Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYMAG: The Republican Party Must Answer for What It Did to Kansas and Louisiana

No Excuses

Welfare queens? All of NOVAs money is deficit Federal spending...all of it. So who's the real welfare queen?

The welfare queens are the "conservative" house delegates who constantly take money from region that is badly needed for infrastructure and build garbage in Lebanon VA.

One of those delegates flat told me NOVA was a "tax dollar exporter" 

I'm enjoying the list of "MOST LIBERAL BLUE STATES"..half of whom have Republican Governors.

#50 ILLINOIS -  Bruce Rauner(Republican) ​                     

#49 NEW JERSEY          - Chris Christi (Republican)

#48 MASSACHUSETTS - Charlie Baker(Republican)

#47 CONNECTICUT -

#46 NEW YORK

#44 CALIFORNIA

#42 MAINE - Paul LePage(Republican)

#40 HAWAII

#39 VERMONT

#38 RHODE ISLAND

#37 MARYLAND  - Larry Hogan (Republican)

I wonder what the legislatures look like in these states and which folks have had the most influence in recent years/decades.

Just out of curiosity, anybody know how the voters of KS and LA feel about the results of their experiments?

Do THEY think they got screwed by Republican Economics?

Brownback has an approval rating of 26% in Kansas. But again he was re elected even as the Kansas economy tanked.

http://mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings

I'd rather be poor here than middle class in NJ ...or God forbid Illinois.

(and am poor here  :) )

the metrics for welfare dependent could use adjusting

I'm upper middle class here and was middle class in Northern Virginia.

If the "blue" states could figure out how to fix their insane housing markets, it wouldn't even be a contest. The advantage the South has is housing and weather. (Which are pretty big advantages in all fairness). And - you know - the fact that we have a large pool of borderline slave labor here.

Texas' miracle economy is discovering that the miracle was $3.50 gas.

KS House legislative got a larger Republican majority. However Brownback was elected in a 49-46 election, instead of a 63-32 election.

LA governor flipped to a Democrat -- election occurred in 2015.

In a November 2015 poll Brownback and Jindal had the lowest approval ratings for governor. Yet it appears voters didnt punish the legislative bodies...

KS House legislative got a larger Republican majority. However Brownback was elected in a 49-46 election, instead of a 63-32 election.

LA governor flipped to a Democrat -- election occurred in 2015.

In a November 2015 poll Brownback and Jindal had the lowest approval ratings for governor. Yet it appears voters didnt punish the legislative bodies...

I'm upper middle class here and was middle class in Northern Virginia.

If the "blue" states could figure out how to fix their insane housing markets, it wouldn't even be a contest. The advantage the South has is housing and weather. (Which are pretty big advantages in all fairness). And - you know - the fact that we have a large pool of borderline slave labor here.

Texas' miracle economy is discovering that the miracle was $3.50 gas.

I think I'm indentured servant class , but with a paid off home, business and property and too many vehicles.

housing is easy to fix if ya ain't trying to keep out the undesirables  :P

Texas manages whatever the gas price is....the >40 stuff does crimp some styles though

When are the Dems gonna answer for the bankruptcies ad poor fiscal policy?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/08/dirty-dozen-liberal-blue-states-going-broke/

In fact, 11 of the 14 least fiscally solvent states are also on the list of the “dirty dozen” most liberal blue states. In descending order of fiscal irresponsibility, from 50th to 37th, here’s the list of fiscal shame:

#50 ILLINOIS

#49 NEW JERSEY

#48 MASSACHUSETTS

#47 CONNECTICUT

#46 NEW YORK

#44 CALIFORNIA

#42 MAINE

#40 HAWAII

#39 VERMONT

#38 RHODE ISLAND

#37 MARYLAND

Folk are fleeing them like rats on a sinking ship

http://dailysignal.com/2015/09/04/study-taxpayers-are-leaving-democrat-run-states-for-states-controlled-by-republicans/

ssshhhhh, stop with the facts.  Much better to live in the hysteria of MSNBC and Huff_Post.

Odd the piece didn't mention the 2 states in the OP KA and LA.  Both are essentially flat in immigration.

And the population in CA is growing nicely.

Cherry pick much?

https://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=kf7tgg1uo9ude_&met_y=population&idim=state:36000:06000&hl=en&dl=en#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=population&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=country&idim=state:36000:06000:48000:20000:22000&ifdim=country&hl=en_US&dl=en&ind=false

Maybe it has to do with something more then the the type of governor.

I managed to escape the PRNJ, but have had a helluva time trying to sell my house because people are leaving the state in droves. I finally accepted an offer that was 60k below what I owed because I can't afford to keep paying 15.5k a year on a home I don't even live in.

People are not leaving NJ in droves.  The population in NJ is growing at a healthy rate.  There has been a change in the where NJ is growing, especially in the north.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/njs_population_undergoing_seismic_shift_new_data_show.html

The welfare queens are the "conservative" house delegates who constantly take money from region that is badly needed for infrastructure and build garbage in Lebanon VA.

IIRC we get 10¢ back on every tax dollar we send to Richmond. Some other fun stats are the traffic numbers here vs downstate and the money spent on transportation in both. But I'm sure Richmond is going to need their six lane highways someday so hey, building for the future.

NOVA statehood please.

IIRC we get 10¢ back on every tax dollar we send to Richmond. Some other fun stats are the traffic numbers here vs downstate and the money spent on transportation in both. But I'm sure Richmond is going to need their six lane highways someday so hey, building for the future.

NOVA statehood please.

83...?

Get your money right and head South, young man. Grab a 6-laner and follow the signs to Richmond.

Nevermind....looks like twa already got beat up for posting that absurd list, so no sense beating a dead horse on that one.

The really funny part was the guy posting the "Hell, yeah!" post, after twa got beat up for posting it. 

So do you deniers reject those states are blue or the fiscal ranking? 

In new research for the Mercatus Center at George Mason University, Senior Research Fellow Eileen Norcross ranks each US state’s financial health based on short- and long-term debt and other key fiscal obligations, including unfunded pensions and health care benefits. The study, which builds on previous Mercatus research about state fiscal conditions, provides information from the states’ audited financial reports in an easily accessible format, presenting an accurate snapshot of each state’s fiscal health.

no wonder ya prefer to talk about Kansas and Louisiana    :P 

Well, the new Dem governor in LA did a televised address to the state, telling the public just how bad the situation is.  He concluded with a request for prayers for the state.  That tells me that the problems are HUGE.

(Rachel covered this about a week ago...but she  included Michigan, where Republican conservatism has actually cost lives in Flint.)

So do you deniers reject those states are blue or the fiscal ranking?

In new research for the Mercatus Center at George Mason University, Senior Research Fellow Eileen Norcross ranks each US state’s financial health based on short- and long-term debt and other key fiscal obligations, including unfunded pensions and health care benefits. The study, which builds on previous Mercatus research about state fiscal conditions, provides information from the states’ audited financial reports in an easily accessible format, presenting an accurate snapshot of each state’s fiscal health.

no wonder ya prefer to talk about Kansas and Louisiana :P

Your "fiscal rankings" sure APPEAR, from the description which you posted, to be a nebulous formula which assigns a number to each state, based on how closely said state complies with conservative policy. And what do you know, Republican states score better.

This thread is about ACTUAL results.

They all look pretty blue to me and I've lived in Blue. 

btw Burgold

most welfare recipients are Dems

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/12/the-politics-and-demographics-of-food-stamp-recipients/

2 times the number on food stamps

Keep reading:

"But when the political lens shifts from partisanship to ideology, the participation gap vanishes. Self-described political conservatives were no more likely than liberals or moderates to have received food stamps (17% for each group), according to the survey."

Party labels are funny through out much of the south still.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascension_Parish,_Louisiana

For example, in Ascension Parish LA, there are more registered Democrats than Republican, but they are voting for Republicans. They have a state legislator that is a Republican and has even run unopposed even though in theory based on voter registrations a Democrat should do really well.

And voted for McCain 67% to 31%.

Not sure what to tell you.  I'm from NOVA and live in Hampton Roads.  Its not our fault some of the highest median income counties in the country are at the top of the state.  The seven cities don't really look out for each other individually, and that's why it feels like a lot of the cities are either feast or famine.  Fairfax alone is twice the size of Virginia Beach, and Va beach could care less about Portsmouth or Newport News.  You got people there with influence that don't want to risk people in Norfolk taking a light rail all the way to the oceanfront because of "undesirables" (term that's been thrown around down here on the local news and the Pilot).

The area has been trying to avoid additional Federal aid (I feel its political posturing more then anything else down here), and that's a huge reason we have the tolls down here (which I saw an article the other day mentioning early stage planning to expand tolls to the remaining major bridges and tunnels in HR to help pay for our infrastructure needs).  Ya'll got the silver line and purple line coming, and we can't even get the light rail out of Norfolk, so like I'm said, I don't know what to tell you. 

There's no infrastructure fairy.

Gee Whiz..   man why don't you just present your points without all the personal insults.    TWA's been posting on here a lot longer than you have and nobody would call him unknowledgeable.   We would call him opinionated but so are we all.    Just cool it with the character assassination.  it's boring, mean spirited, and really inhibits people from exchanging their ideas.

Derailing threads by shifting the conversation isn't contributing. Derailing them with crap and half assed information is even worse.

Welfare queens? All of NOVAs money is deficit Federal spending...all of it. So who's the real welfare queen?

Preach. Seriously, the self righteousness of Northern Virginians acting like they've actually done anything other than suck the federal tit makes me want to puke

Preach. Seriously, the self righteousness of Northern Virginians acting like they've actually done anything other than suck the federal tit makes me want to puke

Yeah, the good ol' Beltway Bandits defining NOVA since the '60s. One gets bought & another pops up in it's place. 

Archived