Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

People are posting irrational bull**** because the loss is fresh. Kirk had a bad year? Completely asinine. The guy was a top 5 QB and won us more games than he lost us (this was one of those unfortunately.)

I absolutely toss Gruden and Barry before Kirk. Jay looked truly pathetic and lost on the sidelines tonight.

Just now, Flamzam said:

People are posting irrational bull**** because the loss is fresh. Kirk had a bad year? Completely asinine. The guy was a top 5 QB and won us more games than he lost us (this was one of those unfortunately.)

I absolutely toss Gruden and Barry before Kirk. Jay looked truly pathetic and lost on the sidelines tonight.

Kirk Cousins plays like a bum in big games.  Man, please.

Just now, Flamzam said:

You throw Gruden and keep Kirk? And you are calling other people's opinions asinine? Lol! Dude come on

Kirks crusaders need to just zip it for a week or so.  Now is not the time to discuss anything good he's done.  He laid an egg at home in the worst way in the biggest spot.  2 weeks after he laid an egg in another big spot.  

Who would have figured it would be Kirk on the cross for a loss and not Joe B?  I could have lived with the D losing it but Kirks performance today has me questioning everything.

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Kirk Cousins plays like a bum in big games.  Man, please.

Big games are subjective. Stats aren't. This is the same shade people threw at Romo his entire career. If Cousins is another Romo, then we would be lucky to sign him on day one of the offseason. If you guys want to play the QB carousel and throw away an easy top 10 QB hoping to find the next Brady in the rough, that's your opinion, but I hope Scot has more foresight than that. The Redskins have the leverage over Kirk now and should absolutely exercise it.

Just now, Flamzam said:

Big games are subjective. Stats aren't. This is the same shade people threw at Romo his entire career. If Cousins is another Romo, then we would be lucky to sign him on day one of the offseason. If you guys want to play the QB carousel and throw away an easy top 10 QB hoping to find the next Brady in the rough, that's your opinion, but I hope Scot has more foresight than that. The Redskins have the leverage over Kirk now and should absolutely exercise it.

All of that doesn't take away from the fact that he plays like a bum in big spots.  Just like Romo.  

5 minutes ago, Flamzam said:

I doubt anyone really wants to toss KC, I think it has to do with the amount of money his agent will want to sign a deal.

Its going to be heavily debated for the next several months.

SM didn't sign him to a long-term deal this past offseason when many thought he would so I don't expect him to give KC top 5 money, SM seems a bit cheap on QB's so I'm not sure what to expect but KC didn't make his decision easier with his performances against Carolina and today.

6 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Honest question guys. 

If you can keep Kirk for a bunch of money or trade him away for some picks and get a Wentz type QB in the draft, what do you do? 

Cause that's where I'm leaning, and I like KC.. he just pukes on him self every time in big games.

How do you know that Wentz isn't a bust?

All these rookies who look good could be one-year wonders.  I have seen it for years.  Josh Freeman for one.  RG3 is another.  

4 minutes ago, RonBurgandy said:

Cousins is NOT clutch when it matters. There is no difference between 4-12 and 8-7-1. What you ask? BOTH records don't make playoffs. Except one will get a draft pick thats decent. 

Fitting name for someone who seems lost in every post made.  First qb to lead skins to back to back winning seasons in 25 years with a defense that was last in the league (and towards the bottom last year).

was a poor day today, oh well, we weren't winning in Seattle. Get the defense right and balance out some run game and this is a contender with Kirk.  Not going to, and never was going to, with the defense/running game we have currently have.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Hopefully not as horrible as that throw

I thought horrible meant good?  He'll finish the year in the top 5 in ANY/A and DYAR, the first Redskins QB to accomplish that since Brad Johnson in 1999, and the first Redskins QB in history to finish in the top 8 in both DYAR and ANY/A in two consecutive years.  If he can keep playing as "horrible" as he played this year for the rest of his career, he will be widely regarded as a great and potentially HOF QB.

He had a couple of bad games this year, and unfortunately this one was one of them.  Bad games happen to just about every QB.

4 minutes ago, -JB- said:

All of that doesn't take away from the fact that he plays like a bum in big spots.  Just like Romo.  

No kidding. The question with Kirk all along has been if he can come thru in big games. Everyone knows he can put up numbers and play well when everything's working.

To then come up with an excuse that basically says "well, we have to judge him by numbers and can't judge him on big games"... come on.

I mean, can I tell my boss he's not allowed to judge me based on whether I show up for work? How about I tell all the women in my area that they can't judge me on looks, or personality, or... well, you get the point.

11 minutes ago, Flamzam said:

Cousins needs to win games that matter.  He didnt do that this year.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Kirks crusaders need to just zip it for a week or so.  Now is not the time to discuss anything good he's done.  He laid an egg at home in the worst way in the biggest spot.  2 weeks after he laid an egg in another big spot.  

Who would have figured it would be Kirk on the cross for a loss and not Joe B?  I could have lived with the D losing it but Kirks performance today has me questioning everything.

Exactly 

Cousins had a hell of a year. There were moments where he looked elite - not a lot, not nearly as many as his cheer leaders say he had, but had a few. He looked the part. He seemed to get better every week, for a while there, and it was fun to watch. I feel comfortable he's over the mental problems, he looked confident and comfortable back there.

He also had times where he looked like complete garbage. I'm not blaming the season on him, because all other aspects of the team (running attack, run/pass defense, clock management) were so poor he never had the support to help get out of the rough patches. But he still looked like garbage. The first 3-4 weeks he looked the same as he did today - throwing behind receivers, overthrowing Jackson, locking in on guys.

It doesn't help when your dudes fall down, your running back can't do anything.

Over two years he's had some concerning moments, times when it was questionable whether Kirk understood the moment he was in. Again -  poor clock management from your coach doesn't help, Kirk had no one to bail him out.

The guy that can make your offene look like the scariest in the league by methodically moving down the field over and over with the possibility of big chunk plays at any moment, is also liable to spike the ball on 4th down with the game on the line.

Ultimately he has the upper hand in the contract because I don't think he's attached to this team in any way and there are about 25 other team's willing to take a shot at upgrading their QB if they see a chance.

I think Kirk can grow into a great qb. The likelihood goes up the better the team is around him that gruden and mcloughan put together.

But he has some major areas that need work. We'll have to pay him, and I think there's a good chance it works out, but he needs work.

Here is the bottomline for me:  Your QB will not always be good.  It could be due to the opposing defense, or he is having a bad day.  It happens.  When you have a situation like that, you hope that the other aspects of the team are strong:  defense, special teams, the offensive line, etc.  

The offensive line was terrible today.  Look at the run game.  There was so terrible that they had to abandon it.  Robert Kelley did nada.  

I believe in advanced stats, but not always.  I am of the belief that this is a mediocre offensive line.  They typically don't give up a whole lot of sacks due to Cousins.  They have had multiple games like today.

As bad as this is to think, this might have been the best outcome for the team long term. Kirk played himself out of a whole lotta money tonight despite having an awesome year overall. We were looking like we might have to break the bank. As cool as back to back playoffs would be, getting bounced next week versus Seattle means very little. I'm looking forward to what Kirk can do with a defense and a running game across a whole season.

Just for the record...

Hes definitely had more bad days than  just today.  Had he not had a bad day 2 weeks ago on MNF we wouldn't be in this position today.  

You can like his future potential all you want but don't lie and act like he just had a bad day today.  He's been a major disappointment pretty much all of December.

Archived