Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN-Brandon Scherff Isn't Just Blocking Defensive Linemen-He's Destroying Them

SkinsGuy

I'd hate to rock the boat, but given Scherff's progression and Moses' regression, is it a crazy idea to swap them? 

Long is another example of my confusion with the coaches. He seemed to be better than Licht, just like Blackmon and Nacho were better than DHall and Bruton, yet it took injuries to force the subsitution. 

Either way, coming off such a dominant win in the trenches on both side of the ball, I don't see how we can't repeat, if not improve on that, against a soft Lions team. My only worry- trap game.

3 hours ago, FunkedUp said:

Scherff is just one example of a new trend under the Gruden regime, a trend that I welcome but past experience makes it hard to accept, significant player development. Just on the O-Line guys like Moses, Scherff, and Long have gotten significantly better since they arrived. This is also true throughout the units. In the previous bunch of regimes we just never seemed to have more than a couple of players that actually got better. I am not sure if it is the coaching, the scouting, or both. But I love it.

I agree with this so much, and it seems to be based on the type of coaches he went after. Thats something I heard about Barry and McVay is how smart they were and how good they were at communicating. To me that meant they would probably be good teachers. There is more that goes into being a coach, but I thought at minimum we would be able to develop guys. Add that to the fact that Scot has a philosophy centered around the draft and getting guys who have a high ceiling and it seems like a recipe for long term success.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Arie K. isn't competing (with a rookie or young FA) for the starting LG spot next offseason if we choose to let go of SL. And how long did we struggle at RT and RG before Scherff and Moses? People thought Moses was a bust because of a rookie gaff and the fact that he didn't get playing time over Compton/et al at RT, but it seems that part of Gruden's philosophy is not throwing young players in before "they're ready" and when "they're ready" may be an inexact coach's decision which is probably why we've been begging for more Fuller, Cravens, Lanier, Spaight, etc. but Gruden isn't playing them.

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree with this so much, and it seems to be based on the type of coaches he went after. Thats something I heard about Barry and McVay is how smart they were and how good they were at communicating. To me that meant they would probably be good teachers. There is more that goes into being a coach, but I thought at minimum we would be able to develop guys. Add that to the fact that Scot has a philosophy centered around the draft and getting guys who have a high ceiling and it seems like a recipe for long term success.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Arie K. isn't competing (with a rookie or young FA) for the starting LG spot next offseason if we choose to let go of SL. And how long did we struggle at RT and RG before Scherff and Moses? People thought Moses was a bust because of a rookie gaff and the fact that he didn't get playing time over Compton/et al at RT, but it seems that part of Gruden's philosophy is not throwing young players in before "they're ready" and when "they're ready" may be an inexact coach's decision which is probably why we've been begging for more Fuller, Cravens, Lanier, Spaight, etc. but Gruden isn't playing them.

haha, thought your SL was Spencer Long, and I was sitting here thinking to myself, why in the hell would he go anywhere? dude is playing great at C, I think he shores it up for the next 5+ years. Then I realized you meant Shawn Lauvao.. Hopefully another OL or two gets drafted this year and we keep that homegrown o-line pipeline chugging along.. I'm liking that 4/5 of our OL is drafted, and if SL leaves next year, the entire starting OL would all be draftees.. that is awesome and another example of how things have changed around here for the better.

and you're right, RT was an absolute turnstile for years until Moses came along. He may not be the most technically proficient guy out there, but he gets it done for the most part.. (bear hug ftw!)

13 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yes. I'm talking about 2 of our starters who were recently drafted the year before in the 3rd round. You can't say we don't draft OLine when the previous year we drafted two fifths on our starting line.

For years the Redskins ignored the OL.  That is fact.  It's great to see Moses/Long/Scherff playing well together. That's my whole point LOL

instead of being put into the doghouse like hte previous admisntration here, Gruden gives his guys a chance to play and keep their jobs.  It works.  Players play more confident with this coaching staff and arent afraid to make mistakes because the coaches has their back and also willing to play the best guy.  Moses is playing at C+/B- and thats good enough for a RT. You dont need a allpro RT when you have 2 all-pros already on the line

13 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

instead of being put into the doghouse like hte previous admisntration here, Gruden gives his guys a chance to play and keep their jobs.  It works.  Players play more confident with this coaching staff and arent afraid to make mistakes because the coaches has their back and also willing to play the best guy.  Moses is playing at C+/B- and thats good enough for a RT. You dont need a allpro RT when you have 2 all-pros already on the line

I feel SO much better about Moses after seeing what Lorenzo Alexander is doing to the rest of the league. In preseason, I was like I love Zo, but he's not Dwight Freeny. Well maybe he is.

34 minutes ago, Gizmo 3squire said:

I'm gonna be pissed if he doesn't get a Pro Bowl birth. Dude is a monster on the line. Loved this pick

Scherff is literally a Hog reincarnated imo. Just nasty!

Not only is he hip-tossing pro bowl DTs but he's also going to rock the OB ward!

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I feel SO much better about Moses after seeing what Lorenzo Alexander is doing to the rest of the league. In preseason, I was like I love Zo, but he's not Dwight Freeny. Well maybe he is.

Was LA that good and we missed it?  Does this tell us how bad our talent evaluation was or how bad our DCs have been at figuring out how to use his skill?

47 minutes ago, TysonM said:

Did anyone here want Brandon Scherff balling out for the New York Giants?

I relish imagining the look on John Mara's face when Scot made the pick, and the face he must make these days whenever he sees how well Scherff is doing.

Don't put the Giants into this thread.

When we picked Scherff everyone mocked us for going for them and thought the Giants were very smart and got a steal in Flowers.

While too many it looked like the Giants panicked and took Flowers when they really wanted to get Scherff. Honestly, considering the way he's playing, we might even have the steal of the 2015 draft.

14 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Amazing what 4 wins in a row will do. Earlier this year you had a fair contingent wanting to treat him as barely better than Vinny

Last years draft was amazing.  If Jarrett didn't get nerve damage possibly derailing his career, he's most likely starting SS right now.  The first two games this year were brutal, however, it's a looooong season lol

People don't seem to realize how important interior linemen are, but then you see how our run game completely died when Shaun Lauvao went down last year. 

You get three mean fatasses in the middle and a bruising RB that knows to keep his feet moving and it's almost unstoppable.

Not sure if there's some revisionism (if i may) here, or if what's being referred to specifically is the one extreme calling out the other in hindsight (never a great look...though warranted on occasion), but i remember many not being enamored with Scherff, educating many on the philosophy behind why drafting an OG at 5 was an oddity (because many were clueless as to why this was historically the case), & sharing their concerns, along with various other players being discussed, about Scherff.

My contention at the time (verified by tape)...which he continued to demonstrate often last year...was that he too often looks to "Scherff" people & either whiffs, or loses technique.  He missed a bunch on the 2nd level as well.

Aslo a major point of contention was that this is coachable, & that he should correct this under Callahan if he has a decent work ethic.

I wanted the Big Cat.  I got hot for like a good 15 minutes before i calmed down, trusted in Scot, & the process, & understood that, although history isn't a fan of taking OGs that high...our situation merited the play, & by golly...it has paid off.  There were definitely some who were/are a little too maniacally involved in that decision, & who still won't let it go, but it needs to be said that Scherff had his blemishes...showed them off a bit last year, & is off the platform with gusto this year. 

Ain't it grand to actually develop homegrown talent?  Gee whiz...what a ****ing concept.

9 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Right after the pick last year I remember a fellow ESer complaining about how Scherff was not worth taking since he'd probably be used as a guard and we couldn't justify wasting a 1st round pick on a G. He also complained that based on what he'd seen of Scherff's college play, he didn't finish plays and wasn't "on" 100%. That made me go back and review about 2 year's worth of games, breaking them down. What I found is pretty much that he didn't take plays off, he almost always finished the plays, and he generally eliminated or obliterated his assignment. 

I love the way he plays. Hail to the Scherff!

Yeah, who the hell said he doesn't "finish plays"?  That's exactly what he was known for coming out, he pushes guys into the ground after already throwing them to the ground.

And year 2 he looks as comfortable doing it as he did in college.  good stuff.

Archived