Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Kirk need to learn to extend plays better?

NoCalMike

Cooley kinda killed Kirk this morning in his film breakdown. Gave Kirk the worst grade on the offense, a 5.9 out of 10. Kevin said he played like a backup QB. 

Mentioned a lot about the inaccurate passes, which ruined our opportunity to shake the steelers out of their soft zone coverage. Because the passes were inaccurate, it prevented our pass catchers from getting more YAC. The INT was horrible, and some of his throws were late or forced. Jordan Reed would've had that TD if Cousins throws the ball on time. And he had time to throw, he had very little pressure all game. 

Take it for what it's worth. 

My opinion, it's just one game but Cousins has to play much better than that for us to win this division and for him to earn the payday he's looking for. I expect to see a better performance from him on Sunday. Some of the apologists need to just admit he played poorly, it isn't an admission he's a bad QB. Some of the chicken littles need to stop talking about Colt. That is nonsense, he's worst than Kirk and there is nothing more to discuss there. 

The good news is he is going to get many more chances to improve and show it was just jitters or something. 

The bad news is that in the NFL, if something works....expect to see it again and again. We cant run the ball....we cant beat a zone....and we cant stop the run. The Steelers just put the book out against us. You better believe we will see it all again next week. 

If Kirk is the man, and I believe he CAN be, he is going to have to make these teams pay in this zone ****. Otherwise we are done. 

5 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

Cooley kinda killed Kirk this morning in his film breakdown. Gave Kirk the worst grade on the offense, a 5.9 out of 10. Kevin said he played like a backup QB. 

Mentioned a lot about the inaccurate passes, which ruined our opportunity to shake the steelers out of their soft zone coverage. Because the passes were inaccurate, it prevented our pass catchers from getting more YAC. The INT was horrible, and some of his throws were late or forced. Jordan Reed would've had that TD if Cousins throws the ball on time. And he had time to throw, he had very little pressure all game. 

My opinion, it's just one game but Cousins has to play much better than that for us to win this division and for him to earn the payday he's looking for. I expect to see a better performance from him on Sunday. Some of the apologists need to just admit he played poorly, it isn't an admission he's a bad QB. Some of the chicken littles need to stop talking about Colt. That is nonsense, he's worst than Kirk and there is nothing more to discuss there. 

That's interesting since Cooley has been a big time Kirk cheerleader in the past.

8 hours ago, Alexa said:

Thank god some of you aren't running the team. You'd be way worse than Snyder ever was. :-)  It's week one, we got beat by a better team with a better QB. Kirk stunk, it happens. But to sit here and say we should get Jimmy G is just ridiculous. Every single QB in the league is going to have a bad game. I'm not worried about it. Kirk will get it together. We all know he can play at a high level. He's done it, he just has to go out and play football. He looked uptight and rusty. Probably needed more game reps in pre season. 

What has Kirk done to convince you that he can play at "a high level".  Being completely fair here he has played at a high level for about 10 of his career 31 games.  It is amazing to me that people take his second half from last year and assume this is who he is.  The fact is he has had many more bad games than good ones.

25 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

What has Kirk done to convince you that he can play at "a high level".  Being completely fair here he has played at a high level for about 10 of his career 31 games.  It is amazing to me that people take his second half from last year and assume this is who he is.  The fact is he has had many more bad games than good ones.

This is very subjective, but I think you know that.  I guess you are the guy who would have traded Peyton Manning after one year because he threw 28 INTs:ols:

18 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

660k Cousins from 2015 gets a pass. 19M Cousins needs to prove his worth every single week this season. The comparison isn't Colt vs Kirk. It's Colt plus 17M in cap that could have been spent on d line vs Kirk.

It is insane what one fluke win in Dallas will do to this fanbase.

Colt is awful. You start him, no matter what he has around him, and your ceiling 4-6 wins. He looked as bad as Kirk in every one of his games in the preseason. There is no plan B if Kirk sucks.

He just needs to nut up and play the way he's capable of. I don't necessarily buy the notion that he chokes in big games. When we absolutely needed him he won four in a row last year(okay throw the Dallas finale away since it was meaningless, still three in a row)including a primetime game in Philly in a game that decided the division. He committed a horrible brainfart in that game with that infamous kneel down before half but still bounced back in the 2nd half to shred the Eagles. He can and has played great when it absolutely matters. He was just off on Monday night. I think he'll have a big game against the Cowboys this Sunday.

19 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

i dont understand how you choke against a better team

I think you can choke.  If there are easy plays to be made and you don't deliver.  One play that sticks out in my mind is the third down Kirk missed an open Crowder with a poorly thrown ball in the red zone.  It would have put us inside the five.  Kirk was off pretty much all game.

Re-watched some of the game today and on a few of the plays if kirk would've stepped up in the pocket and forced the defense to react to the threat of him running, he could've did damage to that read and react zone. It just seemed like he was unwilling to get off his spot and make a play, rather than take what was there. Hopefully this isn't the case on Sunday because I'm sure Dallas will be running the same defense.

Isn't the entire point of "zone" defense to cover a zone of the field, rather than specific players?  You beat a zone defense by giving the QB time to throw so the skill position players can find and either set or run through soft spots in the zone.  This requires a little bit of innovation and take what you can get as you go, style of play.   I think that is where Kirk faltered on Monday. For the most part he had plenty of time to throw, but when certain zones of the field were covered, he wasn't sure what to do, and instead of either rushing for some wide open yards that were being conceded, or even moving sideways to buy time, he just kind of sat back and would over throw targets or throw the ball in the ground.

Can't say a lack of running game didn't hurt because if you can run the ball consistently than that will also mess up a zone defense since those defenses usually have defenders off the line in middle of the zone when they think it is a passing play.  They are usually conceding the 3-5 yard depth.  It is prime time for quality run plays if you can execute.

Another thing we can't have is penalties.  The Redskins were beating the zone early in the game with short passes to Jordan Reed and Garcon and Djax who would catch the ball in spots the zone defense did not cover, and they used speed, strength, and elusiveness to take a 3 yard catch 10+ yards consistently.  Unfortunately when you get a penalty and it is 1st & 20, it erases and negates those sorts of passes being effective.

19 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So are you saying he didn't have any good games before he became the full time starter? Cause it you're saying that that is simply not true. Not true at all. 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:16 AM, Gamebreaker said:

I am the biggest Cousins fan, and I say Cooley was spot on.  He needs to step up big time this weekend, I am just hoping it was the way Gruden approached the offseason, especially the preseason games.  On that INT he had Jones underneigh wide open and he would have easily gotten the first and more.  He has to be smart enough to get what the D gives you..

Now for those "I want to see Colt" people out there.  Seriously what exactly is it you guys don't get.  The fact that the Steelers won this game manely because of their running game or the fact that they also probably won this game because they completed a TD on 4th and 1 and a second TD on pure luck?  Not saying they didn't kick our butts, but the fact of the matter is the offense, sputtering and all, had us one score back with 10 minutes to go and the D couldn't stop the run to save their life.  Steelers took almost 6 minutes of the clock away and scored a TD.  End of game and story.  There are a lot more to blame here than Cousins.

Watching the Jets/Bills game right now and I really wish Cousins played like Fitzpatrick.  By no means do I think Fitz is a better QB and Cousins's ceiling is way higher ultimately, but Fitz plays the game out there like he knows he might make a mistake or two, but the trade off for pushing the ball down the field is worth it and that he knows there will be more chances.  He also isn't afraid to use his legs when things get hairy behind the line.  Once I again I want to re-iterate that I don't think Fitz is better than Cousins, but I see a style of football that I think Cousins can pull off and a lot better at that.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Watching the Jets/Bills game right now and I really wish Cousins played like Fitzpatrick.  By no means do I think Fitz is a better QB and Cousins's ceiling is way higher ultimately, but Fitz plays the game out there like he knows he might make a mistake or two, but the trade off for pushing the ball down the field is worth it and that he knows there will be more chances.  He also isn't afraid to use his legs when things get hairy behind the line.  Once I again I want to re-iterate that I don't think Fitz is better than Cousins, but I see a style of football that I think Cousins can pull off and a lot better at that.

Literally just tweeted how watching this game is pissing me off about Monday. 

There is no reason why KC couldn't play the game Monday like Fitzpatrick is currently playing now (minus the fumbles). 

I'd take KC in a foot race over Fitzpatrick. Kirk just needs to cut the robot **** and just play. 

9 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

he needs to learn to stop throwing off his flippin back foot for starters.

This drives me crazy smh. That is the reason why people think he has no arm. It's really his iffy mechanics 

Archived