Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

So you basically liked 4 and 5 and that's about it?

Loved 4-5 and 8. Loved the last 40 minutes of 6 but i have to overlook the ewoks. Enjoyed the last 30 minutes of 3. Liked 7 a lot. Enjoyed a lot of 9, like some of it but was disappointed with most of it. However, I've only seen it twice so that could change. 

1-2 can burn in hell. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I overrated 3 for years but it's still decent. FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, THE JEDI ARE EVIL is its idea of good dialogue, but you get what you came for. 

Love won't save you Padme, only my new powers can. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Empire is a fairly dark follow-up to ANH and there have been darker stories in extended canon. I guess it's telling that after ESB they went the opposite direction and really leaned into Kids Corner with ewoks and slapstick hijinx in ROTJ

Dark in the same way that LOTR is dark. Star Wars and Empire were written for adults (in a way that kids and families could enjoy) the way a lot of great SFF is. I think that's one of the reasons I gravitated to it as a genre. As a kid, I was entirely bored by the children's section in the library. By the age of ten, I pretty much jumped from picture books to Xanth, Pern, and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. 

When I say dark, the modern definition often has a cruel connotation to it, a hopeless connotation that implies the world sucks and will only get worse (Think Game of Thrones). Star Wars was never DARK. I agree it did have some serious elements.

Edit: Maybe I'd use the word "tough" instead of dark. I realize I'm being very nerdy here. lol

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Love won't save you Padme, only my new powers can. 

When the medical droid says there is nothing wrong with Padme, she has just lost her will to live is pretty idiotic. That's some serious post partum depression...

Also. baby yoda, Ben and Rey all manifest the magic power to prevent death/resurrect yet the chosen one can't. 

Episode X, Star Wars meets the Walking Dead. Baby Yoda and Rey resurrect dueling zombie armies as the galaxy succumbs to the zombie apocalypse...

4 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

When the medical droid says there is nothing wrong with Padme, she has just lost her will to live is pretty idiotic. That's some serious post partum depression...

Also. baby yoda, Ben and Rey all manifest the magic power to prevent death/resurrect yet the chosen one can't. 

Episode X, Star Wars meets the Walking Dead. Baby Yoda and Rey resurrect dueling zombie armies as the galaxy succumbs to the zombie apocalypse...

That's an interesting one. I do like the idea of expanding the "magic" of the Force, but the healing powers are a little problematic as you can imagine that these powers ought to have been in play much earlier. You can make an excuse for Luke in the original trilogy because he was barely trained and rushed out unprepared, but in the prequels with the Jedis as their height and Annakin being in the Jedi Academy itself (not to mention having Yoda and all the rest there) you'd think that Jedi healing would have been a thing.

I'm happy to overlook it as a continuity flaw because I liked how it worked in the story, but it is problematic and something an editor would demand more explanation for the convenience of this power suddenly emerging so late in the story.

7 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Watched it again. Still pretty disappointed overall. 

Reveal hidden contents

The movie's entire soul is just crushed by it's inability or rather unwillingness to do anything interesting or do anything that might spark a controversy among the fans. 

The whole "chewbacca was on a different transport" was basically Glenn sliding under a dumpster in The Walking Dead when he should have been eaten alive. It was an awful walking back of a bold choice and an opportunity to explore something truly unique in this entire series. Why do this? What did Chewbacca contribute to this movie that he had to remain alive? Oh he got a medal. That was a fan service meta joke anyway. He had a nice heartfelt reaction to Leia passing. That was nice but it was a correction of JJ's original error in TFA by not giving Chewie and Leia a moment together after Han's death. This would have been something really nice to explore, a hero literally killing a fan favorite by mistake because her powers are so strong and she gave in to her anger for a moment not realizing this would be the outcome. This fakeout destroyed any tension or stakes that the movie had and was followed rather quickly by C3PO's sacrifice for his friends being immediately undone too. 

It just torpedo'd the emotion of the movie for me and made scenes like Ben's turn and even Rey's death or the final confrontation with Palpatine fall flat because there was no real tension.  

JJ Abrams didn't have it in him to create something unique and neither did Disney after TLJ cry babies and this was the result. It's literally a check-off box of every Star Wars cliche possible thrown into one ridiculous movie. It has nothing interesting to say. It proposes no questions for the audience. Ultimately, that made it impossible for it to be special.

I never understood the reaction of Chewie and Leia at the of TFA either. You'd think that there would be something there. It was like Jon Snow not petting Ghost. 

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I never understood the reaction of Chewie and Leia at the of TFA either. You'd think that there would be something there. It was like Jon Snow not petting Ghost. 

yeah that was the time to have chewie break down and Leia console him and they could have a moment. 

jon snow bailing on ghost is a good comparison 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

yeah that was the time to have chewie break down and Leia console him and they could have a moment. 

jon snow bailing on ghost is a good comparison 

Spoiler

I think that might have been the reason why I was so happy when Chewie got his medal at the end of Rise of Skywalker. It rectified the omission at the end of Star Wars when Luke and Han were awarded and Chewie was left out. Chewie needed to be treated as an equal non-human, not a subhuman or pet at least amongst the good guys.

By the time of The Force Awakens, Chewie and Leia should be really good friends if not proto-family. If they're not, we need a story reason explaining why their relationship never developed/fell apart. Chewie mourning Leia with just as much force as he mourned Han is Rising felt right.

• Like 1

I thought Kenobi was good overall. Visually it gets A marks from me. But It's not as beautiful or spellbinding as Dark Legacy, at least for me. 

I would have loved even more ambiance of the natural world with Obi-Wan, seeing art house montages of him venturing out into the desert for days at a time on solo hikes, nearing starvation, on the verge of dehydration, desperately trying to contact Qui-gon, breaking down emotionally from silence, from remorse, from tiredness. Then finding little truths and reassurances of the force from the natural world and from within himself. 

Another short could have been Obi-Wan's flirtation with the Mos Eisley cantina. Explore his first visit, how often he went there, little story thread that originated from there.

Comparatively I just loved the visuals and especially the sound of Dark Legacy. It was so tactually full.

Definitely enjoyed the movie but was just there for the Abrams ride. He can really ramp up the pacing, going from one stunning location/scene/visual and hammering you with the next, next, next, etc. 

Really not invested in the story anymore. 7-9 just isn't a coherent trilogy, its more like 3 separate sequels. 

Don't think I'll be excited for Star Wars again unless it gets back that Space Western feel. The SciFi elements don't hold up and the fantasy elements have turned the force into a bunch of Superheroes with Superpowers. 

I struggle with ranking the movies, but I can place them in tiers and sort them chronologically. 

A:

A New Hope 

The Empire Strikes Back

B+/B:

Return of the Jedi 

Revenge of the Sith 

The Force Awakens 

The Last Jedi 

B-/C+:

Rogue One 

The Rise of Skywalker 

C-/D+:

The Phantom Menace 

Attack of the Clones 

Solo

So I'd say there are 6 good Star Wars movies and 5 that are average-to-bad. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

A:

A New Hope 

The Empire Strikes Back

B+/B:

Return of the Jedi 

Revenge of the Sith 

The Force Awakens 

Rogue One 

The Rise of Skywalker 

B-/C+:

The Last Jedi 

C

Solo

C-/D+:

The Phantom Menace 

Attack of the Clones 

I'm close. The above is how I'd probably rate them. Solo was a fine Summer flick. Forgettable. Neither good nor bad. I think it gets a little too beat up. It was a pure two star movie in my book. Flawed, but fun and stupid.

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm close. The above is how I'd probably rate them. Solo was a fine Summer flick. Forgettable. Neither good nor bad. I think it gets a little too beat up. It was a pure two star movie in my book. Flawed, but fun and stupid.

I wish I had more fun watching it. I think bringing in Ron Howard was a mistake because he struggles with making movies that look and feel fun. He's got this really cold, staid visual style that didn't fit the kind of movie Solo wanted to be. Does anyone really want Star Wars to look like The DaVinci Code? 

Lord and Miller would have made a much better film IMO. 

Edited by Bacon

1 hour ago, Burgold said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think that might have been the reason why I was so happy when Chewie got his medal at the end of Rise of Skywalker. It rectified the omission at the end of Star Wars when Luke and Han were awarded and Chewie was left out. Chewie needed to be treated as an equal non-human, not a subhuman or pet at least amongst the good guys.

By the time of The Force Awakens, Chewie and Leia should be really good friends if not proto-family. If they're not, we need a story reason explaining why their relationship never developed/fell apart. Chewie mourning Leia with just as much force as he mourned Han is Rising felt right.

I don't know how I never realized that about the end of a New Hope. I think I had just assumed that Chewie had one. So Lucas messed around with the OT, even destroying two iconic scenes and they couldn't get Chewie a medal thrown in? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I wish I had more fun watching it. I think bringing in Ron Howard was a mistake because he struggles with making movies that look and feel fun. He's got this really cold, staid visual style that didn't fit the kind of movie Solo wanted to be. Does anyone really want Star Wars to look like The DaVinci Code? 

I thought Splash and Cocoon were pretty fun. Then again, if I'm being honest, I don't really remember Solo, Splash, or Cocoon well enough to make an argument about any of them. Solo in particular was pretty forgettable.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I struggle with ranking the movies, but I can place them in tiers and sort them chronologically. 

A:

A New Hope 

The Empire Strikes Back

B+/B:

Return of the Jedi 

Revenge of the Sith 

The Force Awakens 

The Last Jedi 

B-/C+:

Rogue One 

The Rise of Skywalker 

C-/D+:

The Phantom Menace 

Attack of the Clones 

Solo

I'd give ESB an A+. There's no ESB, there's no reason to care about Star Wars.

A-: ANH, ROTJ

B+: TFA, Solo

C+: Rogue One, ROTS

F: Everything else

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

You can't put it on Ron Howard though. He was the only director that was willing to come in and take over another director's project that was in such a catastrophic state. It was a full-blown emergency reaching critical mass for Disney with release deadlines already placed...it was a miracle Ron salvaged the production.

Edit - Added this. The Lord and Miller dailies were so bad that Disney hit the nuke button. Acting coaches were also hired for the cast on set to accomodate the slap-stick style Lord and Miller were trying to do.

Edited by Metalhead

2 hours ago, Metalhead said:

You can't put it on Ron Howard though. He was the only director that was willing to come in and take over another director's project that was in such a catastrophic state. It was a full-blown emergency reaching critical mass for Disney with release deadlines already placed...it was a miracle Ron salvaged the production.

Edit - Added this. The Lord and Miller dailies were so bad that Disney hit the nuke button. Acting coaches were also hired for the cast on set to accomodate the slap-stick style Lord and Miller were trying to do.

Ron Howard certainly got the film out on time. That's the nicest thing I can say about his contribution though.

Solo was alright. I hated that it was made but it wasn't a complete disaster like many expected. Young Lando and Emilia Clarke stole the show. I still don't understand what the hell the Kessel Run was, why it's a big deal that he took a shortcut and why that would become some legendary accomplishment. They really butchered that imo. Also it sucked introducing Maul back into the movies. That was stupid. 

The best thing I thought it did was show the empire from a different perspective and show some of the origins of the OT rebels. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Solo was alright. I hated that it was made but it wasn't a complete disaster like many expected. Young Lando and Emilia Clarke stole the show. I still don't understand what the hell the Kessel Run was, why it's a big deal that he took a shortcut and why that would become some legendary accomplishment. They really butchered that imo. Also it sucked introducing Maul back into the movies. That was stupid. 

I thought they tried to throw WAY too many things into one movie.  Which meant that they couldn't spend very much time on any of them.  

• Like 3

That Mandalorian season finale was badass. 

I had to look it up but:

Spoiler

darksaber being included seems really cool. It looks like an awesome weapon. A black lightsaber that Moff Gideon apparently got during his massacre of Mandalore. 

Also, that tie figher scene was great, we've never seen anything like that before. I mean Boba Fett would have died just watching that scene on TV. 

They setup the direction for season 2 really well. More adventures as he tries to track down baby yoda's race. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That Mandalorian season finale was badass. 

I had to look it up but:

Reveal hidden contents

darksaber being included seems really cool. It looks like an awesome weapon. A black lightsaber that Moff Gideon apparently got during his massacre of Mandalore. 

Also, that tie figher scene was great, we've never seen anything like that before. I mean Boba Fett would have died just watching that scene on TV. 

They setup the direction for season 2 really well. More adventures as he tries to track down baby yoda's race. 

Agreed a lot of great stuff and a nice end to the season.

Spoiler

The Armorer crackin' stormtrooper helmets with the hammer was some of the more brutal **** I've seen in Star Wars.

Greef asking Baby Yoda to do his magic hands was hilarious.

IG-11 as Baby Yoda's protector I'd like to see more of but thought his sacrifice was emotional and well done. 

I know what Pedro Pascal looks like but having his helmet removed and seeing his face felt strange for some reason.  It almost looked CGI'd on.  I'll have to re-watch it.   

People complain about Gina Carano's acting but I think she's been fine and hope she's back for more.  

Gideon's back story is going to be interesting.  How he got the blacksaber and how he escaped execution as Mando and Cara thought.   

Edited by drowland
  • Like 4