Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time for a dose of reality

NattyBo

Is this really how it is on here after a loss? There is a thread to fire the OC (who half the teams in the league would droll over), fire the HC (didnt we win the NFCE last year w an impressive offensive approach) and other "the season is over" type stuff. 

Now a thread saying were are equivalent to the Browns or Rams .... based off 1 game against the steelers. 

We are basically the same team as last year with the same strengths and weaknesses and last year didnt end up so bad. We can improve as the season goes on, albeit I dont think we have the personnel to address the run D. 

14 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

What pisses me off the most was the defensive strategy of leaving Breeland 1 on 1 against Antonio ****ing Brown, with NO safety help. 

we are stiff a team ... no fluidity.  never seem to counter and react with the obvious. 

5 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Is this really how it is on here after a loss? There is a thread to fire the OC (who half the teams in the league would droll over), fire the HC (didnt we win the NFCE last year w an impressive offensive approach) and other "the season is over" type stuff. 

Now a thread saying were are equivalent to the Browns or Rams .... based off 1 game against the steelers. 

We are basically the same team as last year with the same strengths and weaknesses and last year didnt end up so bad. We can improve as the season goes on, albeit I dont think we have the personnel to address the run D. 

Well, last year we did have Morris, and he did have an effect on how DCs game planned him.

4 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

Clearly, we are only as good/hot as Kirk.  He is actually the solution to our non existent run defense.   

I said it last year its all on Kirk and he put the team on his shoulders in those last 8 or 9 games, if he didn't have his head up his ass last night it could have been a different outcome.

4 hours ago, WilberMarshall said:

It is week one folks.  Week 1.

Clearly, we are only as good/hot as Kirk.  He is actually the solution to our non existent run defense.   

This is true. It will be hard to win a lot of games expecting Kirk to carry us week in and week out. He is not Aaron Rodgers, yet. Probably never will be.

9 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I said it last year its all on Kirk and he put the team on his shoulders in those last 8 or 9 games, if he didn't have his head up his ass last night it could have been a different outcome.

How did I miss all his bad play?  He made one really bad decision and throw. Threw a few more inaccurate passes. The rest of the time he played quite well, considering we couldn't begin to run the ball, Pittsburgh knew it and dropped 8 every play.

With this brutal schedule, we're looking at 2-14 or 3-13.  Scot McCloughan can then clean house.  Starting with Gruden since he didn't actually hire the guy.  Joe Berry too.  Then on to the scouting department. Guys like Campbell & Santos can pack their bags.  Fresh start.  Draft franchise QB in 1st round.  ✌?️

When you look at everything that went on week 1 in the NFL. If we would have came out and performed like the Jacksonville Jaguars did against Green Bay. We could at least come out of this game feeling good. We were just out coached and out played. Todd Haley looked like a genius. What I said coming into this game played true I said if Pittsburgh got more than a hundred yards rushing we were in for a very long night. At this point I'm not even sure if we could be Dallas. Alf may have his coming-home party. The sad part is the team knew about these glaring issues in the offseason and did absolutely nothing to address it. 

First step.  Stop beating yourself.  Then worry about other teams beating you.  As of right now all the other teams need to do is go through the motions and wait for us to self destruct.  Too many penalties.  There is not a single opponent I would feel confident against if we keep playing that sloppy.  Talent becomes irrelevant

21 hours ago, -JB- said:

With this brutal schedule, we're looking at 2-14 or 3-13.  Scot McCloughan can then clean house.  Starting with Gruden since he didn't actually hire the guy.  Joe Berry too.  Then on to the scouting department. Guys like Campbell & Santos can pack their bags.  Fresh start.  Draft franchise QB in 1st round.  ✌?️

Easy there, turbo.

On 9/13/2016 at 10:53 AM, bird_1972 said:

What about improving from 2015?

I'd like to think the team was able to build on something although it appears that isn't the case - at least based on the regression in week 1.

See, where I differ is that I think we should be seeing improvement from year to year. I don't "want it all NOW" since I know the team overperformed last year in a poor division.

The fact that there were DL possibilities in the draft, OL is "frustrating", and minimal running game "shows up again" - all as you put it above - speaks to a disconnect between the glaring holes the team had and the lack of attention the FO gave to addressing at least a couple of those.

For me, I'm less focused on the record of the team and more focused on how poor they looked in the above areas + the lack of discipline preparedness (which falls on Gruden and his staff)

I think that's reasonable. 

I believe the OL will end up performing better this year than last as a unit. I think Lichtensteiger is weak, but we should see improvement from Scherff and Moses. I'm not sure about our front-7 as I don't really know who to point to who should outperform what they did last year? 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think that's reasonable. 

I believe the OL will end up performing better this year than last as a unit. I think Lichtensteiger is weak, but we should see improvement from Scherff and Moses. I'm not sure about our front-7 as I don't really know who to point to who should outperform what they did last year? 

Lich is very weak and is playing to the level we thought he would given his age and physical limitations.

Other OL demonstrated lack of preparedness given number of penalties (falls on Calahan to some extent) and this made me nervous.

Our DL has a couple of additional journeymen (Hood and now Cullens) but there doesn't seem to be much youth on the line other than Lanier who is very raw.

ILB is up for debate. I think we over value Compton and Foster - that they are average guys who are better than less than average guys who are now either backups or no longer with the team.

Let's hope the Skins use the Pittsburgh game as a wake up call. Otherwise it's going to be a loooooooong season.

I'm not overly worried. Yea, we ended up getting blown out but we opportunities in the first half to be up a couple of TDs and that could have changed the complexion of the game.  Brown torches everybody, including Denver last year.  I'm not surprised he did the same to us.  The most concern I have is that Kirk looked bad.  However, he showed me enough last year that I'm confident he will bounce back.  Hopefully against the Cowboys.

On 9/13/2016 at 1:38 PM, Koolblue13 said:

The GM said 3 years. We're barely passed the first 

I still think picking Doc in the first round instead of the best center, guard or D-line is going to bite us in the butt.  I understand why he picked Doc, as far as DJax and Garcon being in contract years, I just think that we should have worried about addressing WR in the next draft or FA.  

On 9/13/2016 at 10:29 AM, ExoDus84 said:

What pisses me off the most was the defensive strategy of leaving Breeland 1 on 1 against Antonio ****ing Brown, with NO safety help. Who the hell tries to play cover 0 against Antonio Brown, probably the best receiver in the league? Breeland is good, but you can't ask the man to do that. Brown will destroy any corner 1 on 1. WTF was Berry/Fewell thinking?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/09/14/a-closer-look-at-bashaud-breelands-performance-against-antonio-brown/

On 9/13/2016 at 2:26 PM, -JB- said:

Jesus Christ. You people get off on this, right? That's the reason? McCloughan could have cleaned out anyone in the FO he wanted. He likes the scouts. He said it would take an offseason or two for them to learn what he looks for, but he still had years and years of their scouting reports and evaluations. If we suck this year he's not going to all of a sudden go "oh wait, actually I was wrong, you guys clearly can't scout". He makes the final decisions anyways, despite there being a "brain trust" including the head scouts and the coaches...took Crowder despite the coaching staff's reservations. It's not like he's making picks he doesn't like based on our scouts recommendations, and he can turn around and blame them. Jeez.

I won't even get into the coaching staff stuff because there are threads for that.

Some of you guys seem to have fantasies about starting over, drafting a QB high, bringing in a new staff...like the only way to rebuild is to hit rock bottom and start from scratch. Like that usually makes teams better. That's almost always the result of a team absolutely sucking, and due to no stability they almost always continue to absolutely suck regardless of what they do.

Also might be exxagerating the importance of the outcome a bit. Everyone considered Minnesota pretty good last year right? Won the North, a botched FG away from beating Seattle in playoffs.... Well they opened on MNF last year too. Against the mighty 49ers. Got dominated. Lost 20-3. 

On 9/13/2016 at 1:38 PM, Koolblue13 said:

The GM said 3 years. We're barely passed the first 

While I agree with this it hasn't been one year for us, we've seen this movie with different characters for 25 years.  The scary part is it is possible that there may be no end in sight.  It is very plausable that we still don't have a long term answer at QB, a search that has gone on since Joe F'ing Theisman, and without a good QB you have little chance..  Kirk can no longer use the young QB  excuse.  This is year 5 and he has played 31 games, excluded the disasterous playoff performance.  This may he who he is, an up and down guy who plays well against bad teams but wilts against the good ones.  If you have a QB who can't get it done when it matters in bigger games, and a coaching staff who constantly loses the haltime adjustment battle, then what are we doing here?

Oline is actually playing ok (minus the penalties) but Pburgh really showed the rest of the league how to destroy us.  Sit back in coverage and watch our mediocre oline try to open holes for a plodding, upright RB who is just as good for a 3 yard loss and he is for a 4 yard run.  

On D we have to rush 6 or 7 every down and we STILL get no pressure sometimes.  The neglected dline can't stop the run and leave the secondary covering way too long.  

The brass knows Mcglouhan failed miserably when he neglected the dline and the fact that Jenkins was signed so quickly is the obvious indictment of his neglect.  It is essentially his "oh sh*t" moment.  

He made a mistake drafting Doctson (even though I like Doctson and think he will be a fairly good player).  Arrogance is just as much a weakness as any and he thought his eye for talent could make the dline work.  And he's wrong.

1 hour ago, 3 Rings said:

Arrogance is just as much a weakness as any and he thought his eye for talent could make the dline work.  And he's wrong.

Agreed but hopefully this lights a fire. He is a competitive guy and he must have been embarrassed on the sideline watching that. If he is not more pissed off than we are there is something wrong. We have his broken hand as prof that he probably is. 

Archived