Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: Redskins suing HB Blades for $40K overpayment

MarkB452

damn Red...i know you cant tell us why but I sho am curious...

Don't checks have to be cashed within a certain time frame? and is there no statute of limitations for clerical errors? two years seems an awfully long time...but I have no clue..

6 months typically is my experience. They deposited in the account and also sent hard checks. Dated Dec2015. Clerical error.

Of course the money should have been returned legally. But the examples given in this thread were not the same. The guy had just been fired, his dream since he was 6 looks to be gone. Can you really blame the player? Just seems petty to try to get it back, as posted there is not a chance he has it. And what about the FICA etc deductions? He obviously didn't clear all 40 grand. Just how much would he be obligated to return?

You are either a person with integrity or not. You don't get to pick and choose when. So yes, I can blame the player.

Of course the money should have been returned legally. But the examples given in this thread were not the same. The guy had just been fired, his dream since he was 6 looks to be gone. Can you really blame the player? Just seems petty to try to get it back, as posted there is not a chance he has it. And what about the FICA etc deductions? He obviously didn't clear all 40 grand. Just how much would he be obligated to return?

I'm wondering if they gave him a W2 with the salary on it or not...also, did he report this as income on his taxes?

I would assume so for both cases.  If he gives the money back, he would probably need to file amended returns for the year in question.

For those wondering if he has the money lying around, I think he had a father and uncle (or two uncles) that both played in the NFL as well.  I don't think he came from poverty.  I'm not saying he spent wisely or is swimming in cash, but I doubt he's too badly off.

Imagine it the other way around...

Blades realizes a year or two after the fact that the Redskins mistakenly forgot to send him a check for $40,000. (He had his own money men who made the mistake)

He goes to the Redskins: "Hey, remember a few years ago when you released me? Turns out you missed a check to me for $40,000" and hands them the proof. The Skins say they're not gonna pay and don't even work out a payment plan of any kind (or Blades refuses to accept one). A year or so later Blades sues the organization.

Does that effect anyone's stance on the matter?...if so, ask yourself why.

Absolutely bizarre responses in this thread.

$40k could potentially be the entire salary of a support personnel for the Redskins. If your employer made a mistake and gave someone an extra $40k, you don't think they'd come after you for it? What planet do you all live on?

Just because Snyder has a lot of money, and every player is making six figures+, shouldn't factor into this at all. I'd be willing to bet a significant portion of the posters here work for CEO's that have the equivalent of Snyder, and organizations that bring in similar annual revenue.

When I was 19 my employer accidentally direct deposited $500 more into my account than they were supposed to.

Needless to say I spent that as quickly as I could and tried the "how TF is that my fault, I thought it was a bonus" routine.

Got put on a payment plan quick to get it back to them smh.

I think the Redskins should let this go. How does this even happen and does it Impact the cap? I mean hypothetically, here Cousins, sign this $15mil a sesson contract, there will

Be a clerical Error at the end of each year where $3mil will disappear off the books

Agreed. I understand the Redskins' position and they are entitled to get the money back, but it's a bad look. Especially since its Dan Snyder.

Why is it a bad look? They over paid an employee. They offered a payment plan to repay and he flat out refused. I see no problem with them going after him at all.

I think this is another case where if it were a ****ing "class organization" like the "Giants" this wouldn't have been reported in the same way.  People love to tee off on our team so it's really no surprise.

Not that Marcellus Wiley is an expert on economics (maybe he is actually since he's ivy league) but he was going into the whole auditing/tax thing as to why it's ridiculous for people to question the team wanting to get the money back, so if there's a question of finances in the whole thing at all, I think "bad look" really is the best way to describe it.

Because, sure it looks and sounds bad but in reality has to be done either way. 

Now, if there was any sort of way to avoid actual monetary issues legally, I think the redskins should have just bit the bullet and ate it.  Perhaps ask for 5k back just as an acknowledgement from Blades that he knows he got a sweet bonus.  Because you have to think of it this way.

Blades knew he got 40k more somehow, and presumably his agent, but never said anything from day 1?  See, now that's a bad look too, but that will never be the angle obviously.

Archived