Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN-Brandon Scherff Isn't Just Blocking Defensive Linemen-He's Destroying Them

SkinsGuy

Brought this over from the BRBN. It's a great article about the 2015 first round pick. :815:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/brandon-scherff-destroying-defensive-lineman-eagles-ravens-fletcher-cox

In recent weeks, simply blocking a defensive lineman using solid technique and fundamentals hasn't been enough for Brandon Scherff.

Instead, at times, the burly second-year guard has opted to forgo quietly sealing running lanes and quickly getting to the second level in favor of something else: Embarrassing his opponents by throwing them.

No, that's not a figure of speech. Scherff has picked up this awesome habit where he literally chucks dudes who have had the audacity to engage him in the trenches.

click on the link for more

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2016/10/18/brandon-scherff-makes-the-meanest-pancakes-watch/#.WAeS9EGCzwM.twitter

WASHINGTON — Offensive linemen may never get the respect they deserve, but one of the more exciting post-game rituals to come out of the first six weeks of this NFL season has been admiring Redskins guard Brandon Scherff blowing up defenders.

After nearly a season and a half of watching Scherff, there’s no question why GM Scot McCloughan didn’t hesitate when drafting him fifth overall. Guard, tackle, center, no matter — put this rugged, boorish human anywhere on the line and he will ruin someone’s day.

He epitomizes McCloughan’s favorite label, a “football player.”

I hate when someone comes here to leave a compliment abt scherrf to only also mention they wanted big cat williams....." it cant be oh man we drafted a stud! This guy is playing his behnd off for us... we couldnt have made a better choice!"

I love me some scherrf... i love how every run we have thwt makes it past the line of scrimmage for most of the play scherrf is the redskin whos furthest up the field.  Proud to have you as a skin brandon... lets teach those youngsters that come in behind you the worth ethic and show them the will it takes to excel on the oline.

Was pumped when we drafted Scherff.  Absolute mauler in college.  The OL was ignored for so long (aside from the Trent Williams pick obviously) I loved this pick even though Leonard Williams was a can't miss talent at DL.  I just think with all the intangibles, McCloughen felt that Scherff was a sure fire can't miss guy to change the attitude on the OL.  Bravo.

3 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

I see his mean streak is starting to assert itself now, dude is playing well. Anytime you completely nullify an all pro guy like Fletcher Cox, you know you're on to something.

That's it right there.  I honestly forgot that Fletcher Cox was on the field for most of the day.  That's about the highest compliment you can pay Scherff, because he ATE the best Defensive Tackle in The Division!  Much props.
-------------------------------
Also, I love that nasty streak of his!  To be a Physical Offense, you need a dude like that up front.  A bully.  An enforcer.  Let's hope Jay Gruden & Sean McVay have an interest in playing this brand of ball - because with guys like Scherff, Williams, & Garcon on Offense, we can strong-arm defenses.  It's time.

the game has slowed down for him, & now he's able to just play football...this appears to be a very frightening turn of events for NFL defenders.  Scherff has helped turn this OL into one of the best in the league, & i look forward to his mauling presence on Sundays.

also...here's one more clip from the Eagles game last week:

Archived