Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Kirk need to learn to extend plays better?

NoCalMike

As I watched Gabbert move around in the pocket and make plays , I thought about how Kirk could sometimes do the same. Like someone mentioned it looked like he did not want to go away from what the play was. I also would not like to see him running around and getting hurt. Gabbert took some good hits tonight. 

I'll wait and see how he does next week to before I criticize to harshly, but Kirk didn't look like the same QB I saw at the end of last year. He didn't have the confidence and you could see it in a lot of his throws and decision making (especially near the red zone). Overall, the Steelers were better prepared and they played with confidence, took some risks, and had some great play calling. They're going to be a Super Bowl contending team and it shows. We did not have any of those things, so I would definitely say it was a total team loss. I'm going to put this one on Gruden before Kirk, but it would be nice to see him do a better job of extending plays and not "panicking" and throwing to the first available option. He had all day to wait back there tonight. 

16 minutes ago, Napredskins1 said:

As I watched Gabbert move around in the pocket and make plays , I thought about how Kirk could sometimes do the same. Like someone mentioned it looked like he did not want to go away from what the play was. I also would not like to see him running around and getting hurt. Gabbert took some good hits tonight. 

Gabbert avg per attempt was 4.9yards, which is awful.  He wasn't out there making plays as much as doing just enough to keep drives alive by throwing very short passes most of the night.  The 49ers ran the rams over playing smash mouth and Gabbert himself actually averaged almost as much running the ball as he did passing it (4.8 yards per carry).

It didn't hurt that the 49er defense forced the rams to punt 10 times and turned them over twice.  That's 12 times the defense stopped the opposing team and got their offense the ball.  The redskins managed three.  THREE!  Two punts and a turnover.  

6 hours ago, mexaskin said:

I don't put this on kirk. He made mistakes of course. But he didn't jump offsides, or get stupid holding calls. Oline and especially the dine own this ass whipping. Even trent had a stupid jump. Hard to win when every 1st down is 1st and 15 or 20. It also eliminates the run threat. That's correctable. The dine getting owned is not correctable. We definitely need to explore options there. Golston as a starter is a joke. Please bring Knighton in. Atleast as a situational guy. 

On one of the early drives he missed a wide open Crowder badly on a 3rd down  play that should have set them up at first and goal inside the 5.  As Gruden correctly pointed out on the 3rd down where he panicked and threw it out of the end zone he had plenty of room to step out of a 3 man rush, he also had Thompson for a first down  over the midle had he extended the play with a well placed ball.  He threw 5 yards on 3rd and 6th and of course after his first pick (he had 2, should have been 3) the game was essentially over.  

On the other side of the field the other guy was moving in the pocket and throwing perfect TD passes all night.  Sure there were other factors but the biggest difference in that game was the play of the QBs.

5 hours ago, mexaskin said:

I don't put this on kirk. He made mistakes of course. But he didn't jump offsides, or get stupid holding calls. Oline and especially the dine own this ass whipping. Even trent had a stupid jump. Hard to win when every 1st down is 1st and 15 or 20. It also eliminates the run threat. That's correctable. The dine getting owned is not correctable. We definitely need to explore options there. Golston as a starter is a joke. Please bring Knighton in. Atleast as a situational guy. 

I dont put it all on Kirk, but he certainly gets his fair share.  They had a bad night all the way around. If he simply hits Crowder on the 3rd down, the whole complexion of the game could've been different.  That was a 100% unforced error on Kirk.  As was the first INT.  I dont care about the second one cuz it was over at that point.

this was totally on coaching and especially on the D.  When we scored and it was 24 to 16 momentum would have changed if the D could just stop the run.  No team can win when the other runs for close to 200 yards on you.  Berry is a horrible D coordinator we have said this many times.  No adjustment, he kept Breeland on an island against the best receiver in the league all night. Nothing creative in covering him.  Who the F was he protecting not sticking Norman on him, just try different things.  Cousins also played average but the steelers had a plan to take away Reed, to give him only the short stuff.  Our coaching staff should have recognized that right away, adjust, take the underneath stuff, etc.  We did that for one series and ended with a TD.  

Worse of all were the penalties. This is what happens I guess when your starters play 2.5 quarters in 4 preseason games.

Kirk is nowhere in the vicinity of a $20 mill QB. There are probably 15 QBs I would take over him.  

Eli, healthy Romo, Wentz (I know it's early but I like his size and release better than Kirk's), Rogers, Palmer, Ryan, Stafford, Wilson, Winston, Newton, Breese, Brady, Roth, Bortles, Luck, Dalton, Flacco, Smith, (arguably) Carr.

His playoff game was much like tonight; inaccurate and timid.  He has a little of that RG3 throw off your back foot and heave rather than stepping up in the pocket when available.  

Not saying he was the biggest problem (that goes to the pathetic d-line), but a $20 mill QB makes up for weaknesses, doesn't maintain the status quo.  

6 hours ago, mexaskin said:

How do you get so many "false start" penalties AT HOME!!!!!!!    Were there that many Steeler fans to impact the snap count???

5 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think the stuff the op mentioned are things that come with time, when to step up, slide, and run for a short gain. This poise is correctable, especially with more comfort within the scheme and more time vs nfl defenses.

He has been in the league long enough to know all that stuff.

Kirk will be fine! My concern is why do we abandon our running game right after we start ripping off 6-9 yards a run? The Steelers defense was sitting back in zone all night knowing our offense couldn't be patient, they knew our running game was not a threat, or knew we wouldn't commit to it, so they took away our biggest offensive threat, our deep ball.

28 minutes ago, jservs7 said:

Not being a KC defender, but I can't even judge his performance when we have no consistent run game. 

This right here!

Kirk was very poor last night.  It doesn't help that it was against a defense missing starters in the secondary that was already supposed to be poor.  He looked nervous and antsy.  We had opportunities early to score touchdowns and he made poor throws to end drives.

He will improve, I'm confident of that.  Next week is a game that he must perform better in to instill confidence in us fans.  

1 hour ago, Capsman said:

Kirk is nowhere in the vicinity of a $20 mill QB. There are probably 15 QBs I would take over him.  

Eli, healthy Romo, Wentz (I know it's early but I like his size and release better than Kirk's), Rogers, Palmer, Ryan, Stafford, Wilson, Winston, Newton, Breese, Brady, Roth, Bortles, Luck, Dalton, Flacco, Smith, (arguably) Carr.

His playoff game was much like tonight; inaccurate and timid.  He has a little of that RG3 throw off your back foot and heave rather than stepping up in the pocket when available.  

Not saying he was the biggest problem (that goes to the pathetic d-line), but a $20 mill QB makes up for weaknesses, doesn't maintain the status quo.  

Kirk is worth more than 20 mill and better then 10 or more QB's you listed above. He has 1 season under his belt while every QB you named up there has multiple years except Wentz, and that's a damn joke calling him better than Cousins when all he has done is collect 1 victory over the lowly Browns. It sure does help a QB to have something called a running game!

1 minute ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

Kirk is worth more than 20 mill and better then 10 or more QB's you listed above. He has 1 season under his belt while every QB you named up there has multiple years except Wentz, and that's a damn joke calling him better than Cousins when all he has done is collect 1 victory over the lowly Browns. It sure does help a QB to have something called a running game!

I want to see him play good against good teams. He can't go another year without a victory over  a 500 team.

5 minutes ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

WHo are the ten QBs in his list you think are worse than Kirk?  I can see 5 at most, and that's being extremely generous.  

5 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

WHo are the ten QBs in his list you think are worse than Kirk?  I can see 5 at most, and that's being extremely generous.  

The arguable ones would be Wentz, Bortles, Carr, Dalton, Palmer, and Stafford.  Let's just say Kirk is better than all of them (I would disagree), puts him 14th.  Just above average.  

8 minutes ago, Capsman said:

The arguable ones would be Wentz, Bortles, Carr, Dalton, Palmer, and Stafford.  Let's just say Kirk is better than all of them (I would disagree), puts him 14th.  Just above average.  

For me the only two arguable ones are Wentz and Stafford.  And it's pretty close, if I'm being honest with myself.  I think Kirk can play out of his mind some games, but his inconsistency and propensity for turnovers puts him in the Cutler category for me.  

Cousins did fine last night it was a team loss due to the team great imbalance.  If Roethlisberger had played for the Skins Ben would have lost also because all the Skins can do is throw and catch, punt and kick.  The Skins cannot run, stop the run or rush the passer, or at least they absolutely failed to do anything of these things last night.

If Roethlisberger played with the Skins against the Steeler's DL that totally stifled the running game and was able to apply pressure while dropping 7 or 8 deep Ben would have been relegated to tossing short stuff all night long also.  An unbalanced team has a tough time winning football games against a good team.  The 2016 Redskins look a lot like the 2015 Redskins and I was hoping for more.

6 hours ago, dyst said:

Just from fhe eye test, Kirk looks to be a system QB. He can rack up points, yards and wins when the ball gets rolling and proven last year but I just don't see elite in him. I'm not sure if one is elite or can become elite but I think it was wise to wait and see with his contract. Only scoring 16 points is extremely bad.

Yup. When things go as planned, Kirk is very good. I mean that as, when the defense gives him a look he's comfortable with or the play develops as they practice, he knows exactly where to go with the ball and it's fine. But when the defense gives him a different look or something goes differently on a play, it's like he just goes into robot mode and panics. That play on 3rd down in the red zone where he could have 1) Ran or 2) checked it down to Jones was the perfect example. All the WRs were covered and he panicked. Either check it down to the RB coming across the middle of the field or take off and run for the 1st down. Throwing it away there was a wasted opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Cousins did fine last night it was a team loss due to the team great imbalance.

I'm behind Cousins as much as anybody, but he was far from fine last night. It didn't appear that he was seeing the field well, he wasn't stepping up or moving around the pocket, and there were several bad throws (low, behind the receiver, etc.).

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Cousins did fine last night it was a team loss due to the team great imbalance.  If Roethlisberger had played for the Skins Ben would have lost also because all the Skins can do is throw and catch, punt and kick.  The Skins cannot run, stop the run or rush the passer, or at least they absolutely failed to do anything of these things last night.

If Roethlisberger played with the Skins against the Steeler's DL that totally stifled the running game and was able to apply pressure while dropping 7 or 8 deep Ben would have been relegated to tossing short stuff all night long also.  An unbalanced team has a tough time winning football games against a good team.  The 2016 Redskins look a lot like the 2015 Redskins and I was hoping for more.

I agree we aren't that good but I don't believe Ben would struggle here. We have weapons, Ben is legit. He certainly would get more than 1 TD. It is true, in that it's not just on Kirk. It's everything.

Archived