Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rob Kelley Thread.

TradeTheBeal!

I like me some Rob Kelly.

I think the only thing that has me overly salty this year is that it has taken injury to get guys who should be playing on the field.  Defensively with Bruton, and offensively with Kelly.  I know Matt Jones was a 3rd round pick last year, but it was pretty obvious pretty early that they needed to make a change.

Kelly is a stud man, I mean 4.4 per carry against the Vikings?  Seriously good running and most of the times the holes were not exactly there.  Even if he gets hit for a loss he turns it in for a nice gain.  Also I would love to see Brown, from what we are hearing from practice he is a stud on the scout team. Maybe one of these games we have a very comfortable lead into the 4th quarter and Brown can run the rock a little.

9 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

Crazy Statistics of the day Redskins fans

Rob Kelley has broken as many tackles (12) during his two games starting (43 carries) as Matt Jones has all year on 100 handoffs.

I mean, it's been evident since preseason that he was the best back on the roster. I understand giving Jones a shot because of his draft status but Kelley should've been the starter from the beginning. I'm glad they made the change and I doubt he surrenders the job.

2 hours ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Looks like my two UDFA guys are starting to emerge.

Hope someone starts a Mo Harris thread pronto!

I've been ranting against Ryan Grant for a while now. Missed assignments, wrong routes, falling down, etc every time he gets an opportunity. Said he would cost us yesterday when I realized he was starting for DJax and sure as ****, the guy falls down on a huge 3rd down play. PI or not, he simply fell down...again. 

Back to Harris. Guy looks huge out there compared to defenders. Caught all three passes thrown his way yesterday. More importantly he got open on 2 big third down plays, Cousins looked his way and he caught both passes cleanly and got both feet down, BOTH for first downs. That is **** hot if you ask me and given the fact he's a bigger guy there's no need not to use him in blocking situations as well. Point being, if I'm the coaches Grant is dead last on the receiver pecking order and inactive with Ross and especially Harris ahead of him. Not only has Grant proven he'll let us down or hurt us, but Harris most certainly has earned the right to be the next man up. 

31 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

I mean, it's been evident since preseason that he was the best back on the roster. I understand giving Jones a shot because of his draft status but Kelley should've been the starter from the beginning. I'm glad they made the change and I doubt he surrenders the job.

I dislike how several of the articles I've read said he's a consistent back that just gets 5 yards, which is great, but isn't explosive and won't get big gains. He ripped off runs of 14 and 21 yards this week and has a 45 yarder to his name this year in limited action. He's certainly had several big runs this year in a small number of carries and passes the eye test - when he has a good hole he most certainly explodes through it with excellent burst. His cuts are strong and quick. The runs of 4-5 yards are excellent and he always gets a little more than what is there, even when defenders get into the backfield. His one lost yardage play yesterday should have lost 5 yards and he slipped out of a tackle then drug his defender forward and only lost 1 yard. That's +4 yards from a play where the blocking should have resulted in a big loss. He's not an All-Pro but he's got plenty of explosion. Perhaps the top end speed isn't excellent but his burst and cutting has been impressive. 

4 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Rob Kelley has broken as many tackles (12) during his two games starting (43 carries) as Matt Jones has all year on 100 handoffs.

1 hour ago, William Barbour said:

Crazy Statistics of the day Redskins fans

Not for nothing but I am a stickler for giving credit due or naming sources. When I post something that someone here says on twitter I always quote it so they know. I also make sure I include links on blurbs I use. I know the guy above meant no ill will here, I just wanted to give Pat his due,,, had to dig it up somewhere. 

4 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Not for nothing but I am a stickler for giving credit due or naming sources. When I post something that someone here says on twitter I always quote it so they know. I also make sure I include links on blurbs I use. I know the guy above meant no ill will here, I just wanted to give Pat his due,,, had to dig it up somewhere. 

Integrity- when its there you take it for granted, when its not you sure as hell notice

Need to fair here. Preseason does not always translate to on the field success. Also, we do not see what the coaches see in practice.

Having said that, Rob has done a great job with the opportunity. He runs much harder and makes quick decisions. He has that always falling forward mentality. Several times yesterday he was stopped for little or no gain, only to gut out a few yards. Teammates see that and rally around a guy like that.

Unlike others, I do not think it was a draft position issue as much as Jones showed some flashes last year and they wanted to give him a legitimate chance to keep the job. But at least they made the change. Good for Kelley! Hope he keeps it up! Good opportunity next week. We should be able to run on GB.

49 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

I would generally agree - but in the case of twitter quotes it messes up the entire page. As least it does for me. There is huge white space and the page will not stay still (mods are away and trying to fix.) So they may not have wanted to do that to the page. Just a guess.

Just now, LD0506 said:

Integrity- when its there you take it for granted, when its not you sure as hell notice

Maybe it is the journalism I took in HS and college, or parental morality. Which ever it has stuck with me. 

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Need to fair here. Preseason does not always translate to on the field success. Also, we do not see what the coaches see in practice.

Having said that, Rob has done a great job with the opportunity. keeps it up! Good opportunity next week. We should be able to run on GB.

I would generally agree - but in the case of twitter quotes it messes up the entire page. As least it does for me. There is huge white space and the page will not stay still (mods are away and trying to fix.) So they may not have wanted to do that to the page. Just a guess.

As for being fair, they started Bruton over Duke, even the ES novice saw it coming. Jones? was given fair shot. Probably cost us a game. 

For the Tweets stuff, I'll test one in text form and let me know if it still boggles the page, ahhahaa. 

User Actions   
Following

Scott AllenVerified account
‏@ScottSAllen
Quinton Dunbar explains the origin of Kirk Cousins's postgame 'ohhhweee!'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/11/14/quinton-dunbar-clears-up-the-confusion-about-kirk-cousinss-celebration/?tid=sm_tw_ps

5 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Maybe it is the journalism I took in HS and college, or parental morality. Which ever it has stuck with me. 

As for being fair, they started Bruton over Duke, even the ES novice saw it coming. Jones? was given fair shot. Probably cost us a game. 

Edit

Tweets in text form works better. Does not hose the page up.

Again, preseason does not always translate. Also, we don't see practice. Some guys practice really well but it just does not translate to game day. With Duke, it was probably really hard to tell since he was coming off of 2 injury seasons. In the end though they made the switch and released Bruton. Fans are really impatient which is understandable. But the team has to be more deliberate. If they gave up on either Bruton or Jones or anyone else and they go somewhere else - the pages would be filled with - see we let another guy because they were not patient enough. You can't honestly tell me that would not happen :-)

Since I do not see what happens in practice I have to assume they are making the best decision they can. What I like about this staff is they are not afraid of making a change. It may take a little longer than fans would like, but they are making the changes needed to make the team better.

42 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Fair enough, but it was actually from an article posted by Ben Standing that I read

Also, twitter quotes on my phone don't work very well to this forum. 

Just relaying information. Never once claimed it was mine

Philips looked great in preseason and was stealing reps from a better player in Fuller. He's not even on our roster now.

I think it's fair to say preseason isn't a real game, so you can't put much weight in it, but its closer than practice.

Grant is a great blocker and does a lot of things well, but he can't ****ing catch. Ross is pretty worthless too. I'd have rather started the year with Mo and Thorpe instead of those two.

I don't know what exactly they're seeing in practice, but some of these guys they started with ain't cutting it.

Makes me think the 0-2 start and pissed off players might not of had a happy lockerroom.

44 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

yup. 

7 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

Fair enough, but it was actually from an article posted by Ben Standing that I read

That is really what I meant....said you meant no ill will, but that the info was from that guy...didn't know where it came from originally. I had posted that one page back. 

And please next time just include the guys name, I'll track down and post the tweet....appreciate it. 

22 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

You handled that well. Btw, you can do as he requests, but he is not in charge, you obviously in your response, show that you do not lack integrity, and forum rules ultimately decides what goes and what doesn't

What I loved about Alfred Morris was that he was a great doubles hitter. What I meant by that is that he would often get on base and had enough sneaky power/speed to pull off way more 20 yard runs than he probably should have. Right now, Kelley seems like a good singles hitter. He may not get you many big runs at all, but he doesn't really put you behind the chains. He'll get you those 3 yards, 4 yards, and maybe occasionally burst for 8 or more, but he rarely gives you a negative play.

There's something to said about getting on base even if you need more hits in the line up to get that RBI.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

What I loved about Alfred Morris was that he was a great doubles hitter. What I meant by that is that he would often get on base and had enough sneaky power/speed to pull off way more 20 yard runs than he probably should have. Right now, Kelley seems like a good singles hitter. He may not get you many big runs at all, but he doesn't really put you behind the chains. He'll get you those 3 yards, 4 yards, and maybe occasionally burst for 8 or more, but he rarely gives you a negative play.

There's something to said about getting on base even if you need more hits in the line up to get that RBI.

Perfect way to put it. Would rather have a guy that sees the ball better, gets more quality ab's, and make contact more than an impressive looking power hitter that can knock it out of the park, but strikes out a ton

I'm bummed he didn't get the century mark, but he has impressed me more and more each game

I wouldn't call our line dominant in setting up the run, where I suspect Matt Jones might thrive better in [a dominant running line that is].  He just doesn't do very well when caught in the backfield.

Kelley on the other hand does these beautiful jukes that have regularly turned a negative play into a positive.  That is perfect for our line right now.

Archived