Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Baker vs Joe Barry

zoony

Josh Norman's talent and timely turnovers are making Barry look better than he is, and he looks terrible.........which ain't saying much. We were getting absolutely GASHED up the middle all day long. No adjustment to address that. As someone else said on here, if your personnel isn't too your liking, you scheme to mask their shortcomings. I'm not convinced that Barry knows how to do that.

You see good DCs go to a team and even that first year they look good, perhaps top 10. Barrys second year and our defense is still swiss cheese, its not going to change. You are either a good DC or you are not, can anyone point to a DC that started off badly and after a couple of years became good?

I know it's hard to hear this, but it's not all on Barry.... Yes, he's struggling but he's also the scapegoat... Does he need to go, sure, but it's not all on him.

It's easy to push blame, but a lot of it has to do with Scott McC and the lack of defensive talent he's given us. Some are acting as if with Wade Phillips we'd have a top-10 defense and it's just simply not true with the talent we have out there. Wade went to a team with a bunch of perennial All-Pros and all he has to do is wear the damn headset.

You have to give the man some damn talent around him. These defensive players just suck outside of a few pieces. It's obvious Scott McC was going with the high-powered offense to give us a lead and the defense to be bend but don't break.

Again, Joe Barry can be replaced and should be, but it's not all on him and it's foolish to believe so.

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I know it's hard to hear this, but it's not all on Barry.... Yes, he's struggling but he's also the scapegoat... Does he need to go, sure, but it's not all on him.

It's easy to push blame, but a lot of it has to do with Scott McC and the lack of defensive talent he's given us. Some are acting as if with Wade Phillips we'd have a top-10 defense and it's just simply not true with the talent we have out there. Wade went to a team with a bunch of perennial All-Pros and all he has to do is wear the damn headset.

You have to give the man some damn talent around him. These defensive players just suck outside of a few pieces. It's obvious Scott McC was going with the high-powered offense to give us a lead and the defense to be bend but don't break.

Again, Joe Barry can be replaced and should be, but it's not all on him and it's foolish to believe so.

You know, I'm pretty sure the Broncos had signed Joe Barry as DC as we signed Wade Philips as DC we would complain why we did sign an old coach with no energy that puts a crappy D on the field while Barry was available and wanting to sign with us...

And I'm only half joking...

On 10/3/2016 at 10:05 AM, SemperFi Skins said:

I am somewhere near this point.  I do think at the very least the talent has been slightly upgraded on defense from Haslett's last year.  Barry has a shut down corner, Haslett didn't.  Orkapo was hurt for most of Haz's last year -- Barry has an emerging Murphy and Preston Smith so arguably a better pass rush.  The safeties stunk for Haz,, they likewise stink for Barry.  The MLBs about the same.  The D line last season was about the same as what Haz had.  Cravens I believe is an emerging star.  I can't really go with the idea that Haz had more talent -- I think Barry has more talent than his predecessor albeit not enough talent.

I wasn't and am not a Haz guy but this defense seems worse than Haz's defenses.  Haz defenses weren't at least killed by the run.  This defense can't stop the run or pass.

Having said that there is plenty of time to turn this around.  As I mentioned in another thread I was at the Dallas game and saw Jay go off on Barry on the sidelines.  The camera didn't catch it.  But I wonder if there is some trouble in paradise considering that coupled with RJF taking the shot about the team not making adjustments and the Baker incident.

Do I think firing Barry would provide a quick fix?  Probably not.  But a good defensive coordinator can make a quick impact.  Both the Vikings and Eagles had among the worst defenses in the league the previous seasons (before Zimmer and Schwartz) the next season they were ranked among the best.  Wade Phillips is knocked for perhaps being overrated since he inherited a good defense in Denver but still it did improve under his watch.   Has Barry improved this defense from Haz?  If so, I don't see it.

Having said that, I do think Barry deserves an opportunity still.  He's seen what doesn't work.  Lets see if he figures something out.  

Archived