Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump and his cabinet/buffoonery- Get your bunkers ready!

brandymac27

Europeans fear Trump may threaten not just the transatlantic bond, but the state of their union

BERLIN — As President Trump prepares to deliver his second State of the Union address, the leaders of the United States’ closest allies in Europe are filled with anxiety.

They are unsure of whom to talk to in Washington. They can’t tell whether Trump considers them friends or foes. They dig through his Twitter feed for indications of whether the president intends to wreck the European Union and NATO or merely hobble the continent’s core institutions.

Officials say Trump, by design or indifference, has already badly weakened the foundation of the transatlantic relationship that American presidents have nurtured for seven decades. As Sigmar Gabriel, a former German foreign minister, put it: “He has done damage that the Soviets would have dreamt of.” 

European leaders worry that the next two years could bring even more instability, as Trump feels emboldened, and they are filled with fear at the prospect that Trump could be reelected. The situation has left the continent facing a strategic paradox no one has managed to crack.

“We can’t live with Trump,” Gabriel said. “And we can’t live without the United States.”

“In the beginning, we thought, ‘He’s campaigning. The position will change him.’ But he changed the position of the presidency,” Gabriel said. “I find it shocking that, in such a short time, he has managed to rip apart a relationship that has taken decades to build.”

Littered among the wreckage, as seen by the Europeans: an all-but-ruined Iran nuclear deal, tit-for-tat tariffs, a global climate accord that is missing the world’s largest economy, a possible arms race triggered by the cancellation of a key nuclear treaty, and a unilateral retreat from Syria without even a courtesy call to allies that work alongside U.S. forces. 

More than any one issue, however, there is the sense that Trump and Europe are fundamentally at odds.

“He’s opened a gate to the return to nationalist, sovereigntist instincts, which at least continental Europe — and the European Union in particular — has been the antithesis of,” said Robin Niblett, director of the London-based think tank Chatham House. “The E.U.’s the antithesis of the Trumpian view of the world.”

Click on the link for the full article

This is the first SOTU I am purposefully going to miss. 

Ive missed some or parts over the years I’ve watched since I was in middle school, but not purposefully. Something came up is all. 

I will not waste my time listening to a person who regularly contradicts himself within a few sentences. What he says is worthless. 

7 minutes ago, visionary said:

Jesus Christ, he's STILL going after McCain. What a ****ing child.

Not every target was a Democrat. He recounted again the story of what he considered Senator John McCain’s betrayal in voting against advancing a measure to repeal President Barack Obama’s health care program. Although Mr. McCain has since died, Mr. Trump remains upset.

“By the way,” Mr. Trump said, “he wrote a book and the book bombed.”

16 minutes ago, visionary said:

I plan to watch as much of it as I did of the Super Bowl.....   0%

(Actually I did catch some the last few minutes of the SB but not on tv...so I guess that's not entirely true)

But I'm sure I'll stumble on some SOTU footage online as well afterwards.

I'll read the fact checking tomorrow. 

Also, the rebuttle thing doesn't do it for me. They speak immediately after. Then you have Bernie doing his "look at me" bit. Then we'll have some Dem candidates posting theirs. 

I'd wait for tomorrow AM. Do the morning shows with a list of lies he told. Go down that list "lie, lie, lie, lie.. lie" and then ask "why aren't we doing a better job of calling him a liar on a scale we've never seen before? Lies about his businesses, his affairs, the size of his hands, his weight. You name it. He probably lied about it."

Archived