Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Skip Bayless Is Leaving ESPN For Fox Sports.

DM72

http://deadspin.com/source-skip-bayless-is-leaving-espn-for-fox-sports-1773145374

Well, a lot of you want ESPN First Take to go away, the first shoe has dropped. I actually thought Stephen A would be the one to leave as he has gotten to big for the show. But this is just my opinion, Skip was probably getting tired of Stephen A not being as devoted to the show as he was.

The final straw with Cowherd is his bizarre obsession with assassinating John Wall's character. It's so weird.

What bugs me is that Cowherd's hot takes are so often nudge nudge wink wink borderline racist.  

Bayless is just a moronic bombthrower.    

I actually kinda like Skip. He's essentially playing a wrestling heel lol.

I feel like Cowherd is 110% himself

Didn't he say something crazy about Sean Taylor too?

Sure.   And plenty more.  He's that irritating frat boy who says borderline racist stuff then says "whoh, I was just kidding lighten up this country is so PC amirite...." 

http://deadspin.com/remember-all-those-other-times-colin-cowherd-said-racis-1720163539

I'm not going to hate somebody in that poisiton simply because of their stance on sports. That's why I don't care about what he says about Wall or Taylor.

I don't think at the time of the initial Shooting, what he said about Taylor was that out of line anyway considering the mainstream perception of him.

I just think he is real and himself and he says things that make me think about different perspectives.

Compare that to Skip who comes across as completely fake and plays the contrarian character simply for ratings which includes truly ridiculous "opinions" thst you know he himself doesn't believe

I think it should be a pre-requisite that you have to be right at least once a year to be considered to give 'takes' on anything... unless your show is called "contrived know-nothing bull****"

Skip thought that Teddy Bridgewater would far outdistance Cam Newton and be a force in the league for a decade..   he thought that Johnny Manziell should have been taken by the Texans at number 16 last year or he would "haunt them for years"... he thought RG3 would be the best QB in the league by now and that the Colts made a dreadful mistake with Andrew Luck..  he is wrong SO often that you could probably make a good living betting directly against anything he proclaims.

He's comic relief on the Bang Radio Hour...  or, i should say, he used to be..  him being dead wrong stopped being funny a while ago.

Skip is proof that a good agent can get you gigs no matter if you have a clue or not.

And he doesn't. Ever.

~Bang

I just think he is real and himself and he says things that make me think about different perspectives.

I rarely ever disagree with you about anything, but man, I think you're way off here.  Colin is a Grade A, Level 1 d-bag.  Period.

There's nothing insightful about his psychobabble that sparks deep thought.  He gets off on being an asshole.

Yikes yea I dunno that sounds like a mistake for him if he wants his credibility intact, which wasn't much already of course.

I feel like one of the main qualities to having Skip with his show First take at all was that he was ESPN's example of a literal old white guy that does his best to be open and malleable to our rapidly changing country and trying to apply it on the show as transparently as possible with the aid of Stephen A explaining things to him, and as such, the audience, on air.  Like, all the talk and topics were almost window dressing for him and Stephen A to occasionally get into "real" stuff.  And sure, I bet alot of Skip providing Stephen A and anyone else to teach him on his TV platform playing the role of "heel" or the "teach me I'm dumb but willing to learn" is alot of self back patting, but Skip still made a commitment to appear as a fair platform far before the current era, which is mainly why I've always liked the show as a whole past the usual "hot takes" - because essentially I think Skip seems like a general "good" person and seems to have genuine approval from guys like Stephen A.   I like smith too and his contributions to the show but he's a separate discussion for when we find out his fate of course.  I know Stephen A always says on air that he wouldn't be there unless Skip was on because it wouldn't be the same but I guess we will start hearing things in the near future. 

First Take/Cold pizza has been around since the early 2000s, and sports media and media in general didn't seem to take major major strides in equality until somewhat recently.  Again, contextually, we have to also keep in mind that Disney which then means ABC, and then ESPN, are all under the Disney umbrella, and they are clearly the leaders in trying to facilitate equality in all forms as fast as possible, meaning that, maybe Skip is just playing company man and doesn't truly agree with the then "role" he might be playing on t.v., but again, I don't suspect that because Skip has been at this long before this track had really started.  I also don't want to push this "major gem in the world of equality" thing too far because I'm not saying that it's perfect either, I'm just saying they were noticeably more in front with talking social issues than other places found on ESPN meaning it could be part of Skip's character to want to try to use this in a positive way over at Fox.  And I don't want to make it sound like Skip is the one saying these great things, it's more the system of him not censoring whoever comes on about issues that they themselves would want to speak on, as well as when he does add his input to things he doesn't normally say things, regarding social discussion in particular, that raises my eyebrow very often.  So it's more a passive contribution, but I think that errs on the side of "positive" in the grand spectrum of things, even if it's still near the center.

Now, I get it that Skip is not changing the world on his own and in some ways may hurt it more than help it (probably not but I'm not really sure), but it feels like given FOX's current crop of essentially ESPN castoffs this really sounds like a mistake given the reasonings behind most of the rest of these ESPN people being cast off in the first place.  And of course, "FOX" anything is going to have it's associations with things.

Now, if Skip is going to Fox to try to bring what I suspect are his "core values" and really push for Fox to be taken as seriously from a social perspective as Disney/ABC/ESPN is, then this could be a spectacular career move.  I know he's just one person but he's a big enough name in sports where he could shake the foundation of Fox Sports which isn't so vast fairly easily.  So, if he is going to go there and just have some bad cushy talk show where he doesn't do anything of value with it, then we will know pretty fast just how good of a move it was for both Skip and ESPN.  

What I'm thinking is, a talk show with him and Katie Nolan could be big ratings and socially constructive - if done right - since Nolan is already a large figure in sports talk, with hopefully 1-2 other people depending on the format. I am speculating on Skip's true mission and certainly am giving him the benefit of the doubt early, but it won't take very long to figure out Skip's true colors in terms of what he wants his ideal show to be like in a different environment, since he's pretty much going to be able to do whatever he wants when he first gets there.

It's also hard to speculate on much of this because we really don't know if there was anything behind the scenes that led to this other than purely money too.  

I have no problem with hot takes and bomb throwing. No sports fan should. Wild theories are all part of the magic and mystery that leads grown men obsess over other men playing games. Skip is overly serious and too often wrong, which makes his rambling somewhat like sitting next to the crazy guy on the bus.

I used to listen to Cowherd driving to work in the morning. What used to bug me is that his segments consisted of him saying the same thing over and over. Just repeating the same point for 15 minutes. And he talked about Tim Tebow not being a good QB at least 3 times a week. He has decent sports knowledge though.

Can't say I know much about Skip Bayless cuz I don't watch that show often.

I have no problem with hot takes and bomb throwing. No sports fan should. Wild theories are all part of the magic and mystery that leads grown men obsess over other men playing games. Skip is overly serious and too often wrong, which makes his rambling somewhat like sitting next to the crazy guy on the bus.

Fair point, but I find both of them (and most of sports media) intolerable. I can't remember the last time I watched ESPN or CSN. There's just not much point when the dialogue is less informative than the average sports podcast.

Archived