Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star Wars Rogue One Thread

DM72

I keep seeing all over the place in articles and such how Tarkin was a distraction and really subtracted from the movie. I feel like that's the new hip buzzword.

How was he a distraction? I thought it looked really good. I knew he was CGI, but I didn't feel distracted from the movie or story at all. I just though, wow he's in this a lot more than  I thought and doesnt look too bad.

Can anyone explain to me how it was distracting? Makes no sense to me.

FWIW my co-worker saw this the other day, hasn't watched the original in years I think. Didn't know who Peter Cushing was, or that the same guy was in the original. He had no idea that character was CGI, didn't even cross his mind. Leia he knew, she's more prominent and had literally just passed away, but just figured they used the same footage of her from A New Hope.

In other words, hardcore fans only know it's CGI because we knew what the real thing was 'supposed' to look like. Someone who had no idea what it was supposed to be like would be clueless, and ends up happier for it.

TL;DR, hardcore fans found a glitch in the Matrix and are crusading against it. Everyone else is happier for not caring!

That's that clean livin' on Alderaan for ya. 

As far as CGI, I'm surprised that someone wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Even if the facial graphics are good, CGI people just don't quite move like real humans. 

I agree with Poker that he was in too many closeups. It wasn't really necessary. Other than that it was fine. He's an important character, so I don't have any problem with them doing the best they can to recreate his image. 

1 hour ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I keep seeing all over the place in articles and such how Tarkin was a distraction and really subtracted from the movie. I feel like that's the new hip buzzword.

How was he a distraction? I thought it looked really good. I knew he was CGI, but I didn't feel distracted from the movie or story at all. I just though, wow he's in this a lot more than  I thought and doesnt look too bad.

There was no distraction. People just love to complain. If they didn't know he was dead, the vast majority wouldn't be able to tell that Tarkin was CGI.

3 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

My problem with Tarkin wasn't that he was in the movie.  I thought it was great.  (And actually wanted to learn more about him.)  

I just thought that he looked like bad CGI.  I mean, like they took him out of a video game.  

And I'm not one of those folks who sits in movies and tries to find flaws.  In fact, I've never got the folks complaining about CGI in the previous film.  I never saw a single problem with them.  In fact, I can't name a single scene from the prequils where I can say "that was CGI".  (Other than things like "I assume Jar Jar was CGI, simply because there's no other way to make somebody look like that.)  

But there were scenes where I thought Tarkin looked like he came from a cartoon.  

2 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

FWIW my co-worker saw this the other day, hasn't watched the original in years I think. Didn't know who Peter Cushing was, or that the same guy was in the original. He had no idea that character was CGI, didn't even cross his mind. Leia he knew, she's more prominent and had literally just passed away, but just figured they used the same footage of her from A New Hope.

When I saw Leia, I thought she looked funny, but assumed that they'd simply hired a different actress to play her.  (And I felt that they should have just left her out, instead, rather than hire a different actress for a cameo.)  

My wife leaned over to me several times during the movie and pointed out how ridiculous Tarkin looked. I didn't notice anything out of place, but I was hardly looking for it.

Leia's CGI looked pretty good thanks to limited character movement.

My wife and I saw the movie the other day.  She didn't know that Tarkin was from the original Star Wars and was CGI.  I asked her last night if any of the humans looked funny other or fake other then Leia (who she knows).  She said no.  She didn't notice.  I thought he looked okay and didn't really think it was a distraction.

31 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

At one point, I thought we saw him, but then that pilot blew up.

He was a porker too but asian. I loved the cameo of Ponda Baba and Doctor Evazan from episode 4. Baba was the cantina patron that gave Luke a tough time and Obi-Wan cuts off Baba's arm. That was a bit violent for a Jedi to cut off his arm. Why wouldn't he just do a Jedi mind trick? Then again...maybe this question would be better suited in the random thought thread?

3 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

He was a porker too but asian. I loved the cameo of Ponda Baba and Doctor Evazan from episode 4. Baba was the cantina patron that gave Luke a tough time and Obi-Wan cuts off Baba's arm. That was a bit violent for a Jedi to cut off his arm. Why wouldn't he just do a Jedi mind trick? Then again...maybe this question would be better suited in the random thought thread?

He doesn't like you...

Sorry... 

I don't like you either... 

I have the death sentence in 12 systems... 

I'll be careful...

You'll be dead!!

This little won's not worth the effort... 

Arrrrrghhhhh!!!!

[Lightsaber on, arm off]

I always referred to him as pignose guy and the other as walruss face.

Pretty sure Lucas made sure to put them in a comic... everyone in these movies is like Rosencrantz and Gilderstern.

50 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

4-Ponda-Bobas-Arm.gif

I did a quick google search to find out their names. Interesting that one of them is a doctor. I wonder what the timeline is between their appearance in Rogue One and the Cantina scene in episode 4?

Less than a week. They cause trouble everywhere but I guess that's the life you're destined to have when you are born with a ballsack for a chin

latest?cb=20130225025836

The doctor was a plastic surgeon who started doing twisted experiments on people.  I think a bounty hunter disfigured his face and Ponda Baba rescued him.  At that point they started working together smuggling for Jabba, which is probably why they were on Tatooine.  I guess they were on their way out of Jedha right as Rogue One was occurring.

On 1/13/2017 at 8:19 PM, Larry said:

My problem with Tarkin wasn't that he was in the movie.  I thought it was great.  (And actually wanted to learn more about him.)  

I just thought that he looked like bad CGI.  I mean, like they took him out of a video game.  

And I'm not one of those folks who sits in movies and tries to find flaws.  In fact, I've never got the folks complaining about CGI in the previous film.  I never saw a single problem with them.  In fact, I can't name a single scene from the prequils where I can say "that was CGI".  (Other than things like "I assume Jar Jar was CGI, simply because there's no other way to make somebody look like that.)  

But there were scenes where I thought Tarkin looked like he came from a cartoon.  

Almost everything in the prequels was CGI.  I saw somewhere that 90% of Phantom Menace was CGI.

But personally, I think they shoulda just recast Tarkin.  

Tarkin looked like a cartoon to me, and I kept wanting to be impressed.  I think if one has seen a videogame in the last five years, the CGI will pop out to him or her.  It becomes much easier to notice the shiny, smoothness of the character's skin, along with the odd mechanical motions of their "bones." 

Archived