Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

30 TDs is being a bit nice. 25 TDs for a guy who threw for almost 5,000 yards is pretty bad. IIRC no QB who has thrown for 5,000 yards has thrown less than 35 TDs. Kirk's high yards is smoke and mirrors and fool's gold because it didn't translate into TDs. Being great between the 20s while consistently failing to throw TDs in the red zone relative to the number of trips there makes those passing yards pretty meaningless. His comp % in the red zone was a little under 47% this year....that is just craptastic. 

That sounds like an elite quarterback

**** **** ****. We had no running game against the panthers or giants. And the o line allowed pressure all day on Kirk in both games. Ya'll sit there and say QB's from worse teams who performed poorly are better but if they had the same seasons here you would be calling for their heads. You'd be happier with a 3 win season behind sudfeld than a playoff season with cousins. 

6 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So what is your solution to replacing Kirk?  Cause he will still get 20+ million per year, whether it's here or elsewhere.  He walks, then what?  Easy to just start talking crazy after a loss and not thinking long term.  

No solution. Just spend the money saved on other parts of the team. If we pay Kirk we are still looking at 8-8/9-7 best case scenario. **** that. Cowboys are gonna be winning 10+ games a year for a while so you have to consider that. We would basically have to do sort of what the Atlanta Braves did a year ago. They faced the music and realized that they couldn't compete with the Nats in the division. So sell out and build for the future. 

Just now, StephenDavis said:

No solution. Just spend the money saved on other parts of the team. If we pay Kirk we are still looking at 8-8/9-7 best case scenario. **** that. Cowboys are gonna be winning 10+ games a year for a while so you have to consider that. We would basically have to do sort of what the Atlanta Braves did a year ago. They faced the music and realized that they couldn't compete with the Nets in the division. So sell out and build for the future. 

This isn't baseball..........

48 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

left a first half timeout on the board on a drive that ultimately resulted in a missed 57-yard FG.

That was 80% on Gruden.

It is worrisome that Kirk doesn't feel confident enough to overrule Jay's bad coaching decisions, even in what could be his final game for us.  For example, when Gruden called for the punt team on 4th and 2 from the Giant's 41, Kirk should have sent them back and called his own play.  Kirk is a talented QB regardless, but it would be better if he were more of an asshole.

1 minute ago, StephenDavis said:

So sell out and build for the future. 

Didn't we just do that a couple years ago? At some point you gotta ride it out and see what you got.  If you rebuild every 3 years you are doomed. 

5 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So what is your solution to replacing Kirk?  Cause he will still get 20+ million per year, whether it's here or elsewhere.  He walks, then what?  Easy to just start talking crazy after a loss and not thinking long term.  

This is why you're not a GM in the NFL.  

Based on what we have seen from SM there is no way in hell he gives KC $20+ mil per year.

The writing was on the wall based on us franchising him this past offseason, regardless of the inflated yards KC didn't have a better season than last year so I would be shocked if he gets the big contract.

7 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I Wonder why that is, I honestly don't know.  It's obvious he is accurate has a decent arm.  What's going on down there, play calling, receivers, the running game or lack of calls for it?  You don't just forget how to play QB inside the 20's.  

I honestly don't know either. I think it could be a combination of not having a healthy Reed for some time as well as playing much better defenses this season. But there is no doubt he has regressed a ton this year in his red zone passing. He went from one of the better QBs in that area in 2015 to one of the worst in 2016. He doesn't even look like the same guy as last year in the red zone. Not decisive, bails and panics too fast, mediocre pocket presence. He just doesn't look like he has confidence there. That completion percentage stat was staggering to me. There was an article posted (I believe in this thread) that showed his stats when he has a healthy Reed to when he doesn't...and it was very concerning. His numbers went way downhill without Reed. Now, there's no doubt that Reed is an elite pass catching TE when healthy but any time your QB is so dependent on one guy it is worrying...especially if said QB is looking for a ginormous payday.

4 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I Wonder why that is, I honestly don't know.  It's obvious he is accurate has a decent arm.  What's going on down there, play calling, receivers, the running game or lack of calls for it?  You don't just forget how to play QB inside the 20's.  

It's an anomaly because he did not have those issues last year. Something very strange is going on with the red zone for the Skins this season but no one on the staff can seem to pinpoint what the hell it is or give a concrete answer. We know Cousins can score TDs in the red zone because his history shows us he can. I doubt it's a problem that we'll see in the future unless it's somehow tied to McVay and he's still around.

1 minute ago, HOF44 said:

Didn't we just do that a couple years ago? At some point you gotta ride it out and see what you got.  If you rebuild every 3 years you are doomed. 

Yeah I don't want us to do that either but at the same time Kirk is not worth that much money. Hopefully he and his agent realize that and take a lower long term deal.

4 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

That was 80% on Gruden.

It is worrisome that Kirk doesn't feel confident enough to overrule Jay's bad coaching decisions, even in what could be his final game for us.  For example, when Gruden called for the punt team on 4th and 2 from the Giant's 41, Kirk should have sent them back and called his own play.  Kirk is a talented QB regardless, but it would be better if he were more of an asshole.

The QB can call a timeout. Sure, Gruden failed there as well, but if you aren't 100% sure, call the timeout and deal with the repercussions later. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Now, there's no doubt that Reed is an elite pass catching TE when healthy but any time your QB is so dependent on one guy it is worrying...especially if said QB is looking for a ginormous payday.

Reed is great no doubt, but maybe it says something about our other receivers when he is out.  

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Have you not noticed that Kirk is a little sensitive? Highly reactive to the stress and emotion around him? 

Yeah it's one of his biggest weaknesses IMO.

Don't click this if you are easily offended:

Spoiler

I think that if we sign him long term, there's a risk -- not a big risk, but it's a risk --  that things go wrong in his personal life and that causes him to start playing like absolute dog****.  Not for a game here and there, but an entire season.  In fact, if his play does regress badly, I will suspect that is what is happening.

10 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

And if you look at last year he did not struggle nearly as much as he has this year in the RZ.  The slant to Reed today was a staple last year and you rarely saw it this year.    I don't know what is going on but his yardage, completion percentage is a non-factor if you can't get the ball in the EZ. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The QB can call a timeout. Sure, Gruden failed there as well, but if you aren't 100% sure, call the timeout and deal with the repercussions later. 

I wish he had!  What, was Gruden going to bench him? Maybe Scott gets mad and lets him walk in the offseason?  Cmon Kirk, this team needs balls, and because Gruden doesn't have any, yours need to be twice as big.

Baffling.

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

I don't know what is going on but his yardage, completion percentage is a non-factor if you can't get the ball in the EZ. 

Unless you know why that's happening you don't know if it's even on his shoulders.  I hope someone in the media does an in depth solid review of why that is in the offseason. 

7 minutes ago, Flamzam said:

It's an anomaly because he did not have those issues last year. Something very strange is going on with the red zone for the Skins this season but no one on the staff can seem to pinpoint what the hell it is or give a concrete answer. We know Cousins can score TDs in the red zone because his history shows us he can. I doubt it's a problem that we'll see in the future unless it's somehow tied to McVay and he's still around.

That is not what an anomaly is. One year he was very good, one year he was terrible. If he had been good in the red zone for 4 years or something and then had a poor year then that's an anomaly. It's just as possible that last year was the anomaly, probably mostly because he had a healthy Reed who was balling out all year long. His numbers without Reed go down dramatically.

22 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

Denver won a super bowl with Peyton Manning incapable of throwing a football. Not the best example dude. 

And completely missed playoffs this year with one of the best defenses in league, dude. Consistency is found with quarterbacks. I know we keep dreaming of the glory days but they are gone. Get with the times if you want to be competitive. Want to go back to what we have seen the last 20 years? Let your franchise quarterback walk. 

Just now, mistertim said:

That is not what an anomaly is. One year he was very good, one year he was terrible. If he had been good in the red zone for 4 years or something and then had a poor year then that's an anomaly. It's just as possible that last year was the anomaly, probably mostly because he had a healthy Reed who was balling out all year long. His numbers without Reed go down dramatically.

It's an anomaly either way for an offense to ball that hard within the 20s then fall flat afterwards. It just very rarely happens in this league to such a degree. I'm more inclined to believe this year was the fluke.

Just now, LaxBuddy21 said:

And completely missed playoffs this year with one of the best defenses in league, dude. Consistency is found with quarterbacks. I know we keep dreaming of the glory days but they are gone. Get with the times if you want to be competitive. Want to go back to what we have seen the last 20 years? Let your franchise quarterback walk. 

I'm providing examples and you're just ignoring them. The Ravens won with an awesome defense and good rushing attack so they decided to pay Flacco and have never recovered. 

Were the Saints right now. Tons of offense and no ability to run or stop anything on defense. Paying Kirk isn't going to improve this. It's putting lipstick on a pig. 

4 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

Joe Flacco is not a top ten QB, but he put on the finest postseason performance of any QB in the history of the league. The Ravens paid him a king's ransom to lock him up as their franchise QB and destroyed their team as a result. They haven't been in contention since. I'm a Kirk Cousins guy, but he needs a defense if we want him to win us the big one.

The situation with Kirk sucks IMO. Because we're basically in Flacco and Dalton territory. We have a decent QB who needs a talented supporting cast but who is also going to demand a huge payday simply because he isn't awful (though he did a good impression of being awful today) and the market is ludicrous for QBs. But it could seriously hamstring us if we end up losing some of the supporting pieces. ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't territory. But I wouldn't put it past SM to seriously balk at paying Kirk top 3 QB money. 

28 minutes ago, StephenDavis said:

No solution. Just spend the money saved on other parts of the team. If we pay Kirk we are still looking at 8-8/9-7 best case scenario. **** that. Cowboys are gonna be winning 10+ games a year for a while so you have to consider that. We would basically have to do sort of what the Atlanta Braves did a year ago. They faced the music and realized that they couldn't compete with the Nats in the division. So sell out and build for the future. 

I read this wrong at first and thought you managed to compare football (Cowboys), baseball (Braves) and basketball (Nets) free agency all in the same post.

Archived