Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: Redskins suing HB Blades for $40K overpayment

MarkB452

If my employer overpaid me, I would expect to have to reimburse them.

This.

If someone sends me a duplicate check I call them and arrange to return it. I've done just that. If you keep it and cash it don't be surprised when they call and ask for it back.

Damn, he wasn't even with he team when he got the check according to to PFT, then he told the Redskins he wasn't giving it back. Sounds like they tried to reach out to him first, which is what I was hoping for. I'm not feeling the PR hit no matter how right we are. This is a billion dollar franchise hunting down a career backup for $40K. Really?

Eat that **** and don't let it happen again. Is the clerk still employed?

I'm not sure why some people think it's okay for someone to take money that is not theirs and refuse to give it back when they are asked to do so.  Maybe some people don't understand that:

A.  this isn't a Redskins' thing.  Clerical issues with payroll happen at every level of business all the time.

B.  this isn't a Dan Snyder has billions, so why is he being petty thing.  This isn't coming from Dan's personal account.  This is a business account and transaction, which means that there is a lot of                              paper trail issues to be handled here, including legal documentation. See above.

C. this money will affect our cap because it came from our player personnel account, which is the account tied to our cap space and spending limitations.

D. the Redskins have been trying to get this money back for two years; they didn't just discover it now and run straight to court.  Blades has refused all of their requests, which has left them no other                            options.

E. Blades is trying to steal this money at this point.  Plain and simple.  He will have to pay it back after going to court, because he is 100% legally and morally in the wrong in this situation, and has no                            grounds to stand on to say otherwise.

I'm not sure why some people think it's okay for someone to take money that is not theirs and refuse to give it back when they are asked to do so.  Maybe some people don't understand that:

Edit...

D. the Redskins have been trying to get this money back for two years; they didn't just discover it now and run straight to court.  Blades has refused all of their requests, which has left them no other options.

E. Blades is trying to steal this money at this point.  Plain and simple.  He will have to pay it back after going to court, because he is 100% legally and morally in the wrong in this situation, and has no grounds to stand on to say otherwise.

First, I totally agree with your entire post. I think Item D is the one that many people do not know. It really should not matter, but for those thinking the Redskins just found this out and suddenly decided to sue the guy, that's just not true. They found this pretty quickly and have been trying to solve this including giving him payment options and even accepting less than the total $40k. He has totally ignored them. So yes, at this point it is stealing.

For those being cavalier with someone else's $40k what if it were your company?

A.  this isn't a Redskins' thing.  Clerical issues with payroll happen at every level of business all the time.

B.  this isn't a Dan Snyder has billions, so why is he being petty thing.  This isn't coming from Dan's personal account.  This is a business account and transaction, which means that there is a lot of                              paper trail issues to be handled here, including legal documentation. See above.

C. this money will affect our cap because it came from our player personnel account, which is the account tied to our cap space and spending limitations.

D. the Redskins have been trying to get this money back for two years; they didn't just discover it now and run straight to court.  Blades has refused all of their requests, which has left them no other                            options.

E. Blades is trying to steal this money at this point.  Plain and simple.  He will have to pay it back after going to court, because he is 100% legally and morally in the wrong in this situation, and has no                            grounds to stand on to say otherwise.

Who said it was OK to keep the money? The argument has been it just looks petty.

So if Blades got $40,000 we all understand after deductions he didn't clear anywhere near that much. So if they win is he required to pay back more than he cleared?

Who said it was OK to keep the money? The argument has been it just looks petty.

So if Blades got $40,000 we all understand after deductions he didn't clear anywhere near that much. So if they win is he required to pay back more than he cleared?

So, now it's petty to have someone give back what isn't rightfully theirs?   I'm sure if you accidentally paid a bill twice but the company you paid refused to reimburse you or credit your account you would be fine with that, because you don't want to seem petty, right?  See how crazy that sounds?

For all the reasons I stated, saying it is petty is just as asinine as saying he should just keep it.  He was given the opportunity to work out a deal and give back less money than he was given, but still refused (as if he has the legal or moral right to do so).  Now, the court will decide how much he has to return, and it will be based on what he actually netted, you know the amount that actually got put in his account.  But, now, due to his greed, he will undoubtedly have to pay court costs and other legal fees which is 1000% his fault for choosing not settling this matter and instead steal from the Redskins.  

At first I thought the skins were being petty, but I agree with you.  Blades is stealing at this point.

It's not even that - there are probably so many legal ramifications that come with a company just sending money to a former employee. I don't think that can happen without some sort of justification. So, it's probably more trouble than its worth for him to KEEP the money (from the Redskins' perspective). 

Archived