Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Baker vs Joe Barry

zoony

9 hours ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

My impression of Joe Barry is that he is playing checkers against expert chess players.

As to this incident, does not look good. May be a situation where if we keep the DC we will lose some players, most importantly, Baker.

Or he could have been playing chess when all he needed to do was play checkers..

5 hours ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

There was defensive end Chris Baker, screaming at defensive coordinator Joe Barry on the sideline over what goal-line defenses he was calling. “He called one thing that he thought was best, and I had my feelings on what we should have been in,” Baker said frankly.

Love it!!...Love that our team is fired up!!...Love me some Josh Norman too...

8 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think Barry is awful, but I hate seeing our players act this way. I know it happens in the heat of the game and love the passion, blah blah blah. BUT, as long as Barry is our DC, the players need to show him respect. He's in charge and calling the plays. Now, Baker might not agree (and might be right sometimes), but Barry is more qualified than Chris Baker to lead our defense. 

I have no problem with what Baker did.  Last week, it was RJF making comments.  I am sure they are sick of losing, and coaching is a huge part of our problems right now.  At least they let me know, as a fan, that they aren't happy with the play either.  

12 hours ago, zoony said:

It was actually back when they hired Zorn... They wanted Schwarz but he refused on advice from Coughlim. Good advice, though he ended up in Detroit anyway haha

That was not Schwarz it was Steve Spagnuolo who was with the Giants at the time. He took the Rams job after refusing to interview for Redskins.  Now is back as Giants DC.

Norman is a monster. 

#1 takeaway, his ability to stay locked in and compete to the max every play. When the possibility of signing came to light in the off-season, I supported the move to go after him, especially when reading multiple articles and quotes from him personally from his days with the Panthers. 

It somehow reminded of Ray Lewis and his style/leadership. He's not earned the right yet on this team to carry himself as Ray did, but I think in time that will come-- Him demanding the same level of intensity from all on the defense. 

13 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think Barry is awful, but I hate seeing our players act this way. I know it happens in the heat of the game and love the passion, blah blah blah. BUT, as long as Barry is our DC, the players need to show him respect. He's in charge and calling the plays. Now, Baker might not agree (and might be right sometimes), but Barry is more qualified than Chris Baker to lead our defense. 

Yeah, it's not a good look from Baker, that's for sure. Same with RJF last week. The only positive is it shows just how much they want to win. 

I can't get behind the vitriol sent towards Barry here, though I understand the frustrations. Just think it's so trashy some of the things being said, but whatever. 

I'm trying to figure out where the defensive coordinator that I saw last year went. I saw it a bit in that second half, but last year we excelled at goal line, short yardage, 3rd downs, and general situational football. We gave up chunks of yards at times, but we were actually much improved in all those areas.

It was our defense that kept us in more games throughout the year than our offense, until that last month of the season where they still played a vital role and made many key stops.   

I don't know what's going on, but something is totally different. I think it's a combination of Barry believing our talent level was good enough for simplified schemes along with having guys he assumed would excel like Breeland, Hall, Kerrigan and Preston start poorly. 

Either way, something has got to give. I hope that second half was a sign that it's going to. 

17 hours ago, William Barbour said:

Baker is playing the wrong technique here, but Barry has been struggling. If you think the Baker vs Barry thing is interesting. Check what Blackmon said after the game in a post game interview.

"Joe B allowed us to be more aggressive in the 2nd half. We have so many athletes and he just needs to let us play"

Told y'all he isnt' the only one.

5 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Yeah, it's not a good look from Baker, that's for sure. Same with RJF last week. The only positive is it shows just how much they want to win. 

I can't get behind the vitriol sent towards Barry here, though I understand the frustrations. Just think it's so trashy some of the things being said, but whatever. 

I'm trying to figure out where the defensive coordinator that I saw last year went. I saw it a bit in that second half, but last year we excelled at goal line, short yardage, 3rd downs, and general situational football. We gave up chunks of yards at times, but we were actually much improved in all those areas.

It was our defense that kept us in more games throughout the year than our offense, until that last month of the season where they still played a vital role and made many key stops.   

I don't know what's going on, but something is totally different. I think it's a combination of Barry believing our talent level was good enough for simplified schemes along with having guys he assumed would excel like Breeland, Hall, Kerrigan and Preston start poorly. 

Either way, something has got to give. I hope that second half was a sign that it's going to. 

Baker wants to win just like everyone else, and I don't blame him a bit, I actually applaud him for standing up to a coach who obviously has negatively impacted the defense to a degree that brought this on in the first place.

Haslett blew chunks, and I was quite surprised/pleased with my thread about him and the amount of replies [ patting myself on the back ], but to replace him with someone who was equally horrible had us all scratching our heads. Detroit wasn't doing anything great defensively with Barry there, and the choices other than him had more promise, so, why? Why Barry?

Last year, especially in the paloffs, the 2nd half was a disaster. GB made changes, we didn't, and then when GB made changes to disrupt our offense, some pointed at KC for fault, when it was the defense who let us down. They just dropped off the field and GB went on a scoring frenzy.

There is enough talent on defense to be better than their ranking; I get the ball-hogging idea, but for the most part it is just like Haslett's, a fully reactionary defense; nowhere near enough jamming of WR's, they're allowed to run untouched and we have to adjust to where they go and hope we get there. The line, well, teams know we can be run on, especially a mobile QB. If the guys on the line are questioning what Barry is doing, maybe Barry needs to start listening to them, because the current way is totally dependent on turnovers, and a team who protects the ball will be problems for us.

@LurkingMediaFolks

There is a talking point here. Was our ability to hold the Giants to 6 points in the 2nd half possibly a result of Barry changing course?  Those 2 critical INTs - it appeared we were in man coverage.

Credit Chris Baker, as needed. The timing of the heated debate, and the D playing better, was dead on.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, it's my understanding that the current coaching staff is open to players suggestions.  I've heard Gruden on more than one occasion say he wants player input, since they are the one's on the field and are in the middle of the action.  Just think of Baker and RJF as "making suggestions."  Maybe they need a wooden suggestion box at Redskins Park.

One of two things is happening here...

1) A surprising number of people are already OK if things revert back to the inmates running the asylum, lack of discipline, etc. we've seen since Norv Turner took over as head coach, or

2) I'm old AF and am one of only a few people who still prefer to see these "suggestions" or "disagreements" come behind closed doors to show team unity

Pretty sure it was spelled.... BLAHche

At least, that was how it looked in the bend don't break. Which of course always failed in the final drive, because by design our D players were always gassed, and were rarely able to get a late stop. No blitzing, no pressuring rookie QBs, no deceit, no using players to strengths, no spine, and in the end, losing.  12-20 as our DC despite the team nearly spent to the cap.

Barry > Blah for me so far.  Barry at least tries to change things up occasionally; adjusts when screamed at.

BlaHche was bland - like white bread with water on the side for dipping - game after game #Flanders

Opposition OCs have never had it easier to design their game plan. The only time we would win, was from unforced errors by an impatient QB.

15 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Or he could have been playing chess when all he needed to do was play checkers..

I'm pretty sure that's McVay's problem.  Has Jordan Reed been targeted once in the endzone this season yet?  Or is he still being used as an overly elaborate decoy to get fade routes open to our shortest recievers?  He has a tendancy to find a play or player that gets hot, then put him on the back burner for the rest of the game to try and work on the part of our offense that is the least effective.

Also, I definitely don't want Haslett back, but damn it I really want that sweatshirt he's wearing.

For all we know, players may have already tried "talking behind closed doors" without success.  This is a business, and playing for a losing team or in a bad scheme isn't always advantageous for your financial career.

I'm not advocating anarchy, but this may be just what the team needed.

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Coaches coaching poorly

Players telling them no and yelling at them.

Players and plays improve.

What's coach speak for "we've completely lost control of the locker room"?

Oh yeah " were open to players making suggestions".

Well, I agree with you on the first line; "coaches coach".  Sana the few defensive impact players who came into the league with raw talent, the rest were 'coached ' . If a coach teaches poorly, you get poor quality players. If a coach teaches and challenges a player and the player takes to it, then you have a very good if not great player.

There was similar disturbances with Haslett, but it fell upon deaf ears; only when other input was given to him by higher ups, did he change things, but very little. He's gone now.

These guys don't like losing and neither do us. A player is on the field, in the middle of the action, so I'd trust what the player sees and take his info to heart if it made sense. Its a gamble but if the current situation isn't working, hey, change it !  If Barry is too focused on x's and o's to envision what is coming then someone should say hey this isn't working we have to do this instead.

Keep in mind, Barry isn't some brainiac wonder DC, his past record existed with Suh's level of performance, which leads back to the earlier part of my statement of a player coming into the league with talent, but not expanded or controlled.

I'm going to give Barry til the bye week I pass definitive judgment. There are things he can do - and by do, I mean do differently - to put the defense on a more consistently competitive trajectory. It's one thing to say to old colleagues and friends, "Man, when I get my HC gig, you're gonna be my DC/OC....whatever". But once you see that your guy isn't real DC/OC caliber, you need to make a change or else you might find yourself with a short-lived stint at HC and maybe not without another shot. It's early in the Barry experiment, and I'm not impressed thus far. We'll see.

15 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

@LurkingMediaFolks

There is a talking point here. Was our ability to hold the Giants to 6 points in the 2nd half possibly a result of Barry changing course?  Those 2 critical INTs - it appeared we were in man coverage.

Credit Chris Baker, as needed. The timing of the heated debate, and the D playing better, was dead on.

Thanks.

Hate to say it, but felt we also started playing better once Blackmon stepped in for DHall.  Either way, defense deserves credit for letting the offense catch up and take the lead. I also believe we're a better team under Barry at creating turnovers.  A couple times we couldn't stop them we just ended the drives with taking the ball away, so Barry saved himself for another week.  I was ready to leave him in New Jersey at rate first half defense was going.

Archived