Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread


Recommended Posts

I put the odds at Kennedy being fired after ROS at 3 to 1. I almost guarantee it will happen.

 

Star Wars is going from cash cow to just a cow. This was THE marquee franchise in the 80s -- the equivalent of 10 Game of Thrones and 10 Super Bowls. Now it is just another "also-ran" franchise along with the Star Treks, Transformers, Fast and Furious, Harry Potter, and all the other pieces of crap out there. 

 

That is not what Disney and Bob Iger want. And the only way to salvage it is to show Kennedy the door. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I put the odds at Kennedy being fired after ROS at 3 to 1. I almost guarantee it will happen.

 

Star Wars is going from cash cow to just a cow. This was THE marquee franchise in the 80s -- the equivalent of 10 Game of Thrones and 10 Super Bowls. Now it is just another "also-ran" franchise along with the Star Treks, Transformers, Fast and Furious, Harry Potter, and all the other pieces of crap out there. 

 

That is not what Disney and Bob Iger want. And the only way to salvage it is to show Kennedy the door. 


I don’t know what Kathleen Kennedy did to you to make you so angry but the 4 movies she’s overseen have made just under $5 billion with another billion at least coming in for ROS. 
 

imo, Solo was a poor idea from the start because you can’t replicate young Harrison Ford’s charm, charisma and his chemistry with that particular cast which is a huge factor in his popularity and success with the role. 
 

the other movies have been box office successes and critical successes. Sorry some fans didn’t appreciate the direction TLJ went. To their credit, they tried something different and now have decided to give you people exactly what you want since you ****ed about it so much so instead of interesting and new ideas, we will get the same thing we’ve seen in 6 other movies I’m sure. 
 

Besides that, these movies are nowhere even approaching how bad the prequels are and those movies didn’t make half of what the ST is. 
 

so I’d like to hear you throw your hate at George Lucas for the prequels. Somehow, I’m sure that won’t happen 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
Link to post
Share on other sites

I despised the prequels. I only watched Attack of the Clones once, and that was more than enough. That might be the single worst movie ever made.

 

Again, I think its just sad to see this once beloved franchise being run into the ground, thanks largely to inept management first by Georgie boy and now Kathleen. 

 

And now that franchise will never, EVER, get the gaudy BO numbers like is did with the OT, with the Phantom Menace, and the Force Awakens. Its is OFFICIALLY

an "also ran" -- hardcore fans will continue to watch its various future incarnations, but the mainstream will completely ignore it. 

 

Disney has to be kicking themselves but they only have themselves to blame.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of anyone’s opinions, it’s clear that the films are extremely volatile and Disney took notice.

 

Pretty sure Bob Iger said they are taking a hiatus from films and focusing on streaming for now.

 

I think Kevin Feige (MCU) is in play for the future, and they should strongly consider Dave Filoni (Clone Wars, Rebels, The Mandolorian) to be involved in the future as well. Those guys know what they are doing, and some time off to reload will be good for everyone.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll always maintain that if you're old enough to remember the originals from when you were a kid in the late 70s, early 80s, there's no way that anyone could produce anything right now to live up to what you remember as a kid now that you're a bitter, jaded and cynical adult.  And when you watch the original three as an adult, you might put aside the fact that they're campy, the acting isn't great and anything else you notice now that you didn't when you were a kid...because those movies take you back to a great time in your life.  

 

As an adult you look at things through a more critical eye.  Even the last time you were completely blown away as an adult by a movie, it still is a different feeling than the wonderment you had when you were a kid for the original three.  

 

Things are just better as a kid.  You're more easily impressed.  These new Star Wars movies never stood a chance with the original fanbase because now the original fanbase is older and has a different taste.  I'm willing to bet that if the original three were released today they wouldn't generate the acclaim that they did back then.  

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Rogue One destroyed my faith in humanity. I would have had a better moviegoing experience watching a 2 hour video of my loved ones suffering in a fire before finally succumbing to their injuries in imax 3D.

 

Honestly, sign me up for that IMAX deal.  I could use a fresh start.

 

#MagaUncles

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Rogue One destroyed my faith in humanity. I would have had a better moviegoing experience watching a 2 hour video of my loved ones suffering in a fire before finally succumbing to their injuries in imax 3D.


Ironically also how that movie ended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll always maintain that if you're old enough to remember the originals from when you were a kid in the late 70s, early 80s, there's no way that anyone could produce anything right now to live up to what you remember as a kid now that you're a bitter, jaded and cynical adult.  And when you watch the original three as an adult, you might put aside the fact that they're campy, the acting isn't great and anything else you notice now

Speaking for that age group, I always thought ROTJ was a weak ass movie, and it became utterly apparent that toy merchandise took precedence over script and screen. The original movie was groundbreaking, but it has not aged well for all the reasons you mentioned. Only Empire Strikes Back holds up.

I don't hate the prequels because of unrealistic expectations; I hate them because they are Mystery Science Theater 3000 level awful.

JJ Abrams movie was better, but just like his Wrath of Khan "remake" there wasn't anything beyond formula. As a standalone, it would have been an ok movie, but it suffered badly from sequelitis.

The Last Jedi needed a better plot than the running out of gas dilemma. Lazy writing.

Rogue One was pretty good except for a few cheesey characters. I actually thought Solo was enjoyable, maybe because it was the least like any Star Wars formula movie...which is probably why a lot of die hard fans reviled it.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mournblade said:

Again, I think its just sad to see this once beloved franchise being run into the ground, thanks largely to inept management first by Georgie boy and now Kathleen. 

 

And now that franchise will never, EVER, get the gaudy BO numbers like is did with the OT, with the Phantom Menace, and the Force Awakens. Its is OFFICIALLY

an "also ran" -- hardcore fans will continue to watch its various future incarnations, but the mainstream will completely ignore it. 

 

Disney has to be kicking themselves but they only have themselves to blame.  

 

How is it being run into the ground? Star Wars was never going to be what the OT was at the time because it was the only thing like it. It captured an audience's imagination and those same tricks don't work anymore simply because there are 20 movies made every year now that provide the same things that star wars alone provided during the OT run. And still the two movies you cited are the movies made with the beginning of each trilogy after at least a decade absence so they are naturally going to be more hyped. TLJ made more than TPM still. Not to mention Kathleen Kennedy is executive producer and overseeing The Mandalorian which is the most popular show in the country right now and has nothing to do with Skywalkers.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Things are just better as a kid.  You're more easily impressed.  These new Star Wars movies never stood a chance with the original fanbase because now the original fanbase is older and has a different taste.  I'm willing to bet that if the original three were released today they wouldn't generate the acclaim that they did back then.  

 

100% this. They provided something new that had never been seen before and for that, we overlooked all of it's flaws. 

 

Not to mention that now they have to contend with 30+ years of an extended universe that fans are mad has not been adopted and the characters have not turned out the way they wanted them to both in their heads and within this extended universe material. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll always maintain that if you're old enough to remember the originals from when you were a kid in the late 70s, early 80s, there's no way that anyone could produce anything right now to live up to what you remember as a kid now that you're a bitter, jaded and cynical adult.  And when you watch the original three as an adult, you might put aside the fact that they're campy, the acting isn't great and anything else you notice now that you didn't when you were a kid...because those movies take you back to a great time in your life.  

 

As an adult you look at things through a more critical eye.  Even the last time you were completely blown away as an adult by a movie, it still is a different feeling than the wonderment you had when you were a kid for the original three.  

 

Things are just better as a kid.  You're more easily impressed.  These new Star Wars movies never stood a chance with the original fanbase because now the original fanbase is older and has a different taste.  I'm willing to bet that if the original three were released today they wouldn't generate the acclaim that they did back then.  

 

Not sure I can agree with that. The original trilogy had something that these new movies don't....characters with realized arcs that people were invested in. The characters in these new Star Wars movies don't progress at all. They give you nothing to root for. Luke's arc progressed and matured over three movies and he much changed over all 3 movies. He had to struggle and actually had obstacles to overcome that made people invested in his character and what came next. Same for Han Solo. Hell, even Darth Vader changed over the course of three movies. These new characters? It's like they're just there with no character arcs whatsoever. There's nothing about these characters that excite me at all. There's no obstacles for Rey. She shows up, is a damn good pilot and she can use the Force immediately, no obstacles. 2nd movie, she's still a great force user with not many obstacles in her way. Kylo is still the same angry punk he was in the first movie lol. Finn? Who gives a damn? Poe? Who gives a damn? What is there to look forward to honestly other than some lightsaber battles and pretty CGI?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AJ* said:

 

Not sure I can agree with that. The original trilogy had something that these new movies don't....characters with realized arcs that people were invested in. The characters in these new Star Wars movies don't progress at all. They give you nothing to root for. Luke's arc progressed and matured over three movies and he much changed over all 3 movies. He had to struggle and actually had obstacles to overcome that made people invested in his character and what came next. Same for Han Solo. Hell, even Darth Vader changed over the course of three movies. These new characters? It's like they're just there with no character arcs whatsoever. There's nothing about these characters that excite me at all. There's no obstacles for Rey. She shows up, is a damn good pilot and she can use the Force immediately, no obstacles. 2nd movie, she's still a great force user with not many obstacles in her way. Kylo is still the same angry punk he was in the first movie lol. Finn? Who gives a damn? Poe? Who gives a damn? What is there to look forward to honestly other than some lightsaber battles and pretty CGI?

 

A few things:

 

First, when you were 10 and watching Star Wars, did you care what a character arc was?  

Second, I think you're proving my point about looking at movies with a critical eye.  You don't think about movies like this when you're a kid.  I'm not saying the current movies don't have their faults...they certainly do.  

To further prove my point, look at the parent company, Disney.  Going to Disney World as a kid is a vastly different experience than when you're an adult, for obvious reasons.  You just look at things differently when you're an adult than when you're a kid.  There's no way you can have the sense of wonderment at the current movies like you did when you saw the first ones when you were a kid.  You couldn't go to Disney World now and look at it like you did when your parents took you.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'll always maintain that if you're old enough to remember the originals from when you were a kid in the late 70s, early 80s, there's no way that anyone could produce anything right now to live up to what you remember as a kid now that you're a bitter, jaded and cynical adult.  And when you watch the original three as an adult, you might put aside the fact that they're campy, the acting isn't great and anything else you notice now that you didn't when you were a kid...because those movies take you back to a great time in your life.  

 

As an adult you look at things through a more critical eye.  Even the last time you were completely blown away as an adult by a movie, it still is a different feeling than the wonderment you had when you were a kid for the original three.  

 

Things are just better as a kid.  You're more easily impressed.  These new Star Wars movies never stood a chance with the original fanbase because now the original fanbase is older and has a different taste.  I'm willing to bet that if the original three were released today they wouldn't generate the acclaim that they did back then.  

 

That, and Empire Strikes Back is hands down the greatest Sci Fi movie ever made. All subsequent Star Wars movies could simply not live up to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Riggo#44 changed the title to All Things Star Wars Thread

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...