Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

Also, the organization that Hawley’s wife is representing is very, very well-funded and for decades has attacked every possible corner of church-state separation under the paper-thin notion that they’re doing so in the name of religious freedom. Dangerous in the extreme, and you can smell the zealotry through this video. These Hawleys, they aren’t so comfy around strong black women, are they?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pregnant Women Can't Get Divorced in Missouri

The state's divorce law has come under more scrutiny since the overturning of Roe v. Wade

December 2020 was a turbulent month for Danielle Drake, 32, of Lake of the Ozarks. On December 1, her husband said he was going out with a friend, but he lied. He was actually having an affair. She filed for a divorce less than a week later, on December 7.

Then, not long before Christmas, Drake found out she was pregnant.

Drake knew immediately she had to file a second, amended petition for divorce. She also knew the impact her pregnancy would have on the divorce proceedings. Drake, who earned a law degree from University of Missouri Kansas City has been practicing family law for two years, was well aware that in Missouri, women who are pregnant can't get a divorce.

Missouri law states that a petition for divorce must  provide eight pieces of information, things like the residence of each party, the date of separation, and, notably, “whether the wife is pregnant.” If the answer is yes, Drake says, "What that practically does is put your case on hold."

There is a lot of disagreement online about whether pregnant Missouri women can get divorced. The RFT spoke to multiple lawyers who handle divorce proceedings and they all agreed that in Missouri a divorce can't be finalized if either the petitioner (the person who files for divorce) or the respondent (the other party in the divorce) is pregnant.

Dan Mizell, an attorney in Lebanon, Missouri, who has been practicing law since 1997, says that certain aspects of the divorce can proceed, but everything having to do with custody of the unborn child is frozen in place until birth or a pregnancy-ending event like a miscarriage. The court can issue temporary orders related to things like dividing up property, Mizell says. "But they can't do a final decree of divorce until she delivers the baby."

Drake says that this is true even in the case of a divorce that is completely uncontested. "If the couple is not fighting, and they're just saying, ‘Nope, she's gonna take the baby and 100 percent of the things’ they still cannot go before a judge and have that finalized until after there's a baby born," she says.

"It is a shock to some people," Mizell adds. "Sometimes it comes up at the very last minute, because the wife is usually asked to say under oath whether she is pregnant or not, which can be offensive at times, and also a bit ridiculous at others."

Drake also points out what seems to be a double standard in regards to how the state treats an unborn child in a divorce proceeding compared to in abortion law.

She says that the whole basis for Missouri putting the pause on a divorce proceeding until a child is born is because Missouri divorce law "does not see fetuses as humans."

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Maybe that would make me feel better, but we all know the dems will pass this, pat themselves on the back and just go home. You want more from us? You'll have to vote more and donate more.

14 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Plain evil ****

Hey. 

1)  Name something the Texas AG can do that will get him more favorable publicity than that.  

2)  And when he gets it to this Supreme Court, they'll probably win.  

• Like 1

Good.  Good.  

Make sure you tell every voter in your state, that your legislation would have forced that rape victim to be the incubator for the rapist's baby.  Before the GOP votes unanimously to pass it.  .  

41 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I don’t understand what the problem is.  Abortion is just an express lane to heaven based on their world view so you’re doing them a favor anyway. 

Dont you have to baptized first? I really don’t know. If my wife was pregnant, I’d get my headphones out, put them on her belly and baptize them with SLAYER!!! Hell Awaits!!! 

Just joking, I would actually play Cattle Decapitation so the kid will think about their choices with regarding saving animals and earth.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Dont you have to baptized first? I really don’t know. If my wife was pregnant, I’d get my headphones out, put them on her belly and baptize them with SLAYER!!! Hell Awaits!!! 

Just joking, I would actually play Cattle Decapitation so the kid will think about their choices with regarding saving animals and earth.

No, this would fall under an exception at least for a lot of evangelical denominations. Not sure about Catholicism though.  Original sin might keep them out, not sure the rules on that.  Just highlights the ridiculousness!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/31/2022 at 1:00 AM, China said:

Feds charge anti-abortion activists with 'conspiracy against rights'

Anti-abortion activist Lauren Handy and eight others are charged with using chains and rope to blockade the Washington Surgi-Clinic in 2020.

Click on the link for the full article

https://wtop.com/alexandria/2022/07/abortion-rights-opponents-sentenced-to-jail-for-trespassing-at-alexandria-womens-clinic/

An abortion rights opponent, who earlier this year had five fetuses seized from her home, is one of six activists who has pleaded guilty and been sentenced to jail for trespassing in 2021 at an Alexandria, Virginia, women’s health clinic.

Lauren Handy, the director of activism for Progressive Anti-Abortion Uprising, on Tuesday was sentenced to 30 days in jail by an Alexandria General District Court judge, for trespassing. The other defendants were sentenced to four days behind bars.

Really hope that's a fake post from AOC. 

If it's not, my thinking right now is that if I have to choose between her and an R in '24, I might sit out. 

Her proposal is that .... stupid?  Anti-American?  Counter rule of law?  

• Thumb down 2