Extremeskins

Star Wars Rogue One Thread

DM72

8 minutes ago, Skinz4Life12 said:

Also really loved how it seamlessly transitioned into episode 4

So freakin' cool

Only bad thing (well, more sad than bad):

Spoiler

This movie had such interesting characters. I found Jyn, Cassian, Imwe, Malbus to be very likable people. I wanted to see Jyn's back story from the time Forrest Whittaker found her to the time we see her as a laborer slave. Cassian talked of great sacrifices and that he had been in the rebellion his entire life, I'd love to see some of it. Imwe, a blind, wanna-be Jedi and his friend Malbus with the minigun from hell. I found our "core four" + the droid to be incredibly interesting. I would have loved to get to know all of them over several films the same way we got to know the Star Wars heroes throughout the trilogy. 

But I knew Rogue One was a stand alone movie and I remembered hearing about the sacrifices that were made to get the DS plans, and figured it would not end well for some. But to see ALL of them die....wow. Gut punch. And then the final scene literally opens right up into a New Hope. I had to fight back tears, man. It finger-diddled my feelbox.

To think that the entire Star Wars story trilogy was all possible because of what the Rogue One folks did....awesome.

On 12/19/2016 at 7:24 PM, drowland said:

One thing I'll say after watching RO and putting in ANH, the opening crawl is now kinda pointless since there's a 2 hr movie covering it.

They should just shorten it to this...

<pic of new crawl>

I had a friend post on FB the "ultimate RO spoiler" and it was the crawl for A New Hope. 

Which made me laugh.

As an aside, I really wish that they would make a movie called "Vader" which covers the bad-ass (and extremely evil stuff) that Vader did during the time between Clone War and Rogue One.

Spoiler

The last scene, where Vader appears from darkness, turns on the light saber, and just cuts through the rebels like a hot knife through butter...  damn.  The cinematography of that scene was just absolutely perfect. How terrifying would that be....

Chew..

Spoiler

Regarding the Guardians of the Whills

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Order_of_the_Whills

In early drafts of A New Hope, the name 'Whills' is equivalent to the Force.

"Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else (an immortal being known as a Whill); there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concepts behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the Journal of the Whills."
―George Lucas[src]

edit...also someone had asked earlier. According to this, Carrie Fisher had finished her filming  in Ep VIII already.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/Carrie-Fisher-Wrapped-Star-Wars-Episode-10820953.php

damn, that was one cool movie.. I was amped to dislike it because SW7 was kind of lame... but this was allot of fun. Glad this is a one off... good characters and the writers had real balls.

the end was excellent but went on 10 mins too long... but the last 2 mins were so cool.

loved all the SW stuff included but gov Tarkin was a cheesy PlayStation 2 reject. 

I so hope they have a Biggs prequel... only guy I missed was porkins.

I liked it, but not as much as the rest of you guys. I thought it was a good war film, and the final act was astonishing, but it lacked the humor, spark and memorable characters that OT and The Force Awakens had. The first half in particular had clunky pacing and felt like expository setup material for something bigger, which it was. This can be circumvented by writing great characters to spice things up, but it didn't happen for me.

So yeah, it was fine, much better than episode I and II, but it's one of those action films that packs everything good into the last half hour so you'll leave the theater engaged. The rest was passable.

My only continuing critique of the series is the apparent cheaply made armor that the storm troopers are issued... which can't absorb even a blow from a stick, small thrown rocks and twigs, or blows from bear paws or a poorly thrown punch.

Seems a stiff breeze would knock them silly. I mean why bother?

and apparently the poor design spilled over into the new empire.

I always thought that the Empire views the stormtroopers (at least the ones wearing the white armor) as expendable since they can always raid another world and force those people to be stormtroopers. These guys generally aren't that great in that they are fresh out of training usually, so why waste resources on really protecting them.

45 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

@Bacon lacked humor? K2SO would like to tell you the chances you survive the night after that comment 

Didn't laugh once at anything he said, which surprised me because I usually like the droids. And because it's such a dark, heavy film, it felt like someone cracking jokes at a funeral. 

Oh well, my loss. I'm glad everyone here thought it was great.

20 hours ago, Bacon said:

I liked it, but not as much as the rest of you guys. I thought it was a good war film, and the final act was astonishing, but it lacked the humor, spark and memorable characters that OT and The Force Awakens had. The first half in particular had clunky pacing and felt like expository setup material for something bigger, which it was. This can be circumvented by writing great characters to spice things up, but it didn't happen for me.

So yeah, it was fine, much better than episode I and II, but it's one of those action films that packs everything good into the last half hour so you'll leave the theater engaged. The rest was passable.

I agree with this.

The first half of the movie was as close to bad as it could get.  I nearly fell asleep.

Also, I didn't realize that people **** on episode 7 the way they do.  I thought 7 felt like part of the epic, Rogue One was just a side show for me.

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Didn't laugh once at anything he said, which surprised me because I usually like the droids. And because it's such a dark, heavy film, it felt like someone cracking jokes at a funeral. 

Oh well, my loss. I'm glad everyone here thought it was great.

Hows it feel to be dead inside?

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Also, I didn't realize that people **** on episode 7 the way they do.  I thought 7 felt like part of the epic, Rogue One was just a side show for me.

I get the criticism that it's derivative of ANH, but that movie made me feel like a kid again. I hadn't enjoyed myself at the theater to that degree in a long time and, no, it wasn't because the plot felt familiar. I can watch ANH at any time, but I was legitimately thrilled to see a clutch of sparkling, memorable new characters to follow in Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren. They were just enough like their predecessors to slot comfortably into the SW universe while feeling conflicted and flawed in a uniquely modern way. I swear, I'll be defending that movie for the rest of my life.

For me, the characters are the major difference in quality between TFA and Rogue One. I couldn't name any interesting characteristics for the RO newbies and I just watched it. Even people that enjoy RO have been complaining that characters feel bland, which I guess is understandable since RO is a standalone film.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

@Bacon lacked humor? K2SO would like to tell you the chances you survive the night after that comment 

K2SO stole the movie imo.  Alan Tudyk did the voice and I found myself hoping he'd say "I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

1 minute ago, Destino said:

K2SO stole the movie imo.  Alan Tudyk did the voice and I found myself hoping he'd say "I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

I liked the droid, he was pretty cool for the most part.  He seemed a little snarky for a droid but I just assumed that was because he was hacked.

16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I get the criticism that it's derivative of ANH, but that movie made me feel like a kid again. I hadn't enjoyed myself at the theater to that degree in a long time and, no, it wasn't because the plot felt familiar. I can watch ANH at any time, but I was legitimately thrilled to see a clutch of sparkling, memorable new characters to follow in Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren. They were just enough like their predecessors to slot comfortably into the SW universe while feeling conflicted and flawed in a uniquely modern way. I swear, I'll be defending that movie for the rest of my life.

For me, the characters are the major difference in quality between TFA and Rogue One. I couldn't name any interesting characteristics for the RO newbies and I just watched it. Even people that enjoy RO have been complaining that characters feel bland, which I guess is understandable since RO is a standalone film.

Wow, honestly surprised about such an opinion on characters between the films. I really enjoyed VII but it has the most bland, generic new characters ever crafted...100% J.J. Abrams hack job. The "mystery box" is the only reason viewers are invested, and the only saving grace is that a different director and writing team have come in to salvage it. Could you imagine an Abrams sequel?

13 minutes ago, Destino said:

There were times when I actually wondered if Anthony Daniels was playing him.  I thought his voice, and some of his lines, would have fit just fine with C3PO.  

16 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

Wow, honestly surprised about such an opinion on characters between the films. I really enjoyed VII but it has the most bland, generic new characters ever crafted...100% J.J. Abrams hack job. The "mystery box" is the only reason viewers are invested, and the only saving grace is that a different director and writing team have come in to salvage it. Could you imagine an Abrams sequel?

Not even the most bland and generic characters in the series now that RO is out. ;)

I could imagine an Abrams sequel, and I'd probably enjoy it just fine. On a purely aesthetic level, I think Abrams did a terrific job and I'm sure whatever he scraped together for VIII would have been watchable in a Marvel movie kind of way.

As much as I loved VII and felt it laid a strong foundation for what's ahead, I'm glad that someone else is picking up where it left off and growing the series. Abrams is a very competent director, but he's not great at world building. Someone else will flesh out these characters better than he could.

12 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

Ive enjoyed most movies that Abrams has made.  Didn't realize that he wasn't highly regarded.

Single handedly brought Star Trek back as well.

Archived