Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Baker vs Joe Barry

zoony

22 minutes ago, UK_HOG said:

Jim Schwartz and Wade Philips were both unemployed when Barry was made DC. 

Both of those guys have head coaching ability and are highly respected. If things went south, both of those guys would easily be in talks to replace Jay or at least fill in temporary. Cleary, Barry would never get that benefit of the doubt. Jay is safe in that sense. Good on Jay for hiring him. Sucks for us

51 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The thing is, it wasn't just the fact that he was yelling either.  It was just an awkward confrontation all the way around.  He was clearly very angry and appeared to have not an ounce of respect for Barry.  Joe B. looked scared and embarrassed.

What I was saying earlier. Yea we need holes to fill in on defense specifically the DT and possibly Safety position, but the ultimate problem is scheme and playcalling. We have half way decent players on both sides of the ball, it's the schemes and coaching. Prime example: Look at the Pats and Belichick. One man falls, another one steps up and is plugged right into the system. It's been an issue with this team for sometime.

You build a solid and awesome foundation on both sides of the ball, and the talent will fall into place.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps I'm making this up but I could swear there were rumblings that Schwartz wouldn't even consider the Redskins because of his disdain for Dan.

Yeah, I remember that. I think he talked to him in 09' and pissed Schwartz off, so he got the Lions HC gig and we got ****ing Zorn.

Philips wanted a lot of money and full control, even of the players picked, so that's why he was out. Plus, I think they wanted to build a coaching staff, even if it took a few years for them to learn.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Both of those guys have head coaching ability and are highly respected. If things went south, both of those guys would easily be in talks to replace Jay or at least fill in temporary. Cleary, Barry would never get that benefit of the doubt. Jay is safe in that sense. Good on Jay for hiring him. Sucks for us

There is absolutely no way that "he could take my job" comes into play when  hiring assistant coaches. That's an ESism.

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

We will not resolve much nor improve much while this guy is the DC.  We actually have the talent but this guy is simply bad.

I don't know about that. Our ILBs are awful and so is the Safety position. We also keep running a true 3-4 on running downs without the proper personnel.

#35 and #51 shouldn't be on the field.  I'd sacrifice #51s intelligence for Su'a Cravens' playmaking ability.  Su'a can't be any worse at taking on blocks than #51.  

I believe I saw Duke Iheanacho fill in a bit yesterday at safety, and he did fine.  Couldn't tell which safety spot he was playing, he probably has to know both.  

31 minutes ago, zoony said:

It was actually back when they hired Zorn... They wanted Schwarz but he refused on advice from Coughlim. Good advice, though he ended up in Detroit anyway haha

I was actually referring to what Marty said about working for Snyder back when he was an on-air analyst...a year later he was coach of the Redskins lol.

20 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

#35 and #51 shouldn't be on the field.

We maybe lacking in talent at certain positions but coaches supposed to put them in the best position to succeed.  For example, 3 man rush on 3rd and long is putting the D in a position to fail.  The QB has as long as he needs to find an open man and someone will always come open given the time and lack of pressure the QB has.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Baker vs. Barry is one thing. The O players demanding runs and getting upset with McVay is another.

Seems there are revolts on all sides.

Have to admit I'm on Baker's side. Sick of three man rushes coupled with soft coverages and open receivers.

Yeah, it's not a good trend when the players start dictating to the coaches and will not bode well for the rest of the season if it continues.

Thank you Chris Baker.

I wish there was a site that tracked aggressive play calling. I think our defense was more aggressive after the exchange. It's not always about blitzing, but blitz counts seem the easiest indicator of a DC's aggression.

Oh, and thanks for pancaking #DrunkEli as well.  You know he had drunkface with the Shake n Baker laying on him.

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Seems like (from post game talk) the players weren't too happy about Barry's passive system and as a result we got more aggressive. I hope thats the case moving forward because we have some athletic guys who can win a lot of one-on-one matchups (they'll lose some too), but he needs to trust his players more and have consequences like more playing of the guys who make mistakes less (I'm looking at Cravens over Compton).

But Barry has a gameplan, damn it!  And he's sticking to it!  To paraphrase Bryce Harper, dude is a clown coach, bro.  The sooner he's gone, the better.  We have given up more third and long conversions over the first three weeks than some times give up in an entire season.  And, we make it look easy.  Our premier OLBs--Kerrigan and Preston Smith are no where to be found.  I haven't seen one creative stunt or blitz along the D-line.  This guy is actually worse than Greg Blatche.  I never thought I'd write those words.

Joe Berry is absolute trash and I want him fired. Was never a fan of his and don't think I ever will be. I appreciate that he's got a job and as our D Cordinator as a fan I should be rooting for him but the guy is terrible and honestly isn't going to figure out this late in his career something he should already know. I blame the decision to not use Norman correctly against the Pukes in week 2 as the primary reason we lost that game. Had he shadowed him the whole game, I suspect we would have won that game. Baker yelling at him is wrong but honestly if your leader is always screwing up and making you look bad and you know that's only going to cost you money because he's an idiot then how could you blame anyone for getting pissed at him on TV? Barry is not a good coordinator and while he doesn't deserve embarrassment like that he can't be the reason were losing and looking bad. I hope Scott steps in and replaces him today

Barry isn't great by any means but this D is just so behind on talent its ridiculous. I think the only guys that would start on another team are Norman, Kerrigan, Breeland and Baker. Maybe with a better coach we're somewhere in the 20th rank instead of near 30th on D but that's about it.

There was defensive end Chris Baker, screaming at defensive coordinator Joe Barry on the sideline over what goal-line defenses he was calling. “He called one thing that he thought was best, and I had my feelings on what we should have been in,” Baker said frankly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/if-redskins-players-are-calling-the-shots-sticking-together-was-the-right-call/2016/09/25/222273a2-8358-11e6-ac72-a29979381495_story.html

Archived