Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star Wars Rogue One Thread

DM72

20 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Didn't Darth Vader bring 'balance to the force' by culling the Jedi population down to about the size of the Sith population?

But the force isn't Jedi or Sith. if it were there would be no need to fight to eliminate the other side if true balance was required for anything. They are just users of the force that is all around 

sith vs Jedi number is meaningless 

On 12/30/2016 at 2:21 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Just saw this photo pop up online.

Han, Darth (well..1/2 of him), Chewbacca, Leia, Luke, R2-D2

I love the picture, but it really looks to me like Kenny Baker's picture has been pasted into that.  (And I'm normally not one to point fingers and say that.  Among other things, because I don't really trust my ability to make that pronouncement.)  

On 12/30/2016 at 1:05 PM, China said:

So both Darth Maul and Boba Fett survived?  These writers need to stop being pussies and actually kill off a character.  Always finding some ridiculous way to survive is stupid.  Next you'll tell me Han Solo survived.

How in the world did Maul survive when you see him cut in half falling down the shaft? 

On 12/31/2016 at 10:26 PM, PokerPacker said:

because reasons.

On 12/31/2016 at 9:57 PM, Gamebreaker said:

How in the world did Maul survive when you see him cut in half falling down the shaft? 

Hey, he's an alien that regenerates like Wolverine. Cutting him in half just starts the procreation process! Now, there are two Mauls!

Just saw Rogue One at the theater and loved it!  

At first I thought it started out a little messy, but by the time it ended I was totally invested in the story and the characters.

Spoiler

Actually I'm somewhat depressed now that we won't get to see anymore of them.  While I loved the ending, I wish at least some of the characters could have survived. 

On December 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM, DM72 said:

Lol...Paging Code.

Its funny, the hate for the prequels is subsiding. I'm seeing it more and more on other sites and everytime there is an article on Facebook or twitter, it follows with an avalanche of people who don't hate the prequels. Its been cool to hate them, but I don't get it.  

What is stupid about Clones being cloned from one of the top bounty hunters? Why is it stupid that Anakin built C3pO? 

I just posted in another reply, most of what is awesome in SW is implied.  I still contend, the prequels never stood a chance with many original fans because they already had an expectation of what they wanted to see.  

From Lucas' own mouth, he said the prequels were for the fans of the original movies to take their kids to see.  My son, my nephew, most of the students I teach love the prequels and do not care for the original movies. Its when you grew up and what you grew up with.  

Even Gareth Edwards came to the defense of the prequels by saying, imagine the prequels as a kids movie explaining how a hero becomes evil in 7 hours.  

On December 31, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

But the force isn't Jedi or Sith. if it were there would be no need to fight to eliminate the other side if true balance was required for anything. They are just users of the force that is all around 

sith vs Jedi number is meaningless 

Force users don't have to exclusively be Jedi or Sith.  The Jedi Order is kind of like being a buddhist monk or something along those lines. Everyone who uses force or a lightsaber and is good is not automatically a Jedi Knight.  Just like the Sith are a specific order (and teachings) of Darkside users.  Just because you use the dark side, it doesn't make you a Sith.

On 12/31/2016 at 6:57 PM, Gamebreaker said:

On 12/31/2016 at 7:26 PM, PokerPacker said:

because reasons.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/darth-maul

Thought dead, Darth Maul survived his injuries by focusing on his hatred of Obi-Wan Kenobi, the Jedi who cut him in half. His shattered body was dumped amid the refuse of the junk planet Lotho Minor, where the once deadly warrior fell into madness, staying alive on a diet of vermin. When found by his brother Savage Opress, Maul had no memory of who he was, rambled nonsensically, and had built hideous spider-like legs in place of his severed ones. 

Opress brought Maul back to his homeworld of Dathomir, where the Nightsister Mother Talzin used dark magicks to restore the fallen Sith’s mind and body. 

Good article to read if interested.  Sums up a lot of things I've been saying before the article was written.

https://www.inverse.com/article/19900-defending-the-star-wars-prequels

Back in the summer of 1999, no one I was friends with hated Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Placed against contemporary popular opinion, this memory seems incongruous with how the current zeitgeist largely regards this movie and its two subsequent sequels, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Sure, I wouldn’t say the films comprising the Star Wars “prequel” trilogy are great movies, and I don’t even think they accomplish the goals they set out to achieve. But the now-accepted narrative that they were universally hated by everyone instantly and therefore have no worth at all, is totally outrageous and borderline intellectually dishonest.

Fon Davis – a former ILM model-maker appearing in The Prequels Strike Back – said “We actually did more miniatures on the prequels than in the original films.” Meaning, if you continue to regard the prequels as being fake movies made entirely in a computer, you’re at least half-wrong.

In terms of historical opinions of the prequels, haters are also dead-wrong about how the film was initially perceived by mainstream critics. The film review of The Phantom Menace in the New York Times was overwhelming positive in 1999, an indisputable fact which now seems to be completely inconceivable by contemporary fan culture. When I asked Weatherholt how we account for this perception gap he told me plainly, “The internet.” If an opinion is repeated enough on the internet, particularly about something with mass appeal like Star Wars, it seems inevitable that fans will start simply parroting opinions they’ve picked up from others and maybe in fact, not even be forming their own opinions. As Matt Singer says in the documentary, “Nobody hates Star Wars like a Star Wars fan.”

I don't know code, I can't agree. I don't think it's cool to hate on the prequels, I think they're just not very good. The writing and directing was subpar and the CGI was distractingly obvious and overused. 

I was in middle school when Phantom Menace came out and even as 12 year olds we could tell it was a mess. Contrary to the author you posted, I can't remember anyone actually liking it. 

I saw the other two in high school and it got better, but not to the point that I'd call them good. Revenge of the Sith was actually solid overall, except that the cheesy Vader "Noooooo!" scene turned one of the most popular movie villains of all time into a laughing stock. That's just utterly horrid direction. Again, nobody I knew felt like they did the series justice then or now.

To be fair, Return of the Jedi has some scenes that make me wince as an adult even though I loved them as a kid. 

3 hours ago, codeorama said:

Good article to read if interested.  Sums up a lot of things I've been saying before the article was written.

https://www.inverse.com/article/19900-defending-the-star-wars-prequels

In terms of historical opinions of the prequels, haters are also dead-wrong about how the film was initially perceived by mainstream critics. The film review of The Phantom Menace in the New York Times was overwhelming positive in 1999, an indisputable fact which now seems to be completely inconceivable by contemporary fan culture. When I asked Weatherholt how we account for this perception gap he told me plainly, “The internet.” If an opinion is repeated enough on the internet, particularly about something with mass appeal like Star Wars, it seems inevitable that fans will start simply parroting opinions they’ve picked up from others and maybe in fact, not even be forming their own opinions. As Matt Singer says in the documentary, “Nobody hates Star Wars like a Star Wars fan.”

It's a nice straw man they've set up (everyone hates it) but this blog is as intellectually dishonest as it accuses haters of being.

Mainstream reviewers were decidedly mixed.  That NYT review (which had some significant criticisms of the acting and the characterizations, btw) leans positive.  So did Egbert.  Others were more negative.  But this overly sugarcoats the reaction the movie got.  There are plenty of negative contemporary reviews to choose from.  From that perspective it's a disappointment.  Very mixed reviews is not what you're going for with a movie like that.  And I will add that Ep 1 got numerous Razzie nominations, for worst picture, worst director, worst screenplay, worst supporting actor (2 noms), worst supporting actress, and worst on-screen couple.  Does that not also inform how the film was initially perceived?

I know it upsets you to hear it, but most of us who say we don't like it genuinely don't like it and made that evaluation all by ourselves.  Not because we think it's cool not to like it, and not because we're mis-remembering how much we actually liked it at the time, and not because the internet tells us not to like it.  I distinctly remember how disappointed I was in the theater when I saw it the first time - 21 years old, in a packed house on opening weekend.  In fact I did the opposite of what you and this blogger are suggesting - at first I convinced myself that I was too distracted by how irritating Jar Jar was (even the NYT reviewer admits that), that it was better than I thought and I just needed to see it again to appreciate it more.  So I saw it again a week or two later.  Nope.  Still didn't like it.  I've seen it another 2 or 3 times all the way through since then, plus bits and pieces when it's on tv.  I still don't like it.  How many more times do I have to see it before I'm forming my own opinion and not simply parroting others?

6 hours ago, codeorama said:

From Lucas' own mouth, he said the prequels were for the fans of the original movies to take their kids to see.  

This is a very interesting quote, if true.   To me, it says that he started off with his head in the wrong place, and it's an indictment on the studio for not getting him turned around.  It's a fun conceit, but it shows that he didn't have his finger anywhere near the pulse of the fanbase or a genuine understanding of what made the original trilogy into a cultural touchstone.  

In the battle of Jedah couldn't help but think of a striking resemblance between, say, an occupying force rolling through sandy streets in a tank fighting turban-wearing "extremists"

In real world terms "Jeddah" is a city in Saudi Arabia.

also in Rogue One city of Jedah isndestroyed under an eclipsed sun that bears a strong resemblance to a crescent moon?

9 hours ago, codeorama said:

Force users don't have to exclusively be Jedi or Sith.  The Jedi Order is kind of like being a buddhist monk or something along those lines. Everyone who uses force or a lightsaber and is good is not automatically a Jedi Knight.  Just like the Sith are a specific order (and teachings) of Darkside users.  Just because you use the dark side, it doesn't make you a Sith.

I agree that's why I don't understand the idea that the Sith vs Jedi numbers are a barometer of the balance of the force 

I needed a Star Wars movie like this after TFA was terrible for me.

There was enough character development with Andor and Jyn and the supporting characters were good as well. They were not going to be able to dive too deep or there would have been no action. They did great here.

TFA was a remake of the first ever star wars but so much worse. They had the least imposing bad guy I have seen in any of the films by far. The chracter development was terrible. The initial interactions are between Rey and a droid and then Poe and Finn for 2 minutes, and you learn absolutely nothing about Poe other than he is a good pilot.

Finn crashes and then is literally running with Rey. Rey doesn't even know the force exists and then is just using it and then beating a guy who has supposedly been training for a while, her first time using a light saber. Oh yeah the lighsaber from a mystery box.....

TFA was pretty bad for me. Harrison Ford kind of saved the movie, and was before he died in the movie. 

And again they did so bad with all of this on the exact same plot as a New Hope which is why I see it as such a huge failure.

After seeing for the 3rd time, I think it was better than TFA, which is also great. It's so good that when it comes out on blu-ray, I'll never watch A New Hope without watching Rogue One first. IMO, it's one long movie.

Archived