Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Gorilla" thread...

codeorama

I always love how when something crazy happens, the reaction on here is to make the state of residence a big factor unless it's new York, California or the snobby parr of va.

Go home son.  You done left your corn squeezins unguarded.   

Completely irrelevant, but not surprising considering how the media operates. 

Irrelevant and downright mean.   In other words, typical.

The gorilla was killed because of white privilege- black lives matter.

Gotta be the onion.... Right?

No, I think its more or less a "news" site reporting statements from random people on twitter and facebook.  So it's completely meaningless unless you're one of those people who care what random idiots on twitter and facebook say.  But hey, that's news today, and proves my gift for predicting the future.

I think the major flaw, is what's risked for the entertainment aspect, which I would assume does most of the funding.

I don't see zoos as entertainment as much as I see them as educational. 

Aquariums and such...sure. Sometimes. 

Yet, I agree pretty much with what Jumbo posted. 

I don't see zoos as entertainment as much as I see them as educational.

Aquariums and such...sure. Sometimes.

Yet, I agree pretty much with what Jumbo posted.

I don't think the value of being able to see a living creature in an unnatural setting, in a cage, is very educational. It's purely entertainment.

"Look kids, there's an endangered species, bred to captivity, alone in a fake setting that it's never allowed to leave". Where's the education? Why is that an education?

If the welfare of the animal were the primary consideration, along with education, which I do think is important, they wouldn't be breeding them for captivity.

The gorilla was killed because of white privilege- black lives matter.

Gotta be the onion.... Right?

guy I'm working with right now, black guy from NY. He says "you hear about that gorilla? Sad. I assumed it was a white kid, cause y'all do **** like that. Hope that doesn't sound racist, but now that I know it was us, I'm kinda pissed" ols

kb,

Ask why they are bred for captivity ? 

Ask why they can not be released back into their natural habitats ? 

You know these answers, and neither is for entertainment. 

I'm kinda curious here... How much does the situation change if it was a drunken frat-boy who stumbled into the Gorilla habitat instead of a toddler?

You know the answer to that also. It would be essentially a non-story. 

I don't know why they're bred for captivity. I'll assume because they're endangered, but being the last gorilla, but living your entire life in a cage, isn't preservation, it's sad and cruel.

There are sanctuaries and ways to release animals back to their natural habitat. That a falling myth. It's one of the reasons SeaWorld was able to keep the orcas for so long, until they've seen them free growing old and creating families.

I'm kinda curious here... How much does the situation change if it was a drunken frat-boy who stumbled into the Gorilla habitat instead of a toddler?

None in my eye, because I wouldn't let the gorilla kill him either.

Outside looking in, this looks like a kid almost getting killed being a kid by a gorilla being a gorilla at the wrong damn time.  I've only seen snip-its of convo about what can be done to keep any human from falling into that situation again. 

No, I think its more or less a "news" site reporting statements from random people on twitter and facebook. So it's completely meaningless unless you're one of those people who care what random idiots on twitter and facebook say. But hey, that's news today, and proves my gift for predicting the future.

Everyone uses random angry people now. Bernie got killed over angry voicemail and tweets following the Nevada debacle. No one cares that the reported violence never happened, because angry random people said angry stuff. If you are on the same side as THEM, you must be just like them and just as crazy.

These internet racists are very useful.

How do you guys feel about the dad's criminal history being posted online? Relevant or irrelevant?

Dangerous and unnecessary bullying by the media that is all too happy to give an angry mob a target in exchange for ad revenue.

I don't know why they're bred for captivity. I'll assume because they're endangered, but being the last gorilla, but living your entire life in a cage, isn't preservation, it's sad and cruel.

There are sanctuaries and ways to release animals back to their natural habitat. That a falling myth. It's one of the reasons SeaWorld was able to keep the orcas for so long, until they've seen them free growing old and creating families.

Tricky question then. Why should we bother saving endangered animals then ? 

Sea World assimilated those animals. Completely different overall environment also. Jungle animals and sea animals are not the same. 

Tricky question then. Why should we bother saving endangered animals then ?

Sea World assimilated those animals. Completely different overall environment also. Jungle animals and sea animals are not the same.

I understand they're different, but jungle animals are reassimilated all the time.

I think we should save endangered animals, but not to live artificially. I think the main goal should be assimilation to nature.

This is where I go on and on about what we're doing to reduce their natural habitat.

I do think it's more important to preserve their natural habitat and let the population naturally regrow.

Not to mention habitats size vs animal size are way different when compared to SeaWorld.

if you could never leave a 10,000 square foot mansion, wouldn't it begin to feel like a prison?

So you agree with survival of the fittest ? 

Perhaps these animals are not meant to survive ? 

Perhaps some of them should have been extinct. 

Many, if not most of these animals can not survive in their natural habitat after being saved, so all we do (or at least try to do) is try to breed them to further their existence at all.

You have to accept both sides of this situation/reality.

Is the frat boy white or black?

Well he's probably not from Lambda Lambda Lambda, if you know what I mean ;)

Seriously, though, from a take-action stand point, do you think they might've gone tranq first or still straight to the lead?

So you agree with survival of the fittest ?

Perhaps these animals are not meant to survive ?

Perhaps some of them should have been extinct.

Many, if not most of these animals can not survive in their natural habitat after being saved, so all we do (or at least try to do) is try to breed them to further their existence at all.

You have to accept both sides of this situation/reality.

How much of that is because of our encroachment into their habitat and ruining the ecosystem to which they'd adapted?

Well he's probably not from Lambda Lambda Lambda, if you know what I mean ;)

Seriously, though, from a take-action stand point, do you think they might've gone tranq first or still straight to the lead?

From what i read, tranq takes 10 minutes or so and on that ten minutes the potential to go ape **** is very high.

No problem, it's the worst kept secret in NoVA. Glad your daughter liked it and I'm always amazed by how much food kids can put away.

You make Peruvian chicken at home? I'm impressed.

He's from Tennessee, he actually just grabs it at KFC on the way home.

That is a great argument since I am the exact same thing as an ape. By the way, go let that potted plant out to be free!

humans are pretty close to apes.

But if you actually think animals, especially some of the most intelligent are closer to plants than people, then there is no possible way to communicate to you why your comment is idiotic.

Archived