Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Kirk need to learn to extend plays better?

NoCalMike

Given the weapons we have, does anyone think there could be a trust issue?

Maybe KC doesn't trust his receivers to throw deep more? Maybe Gruden doesn't trust KC or the receivers?

I'm asking legitimately, because it seems to me that DJax is a deep threat, Reed can get downfield a bit, Garcon, maybe Crowder?

I was thinking/hoping that this offense would begin to somewhat resemble GB this season, and it still may later on, but coming out the gate, first game, the offense didn't seem explosive. Do the coaches have trust that they would be aggressive to the deep ball, going up and battling for it?

Again, just asking, no need for sarcasm.

6 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Given the weapons we have, does anyone think there could be a trust issue?

It's interesting you bring this up because I was just wondering this myself.  Something I really don't see a lot of in our scheme are those sideline back shoulder throws.  Those mofos are absolute back breakers for defenders . You think you have your guy blanketed as he is trying to get open down field, the ball is thrown and the WR just stops, turns and the ball is just about in his chest already.  It's a great tool to have, but it also requires a lot of trust between the QB and the WR, because if the WR makes the wrong move or doesn't stop it could be a disaster. 

I remember watching Moss make those catches then zipping sideways across the field before turning upfield.

I'm gonna pay close attention to the coverage and how quickly KC looks off the deep route runner, and if he ever comes back to him. Sometimes he just has to let the ball go and give the guys a chance to make a play; he has enough arm to throw deep enough with accuracy to give the WR a chance to adjust one way or another to the ball, but he's not doing it. I'm thinking he doesn't want to take the chance on it getting picked off, but a QB cannot play scared like that.

69.8... 329..... meh. That was dink and dunk underneath garbage time stats for Kirk last week. 

Back OT - I would like Jay to be the bright one here, and draw up plays where Cousins uses his legs, and extends plays. Sure we probably couldn't run the classic Cousins boot vs the Pitt front, but I call bunk to those that say we cannot occasionally move OL and create a satellite pocket. And still move him around using blocking tight ends to seal off an edge. We have blocking TEs this year.

My own personal theory, with a QB that is overthinking or scared. Get his ass on a treadmill, get him moving around and running. The game comes more naturally for some when they are not overthinking and that happens when running. Kirk dominated last year with the little boots and sprints right, with the 3 layers of WRs right in front of him.

We didn't even run his go to play one time.

19 hours ago, Alexa said:

So are you saying he didn't have any good games before he became the full time starter? Cause it you're saying that that is simply not true. Not true at all. 

No I'm simply pointing out that he only had about a half of a good season last year and the poster I was addressing appeared to be saying that is who Kirk is and I think that's premature.  Put his good 8-9 good games from last yesr with a few good ones prior and there we are.  OK so 10 may have been low, sorry if I didn't go to the trouble of looking at all 32 games.  But the fact is he has had as many more poor games as good ones and his history against good teams is something that can't just be dismissed.  I understand he was a young QB in a lot of those games but sorry, if the Giants were placing their hopes on a QB with this track record we would not be afraid.

I dont know what Kirks issue was. He look ed REALLY nervous even before he took the first snap. He was rushing throws, not letting plays develop, sensing pressure that was not there, and missing wide open receivers in favor of the checkdown. I hope it was just season opening prime time jitters. He seemed to settle down a bit when they went no huddle. Whatever it was... he did not look like the QB that had command of the offense down the stretch last year. Looking forward to Dallas week!

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

69.8... 329..... meh. That was dink and dunk underneath garbage time stats for Kirk last week. 

We didn't even run his go to play one time.

I agree...there was 1-2 throws that he made where I was impressed. One was the deep crossing pattern to Jackson (I think it was immediately following Pittsburgh's first TD). Of course, we went backwards 15 yards with two penalties before ultimately coming up a yard short on 4th down. Outside of that, I can't think of any throw he made that seemed difficult or hard. He needs to step up. 

I also think we need to call a couple more zone-read plays. He has done an OK job reading those correctly and getting decent yardage when he keeps it. Certainly that might have been a good call on 3rd- or 4th-and-short. 

Archived