Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Skip Bayless Is Leaving ESPN For Fox Sports.

DM72

I can't say anything about Skip Bayless that hasn't already been said.  I've always wondered if he really believes the stuff he's saying.  I remember he was writing columns for the old espn.com Page 2 and the opinions and "analysis" were just as bad.

Here's also hoping that espn is on the downward spiral, too.  

I like Cowherd a lot but I'm not sure what the market is going to be for Skip. So we just stick him on another show where he spouts off radical opinions with flaky conviction?

Wow you shouldn't have admitted to that.

Anyway, people actually watch ESPN? Seriously, my world would be completely fine if it ceased to exist.

Why is Cowherd racist? Because of what he said about John Wall?

Cowherd is racist because he makes generalizations about people he knows very little about, like at the time with his take on John Wall, based on unsubstantiated racial stereotypes. He said John Wall wasn't a good leader not just because he did the dougie in his NBA debut, but because he didn't have a father in his home growing up. Not only is that something he didn't have actual knowledge of, it's disrespectful to Wall and inaccurate. He wouldn't have said that about a white basketball player. In fact, he's never used the "no dad in the home" argument for any sports athlete that wasn't black. And I'm sure there are white athletes who were raised in single family homes, but as far as Colin is concerned, it's only black people. 

For someone who talks for a living on radio, I find his willingness to make bold statements about stuff he has no knowledge of ridiculous. And this goes into the Sean Taylor statements. He had no idea what happened that night in his home, but apparently it had to be Sean's own fault that burglars broke into his home and shot him. He waited all of one full day after his death to ridicule a dead guy. A vague ridiculing that doesn't even actually have a point, other then "Sean made mistakes in the past, I don't know why he was killed, but my ignorant ass take is he had it coming." 

There is nothing talented about that guy. You can throw a rock and hit a sports fan with the same prejudices, stupid enough to say them out loud, but probably wouldn't repeat himself nearly as often. 

I am Colin Cowherd and I am so happy that little ants with names like "Gamebreaker" and "TryTheBeal" go out of their way to publicize me on tbe Internet. Messageboard guy doesn't realize that bad publicity is good publicity.

When I worked in Vegas I worked briefly for a program director named Scott Hardright. He gave me two pieces of advice. First, change your name - because I went by my full name of Colin Masterson III which is a mouthful, Cowherd just rolls off tbe tongue. And any publicity is good publicity.

Internet boy is just jealous that I have a national following, TV shows and more successful than him. I enjoy reading DC Sports guy defend John Wall... John Wall has won nothing and is such a great leader that he can't even get his team into the playoffs. He has done nothing to proove me wrong. In a couple of years - you watch - that is going to be Bradley Beal's team. Having come from a 2 parent home, he will have the emotional stability and maturity that John Wall lacks. John Wall is just the point guard version of Carmelo Anthony....

Now let's talk some more about Tom Brady...

Cowherd is racist because he makes generalizations about people he knows very little about, like at the time with his take on John Wall, based on unsubstantiated racial stereotypes. He said John Wall wasn't a good leader not just because he did the dougie in his NBA debut, but because he didn't have a father in his home growing up. Not only is that something he didn't have actual knowledge of, it's disrespectful to Wall and inaccurate. He wouldn't have said that about a white basketball player. In fact, he's never used the "no dad in the home" argument for any sports athlete that wasn't black. And I'm sure there are white athletes who were raised in single family homes, but as far as Colin is concerned, it's only black people. 

not a fan of cowherd at all, to be clear. statistically, 3 out of 4 black kids are being raised in a one parent household (apparently).

still, i think its a little dumb to just assume this about wall. 

I actually kinda like Skip. He's essentially playing a wrestling heel lol.

I feel like Cowherd is 110% himself

Didn't he say something crazy about Sean Taylor too?

I would go the other way. I think Cowherd is the one playing the heel. He basically admits it. I remember him saying early in his stint at ESPN that you have to make people love you or hate you. And like a heel, he chooses the latter cuz it's more fun.

I think Skip is weirdly sincere, most of the time. He just exaggerates his points for effect.

Wow you shouldn't have admitted to that.

Anyway, people actually watch ESPN? Seriously, my world would be completely fine if it ceased to exist.

I dont get the hate people have for ESPN. We love sports, they show sports, what's the problem?

I dont get the hate people have for ESPN. We love sports, they show sports, what's the problem?

I have to use it to keep the owners of my restaurant from watching Reba, Ellen, etc. Swear to God.

I have to repeatedly remind them that the bar area isn't their "little cozy place". God Bless BSPN.

There has been a mass exodus of ESPN either firing or employees leaving revently. Not just random employees some of their biggest faces.

Simmons, Cowherd, Tirico, Skip, Olberman, Dan Patrick (older but still) feel like there's a few a missed in there too.

Most of 'em are the outspoken, expensive types. Tirico was probably the only one that flew under the radar.

Everyone of those people should thank their lucky stars they got to work at ESPN. But ESPN has no problem making new stars or buying ones from somewhere else. They'll find another Bill Simmons or Colin Cowherd and make them a star. The machine keeps on.

Can't hate on the guy for leaving ESPN for more money. He'll probably get more control too at whatever he does at Fox.

Certainly, makes all the sense in the world. The only thing is, FS1 is not doing so great. Nobody really watches it.

Had no idea Tirico was leaving. The guy just oozes class.

Neither did I.  To me this is the real news.  I couldn't care less about Bayless or Cowherd.

Apparently Sean McDonough will replace Tirico on MNF.

I like Cowherd a lot but I'm not sure what the market is going to be for Skip. So we just stick him on another show where he spouts off radical opinions with flaky conviction?

Hey, he'll be at Fox, he can always move from sports to the news room and fit right in.

Had no idea Tirico was leaving. The guy just oozes class.

I read the bio of ESPN, which was exceedingly boring given the potential,, and it did lay out some dirty laundry... first among them being that Tirico is the all time ESPN champion of sexual harassment complaints.

~Bang

I read the bio of ESPN, which was exceedingly boring given the potential,, and it did lay out some dirty laundry... first among them being that Tirico is the all time ESPN champion of sexual harassment complaints.

~Bang

Yeah, I had heard that too that he's got a few skeletons in his closet.

~Bang

Lol when I saw his post I was getting ready to post that. Dude is a creepy stalker.

So much class

Well, my favorite ESPN story of all was the one of the poor woman with a spastic colon who worked for them, and when her Dr. retired she found herself short of medicine, and had taken to using office trash cans when the colonic emergency would arise...

they caught her on video.

If you want to hear us laugh about it on the Bang Radio Hour..  we talked about it around 5 or 6 years ago.

http://www.bangcartoon.com/podcasts/radiohour/bangcast171.mp3

It's the second segment, starts about 4 minutes in. This show is completely unsafe for work, totally un-PC, completely juvenile, and, in my memory, a hell of a lot of fun.

(This is actually a "best of" edition.. sort of ran a theme.. I don't know,, my partner put it together. We also discuss a Ugandan preacher trying to convince everyone homosexuality is deviant and should be illegal.. complete with diagrams and pictures with circles and arrows.,,  and a phone call to figure skater Johnny Weir during the Olympics he skated in. among other things.)

~Bang

The same reason I don't watch and largely abhor Fox News/MSNBC/etc. It's exactly the same thing. It's not journalism. The information is crap. ESPN sold its soul long ago now. It's fake. It's low brow. It appeals to the lowest common denominator. And the biggest sin of all: it's just lame now. And it's a shame because it wasn't always like that.

Archived