Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Standing during the Pledge or National Anthem


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Standing at home?  

Like I said, my hand is on my heart if I hear it.  No matter what, when, or how.  Sitting, standing, and yes, I'm old enough to have had it happen while on the john.

Give your country some love, if you haven't already. <edit add>...not directed at anyone. 

Edited by skinsmarydu
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DM72 said:

 

IMO, it's easy to make the decision that they made when you know it's really not going to affect their bottom line. 

 

It may not effect their bottom line, but that doesn't mean that race is at all the reson behind it.

 

From a marketing standpoint, there are many black athletes that have a huge marketing upside to them.  Cam Newton for one.  Might be the biggest face in the game right now.  Kevin Durant is hugely popular.  Many of the biggest names in sport are black.

 

As far as marketing pull, it's impossible to say that black sponsors don't matter.  Michael Jordan's name is behind the most popular show line of all time.  That is MAJOR dollars there.

It is completely disrespectful to boo the president in a public forum.  Unamerican in my eyes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

 

think it's pretty clear "its what is expected by those who adhere to white supremacy"

right, now if you cant see the hypocrisy between booing the commander and chief making a nonpolitical statement on a day honoring those that lost their lives on 9/11 while also wanting to also wrap themselves up in the flag, then that is on you because you do not want to understand.

One of your fellow posters understood my post clear as day. Like I said before, catch up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

right, now if you cant see the hypocrisy between booing the commander and chief making a nonpolitical statement on a day honoring those that lost their lives on 9/11 while also wanting to also wrap themselves up in the flag, then that is on you because you do not want to understand.

One of your fellow posters understood my post clear as day. Like I said before, catch up.

 

so they're immediately white supremacists? I don't agree with booing the President, or booing in general, but I just don't get how they immediately become white supremacists? Seems like the cool thing to do nowadays with thinking everyones immediately a racist white supremacist if they don't agree with your way of thinking. In fact, the whole schtick is getting pretty old and it shows that the people making the statement are probably just racists themselves, they just blame everyone else.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Like I said, I am not spelling it out for you. If you think its getting old, cool.

Will you spell it out for me?

 

I agree with SemperFi.  It sure sounds like you were saying the people that do or say X are white supremacists.  And frankly, I'm getting pretty tired of accusations being thrown around like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It may not effect their bottom line, but that doesn't mean that race is at all the reson behind it.

 

From a marketing standpoint, there are many black athletes that have a huge marketing upside to them.  Cam Newton for one.  Might be the biggest face in the game right now.  Kevin Durant is hugely popular.  Many of the biggest names in sport are black.

 

As far as marketing pull, it's impossible to say that black sponsors don't matter.  Michael Jordan's name is behind the most popular show line of all time.  That is MAJOR dollars there.

It is completely disrespectful to boo the president in a public forum.  Unamerican in my eyes.

 

As long as those guys just go out there and play/entertain and don't do or say anything controversial, they'll be OK. Let them step out of line and then you'll see.

Why do you think MJ remained silent on important issues all these years?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DM72 said:

 

As long as those guys just go out there and play/entertain and don't do or say anything controversial, they'll be OK. Let them step out of line and then you'll see.

Why do you think MJ remained silent on important issues all these years?

 

People of all races lose sponsorships all of the time. They have rules to follow. You don't follow the rules, you don't get sponsored. Happens all of the time for various reasons. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DM72 said:

 

 

Why do you think MJ remained silent on important issues all these years?

 

I actually think MJ didn't care much about social issues. (that, or his opinion differed from the popular narrative )

I'm sure there have been some who were silent due to financial considerations.

Edited by grego
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gamebreaker said:

What are the rules? 

 

Depends on the sponsor. In the case quoted, it seems the Air Force Credit Union has a strict code of conduct which mirrors the military itself, and the code was broken.

Freedom of Speech isn't always free.

And to be honest, if any sponsor want to cancel a sponsorship at anytime, I am sure they can. Just like with work in right-to-work states... they don't need to give you a reason.

Edited by SemperFi Skins
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so I'm clear.......

 

Kap is allowed to use freedom of speech to sit.

People who don't like it and speak on it are racist.

The people complaining about the people that don't like it are just using free speech. 

The NFL should allow it's players to do these things because they are a private business but should respect their employees rights.

The NFL should fine/suspend a player for saying something racist because it makes the NFL look bad.

This credit union is using the same rules as the NFL but is wrong.

 

And this all sounds okay to everyone???

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DM72 said:

 

So what if he kneels? This move by them is exactly why people are protesting. I just wonder if most of their clientele were black, would they have dropped him? I doubt it.

It's a military credit union and his kneeling during the national anthem...what exactly are you not getting? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, he basically took a quote a made it in to a racial thing when clearly Tortorella said ANY player that doesn't stand will be benched. Considering the wide majority of hockey players are white, it's clear this JT Brown is going out of his way to single himself out and make anything and everything racial. That's not progress.

Edited by SemperFi Skins
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RonArtest15 said:

 

What's the racial make up of the NHL? 

 

Has nothing to do with it... though people choose to make it that way. He says stand during the national anthem or you'll be benched. His son is an Army Ranger. He sees it as a sign of respect, so in theory, you're disrespecting his son. 

Find another way to protest if you're so inclined.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

 

Has nothing to do with it... though people choose to make it that way. He says stand during the national anthem or you'll be benched. His son is an Army Ranger. He sees it as a sign of respect, so in theory, you're disrespecting his son. 

Find another way to protest if you're so inclined.

He speaks for his son? There are veterans who are saying they served to protect someone's rights, not to protect a flag or anthem, what if his son is one of those people? I find it interesting that his son apparently doesn't have a voice in the matter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gamebreaker said:

He speaks for his son? There are veterans who are saying they served to protect someone's rights, not to protect a flag or anthem, what if his son is one of those people? I find it interesting that his son apparently doesn't have a voice in the matter. 

How do you know his son has no say?  Because his son doesn't directly speak to the media?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...