Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem

Burgold

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Reading online that the entire Seahawks team will be joining in and are being backed by Pete Carroll.

If true, I would say that Kap has been successful in getting a movement started, that will be bring a lot of attention to the cause behind it as it gains more steam.

The world needs villains.

28 minutes ago, STBonecrusher21 said:

Is that not what the standing for the national anthem been for forever now? Or are they ending their protest come regular season?

If you do something because you're supposed to do it, does it really have any meaning?  Ask a kid who's doing the Pledge of Allegiance in school what it means to them and see if you get anything other than a regurgitation of what they were told it's for.

• Like 1

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/09/politics/navy-sailor-sits-national-anthem/index.html

I wasn't going to bring this up when it was just on the local level but now that CNN has it, I guess there is no hiding it.  Because of my job, and the fact she was in my department, I will keep my opinions to myself.  But what are your thoughts on this everyone?

and GO!!!

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/09/politics/navy-sailor-sits-national-anthem/index.html

I wasn't going to bring this up when it was just on the local level but now that CNN has it, I guess there is no hiding it.  Because of my job, and the fact she was in my department, I will keep my opinions to myself.  But what are your thoughts on this everyone?

and GO!!!

Is it against naval rules and regs to sit during the anthem?  Was it on personal time or navy time?  Those are all pertinent questions.

From the article:

"The Navy requires all service members, whether in or out of uniform, to stand and face the flag whenever the national anthem is played."

So, based on that, she should face whatever punishment the Navy has prescribed for disobeying their orders.

Edited by Springfield

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So, based on that, she should face whatever punishment the Navy has prescribed for disobeying their orders.

Seems pretty straightforward, kinda like the kids on my old ballteams, ya are gonna stand up and take ya hat off or sit somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Is it against naval rules and regs to sit during the anthem?   

Yes.

Was it on personal time or navy time?

There is no personal time.  You are always in the Navy and therefore on their time.

she should face whatever punishment the Navy has prescribed for disobeying their orders.

I wish I could fill you in on the details of what happened but I can't. 

*EDIT:  I can say that you can look up punishments for Article 92 and compare it to what is being reported.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Brandon Marshall lost an endorsement deal.  

Cue the people who will be mad at the company and those who will smirk and say he had it coming. 

it was for the AAFCU- air academy federal credit union. understandable that they did it. military dont play.

14 hours ago, Springfield said:

Is it against naval rules and regs to sit during the anthem?  Was it on personal time or navy time?  Those are all pertinent questions.

From the article:

"The Navy requires all service members, whether in or out of uniform, to stand and face the flag whenever the national anthem is played."

On the weather decks (outside parts) of a Naval ship, you must face the quarterdeck and either salute (if in uniform) or stand at attention (if in civies) for the anthem, morning at 0800 or at sunset when it comes down. 

Some folks would start running for the "inside".  I was the odd-ball, I never ran to avoid the policy.  If you can't stand & honor the flag you fight for...to make sure it still waves, (as in the very last question in the anthem), you don't deserve the paycheck or the honor of wearing that uniform.  

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the 'how' but it's their right.  However, I'm interested to see if this sort of protest will occur outside of domestic teams and into the USA world teams.  At that point you are playing for your country and representing your country.  Will people try and protest on an international level, will they reject the offer to play for the USA Team, what outcome will happen if they protest on an international level against the flag and country they are representing?  Think it's ugly now, wait until that happens.