Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Really hope that's a fake post from AOC. 

If it's not, my thinking right now is that if I have to choose between her and an R in '24, I might sit out. 

Her proposal is that .... stupid?  Anti-American?  Counter rule of law?  

Is this a joke?  She is basically saying Roe v. Wade could have been protected by Congress.  So let's protect the 3 or 4 other popular Supreme Court cases that are at risk of Supreme Court roll-back.  

I hate that I can't browse Twitter like a webpage...

58 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Is this a joke?  She is basically saying Roe v. Wade could have been protected by Congress.  So let's protect the 3 or 4 other popular Supreme Court cases that are at risk of Supreme Court roll-back.  

Just use Tweetdeck.

Then instead of a single hard-to-use column with no discernable organization, you get multiple custom hard-to-use columns with no discernable organization.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Not that I'm in the know, but couldn't Roe v Wade have been codified into federal law via legislation? As well as any other important ones (Loving, Obergefell, Brown)?

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

No she's not. 

She's proposing that Congress intentionally misread a phrase in the Constitution, and eliminate the constitutional separation of powers. 

Because her side lost a vote. 

No, the constitution does not grant Congress the authority to declare a person, a place, or a piece of legislation, to be completely immune to the entire judicial branch. 

On a scale of wrongness, her proposal is pretty close to the proposal for Congress to throw out the votes of six states, because they lost a vote. They're not identical. But they're pretty close. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

Actually, I like her proposal Larry. One of the arguments around individual gun rights is whether individual ownership is a misinterpretation of the garbage constitution. Sounds like the same kind of thing to me. The other side has thrown out the rules so we'd be suckers to keep playing by them.

• Like 1

I suspect AOCs tweet is on the condition of a national law banning abortion..or gay marriages..or whatever. As it stands right now, SCOTUS kicked it back to the states and their representatives. But when SCOTUS rules in favor of Republicans on an abortion case between say California and Texas (which is their purview as expressed in Article III), the **** will really hit the fan. 

• Thumb up 2

27 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Actually, I like her proposal Larry. One of the arguments around individual gun rights is whether individual ownership is a misinterpretation of the garbage constitution. Sounds like the same kind of thing to me. The other side has thrown out the rules so we'd be suckers to keep playing by them.

Then you should go join the mob storming the building, to stop them from voting. 

You being such a big believer in "well, the other side broke a rule, first" and all. 

I won't be there. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Larry said:

Really hope that's a fake post from AOC. 

If it's not, my thinking right now is that if I have to choose between her and an R in '24, I might sit out. 

Her proposal is that .... stupid?  Anti-American?  Counter rule of law?  

I checked.  It is a legit tweet from AOC.

On 7/15/2022 at 5:26 PM, Larry said:

Then you should go join the mob storming the building, to stop them from voting. 

You being such a big believer in "well, the other side broke a rule, first" and all. 

I won't be there. 

It's a matter of original jurisdiction (which cannot be restricted) vs appellate jurisdiction (which is subject to exceptions and regulations imposed by Congress).  So, it would not be in violation of the constitution if Congress wanted to create a separate lower federal courts dealing with subject xyz and except it from appellate review by the Supreme Court.

Obviously it's a nonstarter and a waste of time, but she's not advocating for something that the Constitution doesn't already permit.  The idea is not new either.  It's been floated as far back as the 70s on the sunject of abortion by the GOP (which is also a pretty good sign that it's a waste of time and pretty stupid imo).

Edited by bearrock

It’s going to get much worse; especially of the gop has full control if the national government in 25.

I know some think this be enough to keep the US congress in Dem hands, that people will rise up this November.

I don’t. I don’t think it will affect enough people to make a big difference this fall. Inflation still #1 issue.

Also, you really need to flip state congresses to stop this, since this all happening at state level.

Anericans aren’t proactive but reactive. They are going have to live under the Gop Christian Theocratic Sharia like state for a  few years and experience all the bad things coming; before voters throw them out.

It isn’t happening in 22. Maybe 24? I am thinking the 26,28 elections is when the gop is thrown out everywhere and the theocratic state can be undone.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Thumb up 1