Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

11 minutes ago, visionary said:

Most of the military related picks seem good so far, other than Flynn.

I think the others I have some respect for so far are a Haley and Brandstad.

See, I would have to disagree with the blanket assessment of LSF above, we are obliged to consider all appointees or actions on their merits, no matter how easy it might be to recoil from the entire thing. There are some I like, some I respect and some I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to with little or no effort, overwhelmingly it is the process that concerns me, the manner in which the choices are made and all the background noise of Twitter this and Twitter that which make me wonder who is really calling any of the shots. A blind man hitting the target occasionally might be interesting and spark some applause, but I know I am a tad uneasy when I see him loading another clip. I don't think it ought to be a matter of luck when it comes to choosing people to run the federal government.

Some interesting stuff here.

ources point to Trump’s early appointments of hard-liners Jeff Sessions for attorney general and Mike Flynn for national security adviser as evidence of Bannon’s influence. But Priebus has flexed his muscle in more recent appointments such as Betsy DeVos for education secretary and RNC donors Wilbur Ross at Commerce and Steve Mnuchin at Treasury. Sources describe the dynamic between Bannon and Priebus as respectful, but competitive. “It’s not hand-to-hand combat,” one senior Republican said. “But they do have different worldviews.”

Some Trump advisers are dismayed by Priebus’s influence because they question the Washington insider’s loyalty to the president-elect. Three sources told me that shortly after the Access Hollywood tape leaked in early October, Priebus went to Trump’s penthouse and advised the candidate to get out of the race. Priebus told Trump that if he didn’t, he “will go down with a worse election loss than Barry Goldwater’s,” a person briefed on the conversation said.

The Priebus–Bannon power struggle is playing out most prominently in Trump’s search for a secretary of State. According to sources, Bannon has advocated for naming Rudy Giuliani, while Priebus has made the case for a more moderate choice. When concerns were raised about Giuliani’s business conflicts hurting his chances to be confirmed by the Senate, Bannon lobbied Trump not to settle for Mitt Romney and to expand the search for new candidates to include ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson, former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton, and Senator Bob Corker, a source close to Bannon told me.

Trump campaign staffers are also angry that Priebus is attempting to staff the West Wing with mainstream GOP officials rather than Trump loyalists. According to sources, Priebus wants Trump to appoint RNC chief strategist Sean Spicer to serve as White House press secretary rather than Kellyanne Conway (who turned down the job, sources say); he is also promoting RNC chief of staff Katie Walsh for deputy chief of staff, and former George W. Bush deputy chief of staff Joe Hagin for deputy chief for operations. “If Priebus controls the schedule and the message, what does Bannon actually control?” one Bannon loyalist asked.

According to a senior transition official, Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, is supportive of Priebus’s staff choices because they bring a level of professionalism to the chaotic Trump team. But some at Trump Tower are alarmed that Priebus has so far not offered jobs to a number of Trump loyalists who may have been expecting them, including Michael Cohen, Corey Lewandowski, Hope Hicks, and Dave Bossie. “We didn’t fight two years against the swamp only to bring the swamp into the White House,” one senior Trump adviser told me. Sources said Trump himself may not be aware that members of his original team haven’t been offered jobs. With only about 40 West Wing positions available, Priebus is moving quickly to fill them with his choices. This may be one of the ways in which his knowledge of how the West Wing works puts him at an advantage.

Conway’s relationship with Priebus has become particularly strained in recent days. According to a source, she blamed Priebus for a leak to MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough that claimed Trump was “furious” with her for going public with her critiques of Romney. Conway told me she cleared her request to speak out against Romney with Trump before going on television. Trump, perhaps still hoping to convince Conway to take a communications job at the White House, allowed it.

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Awesome since if there is one thing this economy is missing, it's low-wage jobs, with little-to-no benefits that offer little opportunity for advancement.  #MakingAmericaGreatAgain

I'm just surprised he didn't pick the head of KFC.  ;)

0802-donald-trump-twitter-4.jpg

1 hour ago, Kilmer17 said:

At this point I think it would be easier to point to the Trump appointees that the left actually likes.  Smaller thread though.

There isn't much to like with the big ones. He's surrounding himself with sycophants and loyalists with little qualification for their positions. The current net worth of his staff picks exceeds $14 billion. His cabinet is full of ultra rich, big business types. You know the types that couldn't give less of a **** about the lower and middle class.

1) His personal confidant, Bannon, is an anti-Semite and Islamophobe, known for spreading bull**** fake news through his platform. He's also a Goldman Alum.

2) HUD Secretary: Ben Carson? Are you serious? The same guy who himself says he wasn't qualified for top government posts? How on earth is he qualified in any way for this job? He is/was a doctor, and a lunatic to boot.

3) EPA Head: Scott Pruitt. Climate change denialist (what do those scientists know), and has done considerable work for energy companies, as far as even being named a co-plaintiff in a lawsuit. Massive conflict of interest there. He's supposed to help regulate his friends and business associates?

4) National Security Advisor: Mike Flynn. The guy has some straight fascist world views, and is also a raging Islamophobe. He likes to dabble in conspiracy theories, can't tell the difference between real and fake news, and tried to get his even nuttier son in on the team. I think we can all assume this position calls for somebody intelligent, with a sterling temperament. Flynn is not that.

5) Treasury Secretary: Steve Mnuchin. Another rich Wall Street elitist. Had a big hand in contributing to the financial crisis, then profited from it by buying up people's homes after the crash. Apparently his company, OneWest, also was accused of discrimination by two California watch dog groups.

6) Education Secretary: Another billionaire, Betsy DeVos. The same person who wants to basically gut public schools, and privatize the entire system. She's hostile to public education. But hey, private and charter schools will make tons of money. You know, because schools should absolutely be for-profit enterprises.

7) Labor Secretary: Andy Puzder, apparently as anti-worker and anti-union as they come. Wants to roll back any increases to the minimum wage.

Unless you're a big business owner, I really don't see how any of his picks are really going to improve the lives of most Americans. This administration is now run completely by the super rich. I'd say we're all ****ed for the next 4 years at least.

I think, what we will see, is well run states continue to succeed and poorly run states fall off a cliff.

In another 4 years, Trump will continue to blame  democrats and unless the democrats don't get their heads out of their asses then he will fool people into voting for him yet again.

I'd like to see us discuss something more practical, closer to home where we can actually find some middle ground and agreement.

What are YOU wearing to the apocalypse? I know I would be utterly mortified to show up and find that twa and I had the same outfit on, we need some coordination so we don't all clash and embarrass ourselves the way you just know Dallas fans will.

The EPA appointment is a sad one, whether you are a skeptic of climate change or not we should all be on the same page wanting cleaner, renewable energy. I'm not even sure how that can be debated and it seems we will be taking a step backwards in that department.

Well, like with the rest of them I'll take a wait and see approach. There will be plenty of time in the future to be pissed off and upset might as well not waste time on it now.

45 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think, what we will see, is well run states continue to succeed and poorly run states fall off a cliff.

In another 4 years, Trump will continue to blame  democrats and unless the democrats don't get their heads out of their asses then he will fool people into voting for him yet again.

I don't think Democrats can do much. 

Kansas is a Republican policy heaven and the state is in deep **** due to hilariously bad fiscal policy. And yet the voters go along with R politicians due to social issues. 

They would rather live in deep poverty with failing schools and low wages before they vote for a socially left Dem politician whose economic policies would help more.

Pruitt is the first one that I've hated (hated, not just disliked or thought there were better options within the Conservative Sphere).

And I am one who thinks we've skewed a bit towards environmental concerns over business concerns.  But isnt the ENTIRE POINT of the EPA to try and skew regulations etc towards the environment?  Let the Commerce Secretary provide opposing view points, and even win most of the time.  But it's important to at least HAVE the POV of the environment represented.

5 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Pruitt is the first one that I've hated (hated, not just disliked or thought there were better options within the Conservative Sphere).

And I am one who thinks we've skewed a bit towards environmental concerns over business concerns.  But isnt the ENTIRE POINT of the EPA to try and skew regulations etc towards the environment?  Let the Commerce Secretary provide opposing view points, and even win most of the time.  But it's important to at least HAVE the POV of the environment represented.

Careful. I think you can be kicked out of the GOP if you think the EPA should exist

9 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Absolutely.  You wouldn't put a pacifist in charge of defense, etc.  I regard the Education nominee in a similar vein, and Carson as head of HUD is nonsensical.

36 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I'm not very familiar with Pruitt, perhaps a different viewpoint will help them focus.

Not like we want warmongerers to head up Defense :)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article119094653.html

Donald Trump’s newest secretary of state option has close ties to Vladimir Putin

Tillerson brings an extensive resume of working with foreign governments over oil and gas contracts, and his company is aware of shifting tides in international affairs that could impact its bottom line.

“Rex Tillerson is a known and respected quantity in oil-producing countries,” said Jim Krane, an expert on energy geopolitics at Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy. “He’s got foreign business and impressive negotiation skills, but that’s a different matter than conducting foreign policy.”

Tillerson’s business and negotiation skills have put him in close contact with a widely discussed figure in Trump’s election — Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Putin’s association with Tillerson goes back to the 1990s, when Tillerson ran Exxon’s Russian operations. In 2013 the Russian president awarded Tillerson the Order of Friendship, one of Russia’s highest honors for foreigners.

“Anything Trump and Exxon do is going to be controversial,” Krane said. “If Trump really wanted to pursue his campaign goals of bettering U.S. relations with Russia, Tillerson would be someone who could probably carry that out. He’s on pretty good terms with Russia.”

Exxon spokesman Alan Jeffers declined to comment.

But Krane said that Exxon’s interests of remaining profitable in a rapidly changing economy can sometimes diverge from U.S. foreign policy interests, as was the case in 2015 when U.S. sanctions related to Russia’s support of Ukrainian rebels scuppered a potential $97 billion Exxon oil find in Siberia.

“If you think about places around the world where Exxon operates, there are often places with a lot of political risk with governments that are at odds with us,” Krane said. “Exxon cannot go to countries under embargo but it can go to places of strategic competitors like Russia and China.”

Archived