Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Gorilla" thread...

codeorama

The zoo is at fault here.   As a parent,  when I take my children to the zoo,  I should have 100% confidence my 4 year old toddler can't make his way into a dangerous animal enclosure.    If you have children,  you know how far they can move in the 5 seconds your head was turned.   The mother isn't negligent.   This wasn't the curb on a busy highway where you would expect to have to hold tight the hand of your child to keep him/her from stepping off the curb. This is public entertainment venue that has a certain expectation of safety.  Certainly enough to prevent a toddler from getting into the gorilla enclosure. That there is any debate about this is mind numbing.  I'd sue there ass off as they failed completely to maintain a minimum of safety.   I've had my children to the zoo many times as toddlers, and we let them run back and forth between the exhibits as we watched them,  mostly concerned of stranger danger,  but often times not close enough to grab one in time if there had been easy access into an exhibit. 

The zoo is at fault here. As a parent, when I take my children to the zoo, I should have 100% confidence my 4 year old toddler can't make his way into a dangerous animal enclosure. If you have children, you know how far they can move in the 5 seconds your head was turned. The mother isn't negligent. This wasn't the curb on a busy highway where you would expect to have to hold tight the hand of your child to keep him/her from stepping off the curb. This is public entertainment venue that has a certain expectation of safety. Certainly enough to prevent a toddler from getting into the gorilla enclosure. That there is any debate about this is mind numbing. I'd sue there ass off as they failed completely to maintain a minimum of safety. I've had my children to the zoo many times as toddlers, and we let them run back and forth between the exhibits as we watched them, mostly concerned of stranger danger, but often times not close enough to grab one in time if there had been easy access into an exhibit.

Good thing you live in America then...because anywhere else in this world...it's your fault for letting them run around.

I can almost guarantee one thing tho..I bet that kid doesn't try and go into an animal cage again...if he does, he gets the Darwin award

A kid fell into the cheetah pit at the Cleveland Zoo a couple years ago.

Not to self, keep my kids away from Ohio zoos. Or Ohio, in general.

zoony says Ohio has hottest women in the US. 

A kid fell into the cheetah pit at the Cleveland Zoo a couple years ago.

Not to self, keep my kids away from Ohio zoos. Or Ohio, in general.

Kid fell into the jackal pit at the Pittsburgh zoo.

Of course the mother is a terrible parent. But not for the lack of supervision of the kid at the zoo..

She is a terrible parent because she is raising the kid in Ohio.

Ohio is far better than the congested craphole that is NoVA. Its really not even close

Ohio is far better than the congested craphole that is NoVA. Its really not even close

One thing about living in Ohio is that you must love, or pretend to love, Ohio with every bit of your soul.  Otherwise, they will make you an outcast.

Who?

SeaWorld and orcas.

Anyway

This is one of the better zoos, when it comes to conservation and helping animals. It's pretty well respected.

I think the major flaw, is what's risked for the entertainment aspect, which I would assume does most of the funding.

I think the major flaw, is what's risked for the entertainment aspect, which I would assume does most of the funding.

The issue is us bugging the animals.  Their habitats should be completely sound and vision proof from their perspectives.   We don't need to interact or engage with them in any way.  It's not good for them when we do.

The zoo is at fault here.   As a parent,  when I take my children to the zoo,  I should have 100% confidence my 4 year old toddler can't make his way into a dangerous animal enclosure.    If you have children,  you know how far they can move in the 5 seconds your head was turned.   The mother isn't negligent.   This wasn't the curb on a busy highway where you would expect to have to hold tight the hand of your child to keep him/her from stepping off the curb. This is public entertainment venue that has a certain expectation of safety.  Certainly enough to prevent a toddler from getting into the gorilla enclosure. That there is any debate about this is mind numbing.  I'd sue there ass off as they failed completely to maintain a minimum of safety.   I've had my children to the zoo many times as toddlers, and we let them run back and forth between the exhibits as we watched them,  mostly concerned of stranger danger,  but often times not close enough to grab one in time if there had been easy access into an exhibit. 

I agree that a more effective barrier should have been put in place. I disagree with your bolded statement. The 4 year old and his mother share in the responsibility. Plus 38 years of having this barrier with no known prior incidents or close calls is circumstantial evidence that the Zoo was providing a minimum of safety. There are a lot of legal considerations for each side. The child did not use the barrier as its intended use. The child's actions were voluntary and intentional (albeit as a 4 year old). The mother should have been on heightened notice when the child said he wanted to go in. On the flip side, shouldnt a zoo be held to a higher standard than "maintain a minimum safety"? Especially for the more dangerous animals? Isnt it foreseeable that a 4 year old could and would get through the barrier, even if it took 38 years for the foreseeable event to happen? 

It is a very sad and avoidable situation in which both parties share some responsibility. Is it 50/50? 30% Zoo, 70% mom/son? I dont know and honestly I dont really care where this incident falls on the blame spectrum. I do hope no litigation of any kind comes from this. Let ti be a learning experience for all and lets move on. 

I do know that am very relieved that the boy is okay. That is a parents worst nightmare and you could hear the heart stoping panic in the mothers voice. 

This is like saying you'd rather live in a garbage dump because the nights are quiet. You're right, it's not even close.

I've lived in both you haven't.

Btw Columbus and Cincy have far better restaurants than anything in DC much less NOVA. Much better quality of life and an economy that isn't simply "we live next to the capital".

Better golf courses by far, better traffic, and a much friendlier population

You must love urban sprawl, traffic, crowds, $1 million dollar piece of **** homes, and assholes I guess. But to each their own I don't judge :D

No.  No it really isn't.   Ohio is terrible.  It combines the worst of everything in America while providing with the best of nothing.  It's physically ugly, flat and boring.   It has some farmtowns combined with decrepit rundown rustbelt crud towns combined with a large contingent of hillbillies and meth labs in the south,  It has multiple cities but all of them lack history and character.  The weather is lousy.  

Other than the rollercoasters at Cedar Point, I can't think of any reason why anyone would ever go to Ohio for anything. 

One thing about living in Ohio is that you must love, or pretend to love, Ohio with every bit of your soul.  Otherwise, they will make you an outcast.

Kind of like Texas.  

But in Ohio, deep down they know they are lying to themselves.   Texans are provincial enough to actually believe their bullcrap about Texas.  :)

The issue is us bugging the animals. Their habitats should be completely sound and vision proof from their perspectives. We don't need to interact or engage with them in any way. It's not good for them when we do.

I'm in complete agreement and breeding animals to live their entire lives in a small cage, is also wrong.

Everyone is a little at fault here, but I don't think it's our place to bash the zoo, parent, or kid.

It is a tragedy overall that ended much better than it could have.

The kid was being a kid.

The parent will learn to watch her kid more closely and discipline her child better.

The zoo will update their barriers.

The gorilla was killed but it was the right decision. Human life has to take precedent over animal life in such a circumstance.

I've lived in both you haven't.

Btw Columbus and Cincy have far better restaurants than anything in DC much less NOVA. Much better quality of life and an economy that isn't simply "we live next to the capital".

Better golf courses by far, better traffic, and a much friendlier population

You must love urban sprawl, traffic, crowds, $1 million dollar piece of **** homes, and assholes I guess. But to each their own I don't judge :D

I do love urban sprawl, suburbs trending towards urban areas like Arlington are my idea of a happy compromise.  I'm horrible like that. 

As for Ohio, you're right I haven't lived there.  Every time I've been there I've found it entirely too depressing to consider seriously and frankly the lack of immigrants makes nervous.  I feel happiest in places where diversity means international community and not simply differently colored Americans. The DC area works for me, for now.

I have zero interest in golf and view it as sort of like outdoor bowling.  In both cases prefer not to have my drinking interrupted by a boring game I can't bring myself to care about. 

I do love urban sprawl, suburbs trending towards urban areas like Arlington are my idea of a happy compromise. I'm horrible like that.

As for Ohio, you're right I haven't lived there. It's entirely too depressing to consider seriously and frankly the lack of immigrants makes me nervous. I feel happiest in places where diversity means international community and not simply differently colored Americans. The DC area works for me, for now.

Meant to tell you thanks for the El Pollo Rico recommendation. It's my kids favorite meal (the version I make at home) and they loved it. My 6 year old girl crushed a 1/2

Meant to tell you thanks for the El Pollo Rico recommendation. It's my kids favorite meal (the version I make at home) and they loved it. My 6 year old girl crushed a 1/2

No problem, it's the worst kept secret in NoVA.  Glad your daughter liked it and I'm always amazed by how much food kids can put away. 

You make Peruvian chicken at home?  I'm impressed.

Their pictures are now online too. Sad to say, but my prediction is that some time in the next 24 hours the race card will be played by the "defenders of the parents" faction in response to the shame card being played against the parents by the "defenders of the Gorilla" faction.

EDIT: We've got the first reverse race-baiting article out now. Wow.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/05/31/after-screams-of-racism-over-gorilla-being-shot-for-a-white-kid-meet-his-parents-hint-they-arent-white-346532

EDIT 2: Now we got a direct race baiting article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-racism-found-cincinnati-zoo-saga-article-1.2655860

Maybe I should have predicted 24 minutes instead of hours.

The gorilla was killed because of white privilege- black lives matter.

Gotta be the onion.... Right?

You make Peruvian chicken at home? I'm impressed.

Gotta get a nuwave oven.

Get a whole 5 lb chicken, coat it with olive oil, thyme, paprika, garlic salt and pepper. Stuff it with lemon juice and onion.

About 35 minutes each side.

Delicious.

Archived