Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Gorilla" thread...

codeorama

Perhaps the best solution here is to ban children from the zoo. Maybe that's where we're headed. The county removed the swing set in the park behind my childhood home about 10 years ago due to liability concerns.

I'm just thankful that the child survived.

Ok I ran out of ape movies.  I'm done.

"King Kong, ain't got nothing on me"

Jump in the enclosure ? What for ? My 4 year old would pimp slap a silver back, and live to tell the story. 

Walking out of there with a " You like that?". 

Seriously though, no telling what anyone would instinctively do in that situation. I feel that the zoo really had no option, and I feel like the zoo is not really at fault here. As Popeman states and I agree with...38 years is pretty damn good as far as a safety record. Exemplary indeed. 

Well, given the social media reaction it seems to be divided into two groups.

Group 1: People with kids that realize that kids do crazy things outside of their control.

Group 2: People with no kids who blame the parents for being the scum of the earth.

I think I would've instinctively jumped in, and halfway down realize that we were both dead.  

From what I can remember about gorillas, no I don't think that would be the case.  Male gorillas are famous for bluff charging, whcih would scare the crap out of people, but as long as you act submissive, they shouldn't attack ... Chimpanzees are actually far more dangerous despite being.  

The problem would be getting the gorilla away from the child ... as I'm sure zoo officials tried. 

Here's an interesting incident where a gorilla actually got out of the cage and attacked a woman she suffered serious injuries but survived Interestingly the Dutch authorities didn't shoot the gorilal with bullets, but with tranq darts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokito_(gorilla)

You are missing group 3.

Peta and their ilk.

I assume that's me, because I can't for the life of me understand how breeding an intelligent animal, to live it's entire life in a cage, being gawked at by people, is anything but cruel.

I don't even like Peta. ****ing hate Peta actually.

THIS whole issue is one of the reasons I refuse to take students on field trips. I usually teach World history but because a teacher left in the middle of the year, they moved me to US history and I was supposed to take the students on a field trip to DC.

NOPE.

No way.

No how.

I know how the kids act on a daily basis and I'm talking about 17 year old kids.

4 year olds have no sense.  

I just remember that time I was at the Caps game and an entire middle school-ish class was there AT THE GAME. They had taken a field trip there. Was hilarious and kind of cool at the same time. Imagine the logistics that have to go into planning that 

I just remember that time I was at the Caps game and an entire middle school-ish class was there AT THE GAME. They had taken a field trip there. Was hilarious and kind of cool at the same time. Imagine the logistics that have to go into planning that

I went to a game with a 4th grade class from my school 9 years ago.

I bet we see a lot more kids on leashes.

Took my stepdaughter to Six Flags when she was 16...we weren't married yet, and she was already wild beyond belief...conversation went like this:

If you won't buy a retractable leash, I absolutely WILL NOT look for her if she decides to wander. 

Took my stepdaughter to Six Flags when she was 16...we weren't married yet, and she was already wild beyond belief...conversation went like this:

If you won't buy a retractable leash, I absolutely WILL NOT look for her if she decides to wander. 

16? If your kid is wild beyond belief at that age, getting separated at Six Flags is the least of your worries.

Archived