Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

It can’t be two bad movies in a row when this one sits at 58% critic / 86% audience and TLJ is 91% critic / 43% audience so it’s either this is the disappointment and bad movie or the other is. 

I think that just explains it pretty well. Fans don’t want great movies that are bold, challenging, original and exciting. They just want the same **** they like sold to them over and over. 

• Like 1

Maybe people just get lost within the experience of a particular movie and don't care about what it could've been. How many movies with sequels or in a series don't use the exact same formula. Good person or group faces bad person or group. Good gets knocked back and is reeling. Good regroups and battles back to defeat evil. This is what movies are. I'm not really sure what y'all are looking for or expected but sometimes it just seems like complaining for the sake of complaining. 

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Is that actually a serious question?

You are complaining that it was predictable and unimaginative. Did you really think that there was going to be some great deviation from what Star Wars has been in all the previous movies? 

2 hours ago, Mournblade said:

I see there a number of "fire Kennedy" posts in the thread now, and I have to agree. That's two back to back bad movies in a row in TLJ and ROS. And of course

she mishandled Solo as well. Clearly the only way right this fast sinking ship is to relieve Kennedy from her duties at the helm. 

She sucks at her job. If she was a man she would have been fired long ago like she dumped the Solo and ROS original directors. She wasn’t able to hold on to the Game of Thrones guys(maybe a bad fit to begin with anyway), changed course on the Rian Johnson trilogy, was stupid enough to think Solo would have its own trilogy and  oversaw a disconnected story arc in the last 3 movies. Iger should have dumped her ass and put Favreau and Fiege in charge after TFA. She’s the Bruce Allen of running a studio. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

23 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You are complaining that it was predictable and unimaginative. Did you really think that there was going to be some great deviation from what Star Wars has been in all the previous movies? 

I expected, or at least hoped for, a good movie. Like many of the other Star Wars movies.

Your view seems to be that they're all the same, or some such shallow take, which I'm not all that interested in debating. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Haha 1

Just got back from seeing it, in a half filled theatre.  It was a mess.  Everything felt shoe horned.  The Palpatine storyline was stupid.  They never should have brought him back.   The questions they did answer just lead to more questions.  Missed potential all around.  There are some interesting things introduced but they go no where. The stakes never felt high.   They definitely tried to give it an Infinity War/Endgame feel to which the trailers showed too much for it to have the same effect.  Glad this mess of a trilogy is over.  

Edited by drowland

LOL people get so butthurt. Today, i see A post by a fb friend, his post said “if you even post any spoilers to rise of skywalker, even after i see The movie I’m blocking you”. 

First off....why would you feel the need to block someone AFTER seeing the movie? If you’ve seen the movie, SPOILER ALERT, it’s not a spoiler alert, moron!!! 

I decided to be funny and say “someone dies”. He deleted my comment tonight, apparently because it ended up being true. Uh.....yeah, no ****. It’s star WARS. You have to be a moron to not know there will be a death 😂😂😂😂 i didnt even day who dies, and i even stated I’m not planning on seeing it 🤷🏻‍♂️ The idiocy of some people is plain laughable 😂😂😂😂

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was great and felt it was the most Star Wars-y experience of the trilogy. Much more adventurous and exciting with a sense of actually exploring.

As I've stated before, I hated TLJ as a film and this actually salvaged some of the mess. You actually see the damage TLJ did to the arc of the whole trilogy. Kudos to Abrams for being able to tie up the loose ends.

Worst Star Wars ever. Not! I enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker. A good way to end this trilogy and the series overall. I liked the fan service moments and was surprised at one big revelation.

Spoiler

Rey is a Paplpatine. Probably should've figured that one out.

For this trilogy, it ended the appropriate way.  Nothing will top the original trilogy.

Now it's time for Disney to take a break from movies before they do another trilogy or whatever.

I'll give Rise of Skywalker an A.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mournblade said:

(BTW, trivial point here, but wasn't Matt Smith (of "The Crown" fame) supposed to be in this movie? Didn't see him.) 

He was in the Tardis behind the scenes retconning everything. ;) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

She sucks at her job. If she was a man she would have been fired long ago like she dumped the Solo and ROS original directors. She wasn’t able to hold on to the Game of Thrones guys(maybe a bad fit to begin with anyway), changed course on the Rian Johnson trilogy, was stupid enough to think Solo would have its own trilogy and  oversaw a disconnected story arc in the last 3 movies. Iger should have dumped her ass and put Favreau and Fiege in charge after TFA. She’s the Bruce Allen of running a studio. 

So she gets criticized for both allowing Rian Johnson to make a movie people hated and also for stopping him from making an entire trilogy after the backlash. 

I don’t know how she is supposed to succeed. again, should have just repeated the OT since that’s all anybody seems to want from Star Wars; fan service and superheroes. 

the trilogy is still really good and I think the story and characters are consistent  throughout all the movies but it ends on a disappointingly safe fan service packed  movie that checks off every cliche Star Wars box from the OT meant to appease a bunch of cry babies whose childhoods were ruined because Luke tossed his lightsaber. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

So she gets criticized for both allowing Rian Johnson to make a movie people hated and also for stopping him from making an entire trilogy after the backlash. 

I don’t know how she is supposed to succeed. again, should have just repeated the OT since that’s all anybody seems to want from Star Wars; fan service and superheroes. 

the trilogy is still really good and I think the story and characters are consistent  throughout all the movies but it ends on a disappointingly safe fan service packed  movie that checks off every cliche Star Wars box from the OT meant to appease a bunch of cry babies whose childhoods were ruined because Luke tossed his lightsaber. 

She is not a visionary. She sucks. She wanted to make a Mary Sue hero so she could bask in the female love Hollywood would throw her way. It’s not about storytelling it’s about putting a lightsaber in a chick’s hand so she would be seen as a female producing bad ass and all the industry accolades and love that go with it in this era. That was her goal. If she had a vision she would stick to a plan. TFA got some criticism for being too repetitive so she swung the pendulum in the other direction then green lit a new trilogy because of the critical acclaim and suddenly after the fan backlash with TLJ and the Solo flop, she went crawling back to JJ to keep it safe. 

She should have never been head of lucasfilm. Her husband got her into the industry and she rode the coattails of some pretty big directors. She’s the token female studio head. That’s the reality. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

11 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I suspect she will be gone shortly. ROS is such a bad movie there will be few repeat viewings. Bad reviews and bad word of mouth will also hurt it. It should underperform at the box office, which should spell doom for Kennedy.  

50 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Saw it last night.  Didn’t like it much.  Didn’t hate it.  Felt very very safe.  Like crowdsourced fanfic.  Pretty to look at, and some solid lightsaber work, but nothing really thrilling or surprising.  C+.

I agree with this take. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. I didn't like the pacing of the first two acts. And the lightsaber fights were...okay, but didn't have that same affect on me that say Obi Wan vs Anakin had in E3 or even Yoda vs Dooku in E2(NOTHING beats Maul vs Qui Gon/Obi Wan in E1).

The entire movie just felt really all over the place. I'd rate it a 6.5/10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I agree with this take. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. I didn't like the pacing of the first two acts. And the lightsaber fights were...okay, but didn't have that same affect on me that say Obi Wan vs Anakin had in E3 or even Yoda vs Dooku in E2(NOTHING beats Maul vs Qui Gon/Obi Wan in E1).

The entire movie just felt really all over the place. I'd rate it a 6.5/10.

I didn’t really care for the lightsaber fights in the prequels. I don’t think Yoda should ever have used a lightsaber nor palpatine. 

the ending of Maul was botched and weakened it a lot and the Anakin/Obi Wan fight was over the top ridiculous with a laughably stupid ending. 

the ST has the best lightsaber fights of the series along with ESB and ROTJ throne room. This one (On the Death Star 2 wreckage) wasn’t as good as the snowy forest in TFA or the throne room moment in TLJ but it was good and actually how lightsaber fights should have been all along. Force stopping lightsabers and force jumps that aren’t simply just for over the top style