Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

2 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

How do you know that Wentz isn't a bust?

All these rookies who look good could be one-year wonders.  I have seen it for years.  Josh Freeman for one.  RG3 is another.  

Wentz has looked awful, actually (IMO).  In terms of ANY/A, which is one of the best all around measures of QB play, he is 29th in the league.  Every QB below him was benched for poor play.  His defense was good, so their record wasn't as awful as it could have been, which is likely why he wasn't benched.  Several QBs who were well ahead of him (Keenum, Kessler, Taylor) were benched, as well.  A prudent GM for the Eagles would draft another QB this year (they won't, though).

4 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

I thought horrible meant good?  He'll finish the year in the top 5 in ANY/A and DYAR, the first Redskins QB to accomplish that since Brad Johnson in 1999, and the first Redskins QB in history to finish in the top 8 in both DYAR and ANY/A in two consecutive years.  If he can keep playing as "horrible" as he played this year for the rest of his career, he will be widely regarded as a great and potentially HOF QB.

He had a couple of bad games this year, and unfortunately this one was one of them.  Bad games happen to just about every QB.

Who cares what you do throughout the yr if you come all small in the biggest moments?

Today reminded me of Cousins' 2014. That said, it was more or less an aberration. He led plenty of late game comebacks to take the lead with less than two minutes left in the game.

The three games that bother me most are Arizona, Carolina, and this one... for reasons I outlined in that thread.

4 minutes ago, DMVLeGenD said:

DO NOT PAY THE MAN! Kirk is who he is at this point. Year in and year out he proves he still has the haywire gene. Might as well cut our ties now instead of getting the same results every year.

I for one, look forward to 30 TDs, a bazillion passing yards, and 9-7 every year.

HOF

#GoldJacket

Missing the playoffs is one thing, but having our supposed franchise QB play like absolute dog**** in a must-win game is not OK. There is nothing positive to take from that, not even the money we will be saving by signing a QB that plays like dog**** in must-win games. There is no positive scenario here.

Kirk is a good QB, but not elite in any way at all. Elite QBs don't shrink away in big games. They step up. 

Name me one big game where Kirk has played well. He pads his numbers against subpar defenses. But against top 5 defenses he performs like he did today. Bad decisions. Overthrown passes, and a lack of confidence. 

We should still offer him a deal this offseason, but not for 20+ mil. He simply isn't worth that kind of contract, and we'd be better served drafting a QB and going into the season with a Tolzien or McCoy as a stopgap. I don't want us hamstrung to a contract and bypassing potentially better QBs available in the draft.  

2 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

Wentz has looked awful, actually (IMO).  In terms of ANY/A, which is one of the best all around measures of QB play, he is 29th in the league.  Every QB below him was benched for poor play.  His defense was good, so their record wasn't as awful as it could have been, which is likely why he wasn't benched.  Several QBs who were well ahead of him (Keenum, Kessler, Taylor) were benched, as well.  A prudent GM for the Eagles would draft another QB this year (they won't, though).

I belive in ANY/A, but not always.  Case in point:  Dak Prescott.  I believe that he will eventually regress.  The sample size is not big enough.  Let's see how he does next year, when coordinators have tape on him.  

The things that stick out to me this year.  Good overall year, but struggles in the big games when the pressure literally and figuratively is dialed up. Specifics...

Kirk lost his deep ball this year - consistently well over thrown for all but a few games last month.  Never under thrown. I am surprised it didn't get more discussion over the season.

Blitzing him (and most all QBs) kills his passer rating. He has almost no elusiveness. A bit like RG3, when under pressure all he can do is drop the hips / spin. It's like we have no plan for when a blitzer comes free, no hot route.... no plan. He had benefited from great pass pro for much of the past 2 seasons, which fell apart the past 2 months.

And he needs to be on schedule, or coaches have never taught him what to do off schedule. A jog towards the sideline and a loft out of bounds is a good play for him, when off schedule. Follows his read as he is quick to tell us. What happens when the reads aren't there, or gets flushed?

I feel like he would benefit from better coaching / play calling. We have no one better at QB, so its best to try a new play caller, or end play calling by committee. McVay upstairs.... what is his record up there anyways.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Missing the playoffs is one thing, but having our supposed franchise QB play like absolute dog**** in a must-win game is not OK. There is nothing positive to take from that, not even the money we will be saving by signing a QB that plays like dog**** in must-win games. There is no positive scenario here.

That's the tough part. We HAVE to sign him to a big whopper. Absolutely have to

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

Cousins had a hell of a year. There were moments where he looked elite - not a lot, not nearly as many as his cheer leaders say he had, but had a few. He looked the part. He seemed to get better every week, for a while there, and it was fun to watch. I feel comfortable he's over the mental problems, he looked confident and comfortable back there.

He also had times where he looked like complete garbage. I'm not blaming the season on him, because all other aspects of the team (running attack, run/pass defense, clock management) were so poor he never had the support to help get out of the rough patches. But he still looked like garbage. The first 3-4 weeks he looked the same as he did today - throwing behind receivers, overthrowing Jackson, locking in on guys.

It doesn't help when your dudes fall down, your running back can't do anything.

Over two years he's had some concerning moments, times when it was questionable whether Kirk understood the moment he was in. Again -  poor clock management from your coach doesn't help, Kirk had no one to bail him out.

The guy that can make your offene look like the scariest in the league by methodically moving down the field over and over with the possibility of big chunk plays at any moment, is also liable to spike the ball on 4th down with the game on the line.

Ultimately he has the upper hand in the contract because I don't think he's attached to this team in any way and there are about 25 other team's willing to take a shot at upgrading their QB if they see a chance.

I think Kirk can grow into a great qb. The likelihood goes up the better the team is around him that gruden and mcloughan put together.

But he has some major areas that need work. We'll have to pay him, and I think there's a good chance it works out, but he needs work.

Sorry he does not have the upper hand on the negotiations.  He has a lot of areas to improve on.  But not at $20 plus million per.  Sorry, he is not a $20 plus million per year QB.

Read an article in the WaPo of a guy with no links to the Skins just analyze his games.  He was rated bottom half of the QB.  

Not the garbage yards he complies.  But making plays in tight windows with game on the line.  

KC has shown a habit of ****ting the bed in big games. But lets be real.....who are we putting back there if we don't sign him? KC gives us the best chance to win games right now. You want to throw that away for the unknown (Sudfeld or McCoy)? No thanks. If SM builds the D this offseason, and we get a new OC/DC combo, I think we'd see a major difference next year. I still hold the opinion that if we have even a middle of the pack defense, we're 10-6 and already in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Flamzam said:

I do like how the benchmark for Cousins being a franchise QB keeps shifting. Last year he couldn't beat winning teams, now he can't win in "big moments". I look forward to what it will be next year.

Is it that surprising that people want a QB that gives them confidence he can win us a SB?  You know, the biggest "moment" of most players' careers?

Here is what I would do, because I believe Kirk Cousins is elite (for now, let's say Tony Romo level without even looking at stats).

I believe that KC will make the offense good even without elite receivers.  So I say, let both Garcon and Desean Jackson walk.  We don't need them because the QB is elite.  I would pay KC whatever he asks.  24 million? 25 million?  Whatever he wants. Does not matter to me.  It's not my money. 

Now, what you do with the money we save by letting Garcon and Jackson walk is to improve the defense.   The focus on free agency needs to be on the D.  

So with a good D and an elite QB, we can be an elite team.

The weapons on offense are good enough even without Garcon and Jackson.  

2 minutes ago, bradboyd80 said:

KC has shown a habit of ****ting the bed in big games. But lets be real.....who are we putting back there if we don't sign him? KC gives us the best chance to win games right now. You want to throw that away for the unknown (Sudfeld or McCoy)? No thanks. If SM builds the D this offseason, and we get a new OC/DC combo, I think we'd see a major difference next year. I still hold the opinion that if we have even a middle of the pack defense, we're 10-6 and already in the playoffs.

If I was McCloughan my goal would be to build a championship team, not a playoff first round exit team. We are likely to lose some of our firepower on offense and this defense needs a lot of work. Is Kirk the kind of QB that can step up his level of play when Desean is no longer keeping defenses honest and Reed is missing have the games again? I don't think he is, and he hasn't shown to be that guy either. 

1 minute ago, Flamzam said:

I do like how the benchmark for Cousins being a franchise QB keeps shifting. Last year he couldn't beat winning teams, now he can't win in "big moments". I look forward to what it will be next year.

Let's use last years' metric then: What winning teams did Cousins beat this year? The Packers who were playing terribly at the time, and the Giants before they hit their stride? That screams 25 million to you?

The thing that scares me the most is that watching games over the season, Kirk didn't make the offense as some people say but rather the offense made Kirk. Our receiving corps is very talented and its kind of mind blowing that it goes rather unnoticed. There were lots of time where they made tough catches and gained yards after the catch that made this offense look elite. Cousins also had times where he made elite throws and played GODLY but in my eyes, most of the time it was the receivers and I think that they havent gotten the recognition they deserve. What interests me is how Kirk will play without them next year. We should still resign him but I doubt we keep both Garcon and Jackson and i wonder if Kirk regresses if we cannot find an adequate replacement for whoever we lose

3 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Here is what I would do, because I believe Kirk Cousins is elite (for now, let's say Tony Romo level without even looking at stats).

I believe that KC will make the offense good even without elite receivers.  So I say, let both Garcon and Desean Jackson walk.  We don't need them because the QB is elite.  I would pay KC whatever he asks.  24 million? 25 million?  Whatever he wants. Does not matter to me.  It's not my money. 

Now, what you do with the money we save by letting Garcon and Jackson walk is to improve the defense.   The focus on free agency needs to be on the D.  

So with a good D and an elite QB, we can be an elite team.

The weapons on offense are good enough even without Garcon and Jackson.  

I hope this is a troll post

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Is it that surprising that people want a QB that gives them confidence he can win us a SB?  You know, the biggest "moment" of most players' careers?

Let me say this: we have an even mediocre D this year and our playoff spot is secured by week 15 if not earlier. The D happened to show up this game while Cousins did not (same story against the Panthers). They are still the primary reason why the Skins are sitting home this January. You go with the players who give you a chance to win the ballgame. Cousins had us there in the vast majority of the losses but had no help.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

The three games that bother me most are Arizona, Carolina, and this one... for reasons I outlined in that thread.

I don't think there is a single person, with an ounce of sense, that are not bothered by those games. They were his worst games. However, Kirk has earned the payday. He's had no running game whatsoever in the last two years--and of all the top QBs in the league, only Rodgers has done it without a decent running game. Everyone else has at least a respectable running game. 

I also find it funny that the Kirk's harshest critics on here are also the ones that more often than not trip over themselves to make excuses for the defense.

Archived