Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

New York lawmakers move to enshrine abortion rights in state constitution

The New York State Legislature on Friday passed a constitutional amendment that, if fully enacted, would enshrine the right to an abortion and contraception access in the state constitution.

The amendment's passage Friday is the first step toward adding the language to the New York Constitution. Lawmakers will need to vote again to pass the amendment in the next legislative session next year and then voters must vote to pass it in a referendum before it can take effect.

The amendment language specifically names protection for rights related to pregnancy, pregnancy outcomes and reproductive health care and autonomy.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

One potential fight against the GOP Christian Theocratic Facist state is economic. Companies may find hard to be based in red states. Yeah, you got the lower taxes but employees may not want to live in resctricted states.

That's exactly what happened in Kansas with the extremely low taxes and state basically being a wasteland.

• Thumb up 2

59 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It will also be interesting to see if any kind of backlash against religion materializes. 

Particularly Christianity, because I haven't validated this but seen posts where Judiasm and Islam don't call to fully outlawing abortion like some Christians are, so they are complaining about it.

37 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Particularly Christianity, because I haven't validated this but seen posts where Judiasm and Islam don't call to fully outlawing abortion like some Christians are, so they are complaining about it.

I believe even Sharia law allows for abortion in the first few months, and I think there's currently a religious freedom suit being brought by some in the Jewish community as there are some circumstances in Judaism that call for abortion.

And of course there's also The Satanic Temple that has been talking about making Abortion a religious rite and suing on 1st amendment bounds.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Larry said:

Over/under on how long it is, before a woman gets prosecuted for smoking/drinking/drugs while pregnant. 

In a rare racist, malicious, greedy, or self serving punishing attempt to get at a person(s), yes. 

Now, over/under on how often it will happen. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, Renegade7 said:

In Mosaic law, while taking a life calls for the death of the offender, kicking a pregnant woman so that she miscarries requires only a fine.  The strict anti-abortion stance is actually a Catholic doctrine tjat evangelicals have embraced, despite claiming only biblical texts as authoritative. This is why Christian conservatives have packed the court with 6 Catholics.

• Thanks 1