we find the weapon to score more often at the redzone then Kirk could spin in a circle, jump off the ground, clap his hands then throw the pass.  I don't think this "take the hit" thing is a big deal.  peyton and Brady were known for never getting hit.  I think that's what Kirk is going for. controlled, predetermined offense.

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again. 

What i really want to see from kirk is more touch on some of his passes.

I want to see him make a few of those throws that require timing a floater to a receiver that wasnt open when he let go of the ball.

If i see that i will be very thoroughly convinced, until then I will be very happy with what he is doing and still have a tinge of doubt as to whether or not we should break the bank.

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again. 

What i really want to see from kirk is more touch on some of his passes.

I want to see him make a few of those throws that require timing a floater to a receiver that wasnt open when he let go of the ball.

If i see that i will be very thoroughly convinced, until then I will be very happy with what he is doing and still have a tinge of doubt as to whether or not we should break the bank.

Yeah, hes only 6th in completion percentage. He really needs to work on that touch.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, hes only 6th in completion percentage. He really needs to work on that touch.

What does completion percentage have to do with touch on your passes?

I have no problem with his accuracy and never said i was unconvinced by his completion percentage i said id like to see him throw a few lob passes that float in to a receiver and i stand by my statement. 

Maybe its why we can't complete a fade in the end zone to save our lives.

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

What does completion percentage have to do with touch on your passes?

I have no problem with his accuracy and never said i was unconvinced by his completion percentage i said id like to see him throw a few lob passes that float in to a receiver and i stand by my statement. 

Maybe its why we can't complete a fade in the end zone to save our lives.

Alright yes, he can't throw a fade, but I'm pretty sure he's close to leading the league in the deep touch too.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Alright yes, he can't throw a fade, but I'm pretty sure he's close to leading the league in the deep touch 

Im not suggesting he cant hit targets short or long and im not saying im unhappy with his performance. 

Ill use an analogy to try to explain my one criticism of cousins. 

If i were to put a trash can in the back of a golf cart and send it racing down the field i have no doubt whatsoever that kirk can hit the side of the trash can broadside regularly.

All im saying is that I'd love to see him put it inside the can once in awhile thats all.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

3 things you do in the WCO for it to be successful.

You hit your first read if it's open

You don't take sacks

You checkdown if reads are covered or throw it away. 

Kirk is not Cam Newton or Rodgers. He shouldn't be required to take hits or roll around trying to buy time in a clean pocket. I'd the pocket is clean, you stay in it. 

Asking Kirk to step into a free Blitzer is asking for the ball to be tipped, him to be murdered ,  or the injured. So...my answer is...

Hell ****ing No

1 minute ago, William Barbour said:

3 things you do in the WCO for it to be successful.

You hit your first read if it's open

You don't take sacks

You checkdown if reads are covered or throw it away. 

Kirk is not Cam Newton or Rodgers. He shouldn't be required to take hits or roll around trying to buy time in a clean pocket. I'd the pocket is clean, you stay in it. 

Asking Kirk to step into a free Blitzer is asking for the ball to be tipped, him to be murdered ,  or the injured. So...my answer is...

Hell ****ing No

Is it okay if he buys time and hits Dwight Clark in the back of the end zone?? 

Archived