Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

23 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

how so?

Thematically, I feel as if the concept of mankind overcoming genetics and fate through dedication, friendship and sheer willpower has been evaporated out of this series through TROS. Rian Johnson drained a lot of the magic, mysticism and fatalism out of this series and it turned people off, but the idea that anyone, even a little boy with a coin and a big dream playing in his backyard could become a powerful contributor of good in the universe, brought me closer to the series. I loved that ending. It was a very millennial concept, the killing of idols and leveling of playing fields for all. 

This movie is such a backtrack not so much in terms of plot elements (though Rey stomping everything in her path

Spoiler

essentially because of the power acquired through her parentage

was a major conflict) but of attitude and philosophy. Outside of one returning character 

Spoiler

Luke, who is involved in a very rushed but necessary scene referencing these matters, 

LTJ's dark night of the soul seems to have bounced off much of the cast without incident. Even Kylo, whose arc was mapped out competently, is back to rebuilding his mask and trying desperately to be Vader, with expected results. I thought he was seeking autonomy in LTJ? I wish they had spent more time talking about what they went through in that movie and translating it to a fresh philosophy instead of flying around the galaxy collecting trinkets that unlock other trinkets. 

Edited by Bacon

6 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

This trilogy is still infinitely better than Episodes 1-3....even the kid characters were better Babu Frik, Porgs, D-0 droid, etc

The Lightning are much better than the Red Wings this year. Does that make them a good team?

The only ST movie I consider canon is TFA. It makes a nice epilogue to the OT. 

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

To my grave, this Star Wars geek will never understand the hate for this last trilogy.  

Reveal hidden contents

Hearing Snips and Kanan Jarrus's voices near the end was a nice bone to throw. Although it makes me sad about Snips eventual fate.

Spoiler

👀

I was satisfied by the movie and found it fun. I think it did manage to return to the spirit of Star Wars and that was a good thing. There are flaws, but they finally did a number of things right. For one, they let the characters interact instead of sending everyone off on their own adventures. 

Spoiler

I liked the Leia/Rei interaction

I was super happy that Chewie got his medal

The Kylo/Rey scenes where they battled between space and time were pretty neat.

I think I even liked Ben sacrificing himself for her.

I approved of Rey being the solo hero to take down the Emperor (even though I expected it was going to be a team up for the win)

I do think Abrahms erased some of the story from The Last Jedi, but frankly, I didn't mind that. Nothing really happened in that movie to advance the plot. The duology had a plot and a throughline. The middle movie was "stuff happened."

Watched it again. Still pretty disappointed overall. 

Spoiler

The movie's entire soul is just crushed by it's inability or rather unwillingness to do anything interesting or do anything that might spark a controversy among the fans. 

The whole "chewbacca was on a different transport" was basically Glenn sliding under a dumpster in The Walking Dead when he should have been eaten alive. It was an awful walking back of a bold choice and an opportunity to explore something truly unique in this entire series. Why do this? What did Chewbacca contribute to this movie that he had to remain alive? Oh he got a medal. That was a fan service meta joke anyway. He had a nice heartfelt reaction to Leia passing. That was nice but it was a correction of JJ's original error in TFA by not giving Chewie and Leia a moment together after Han's death. This would have been something really nice to explore, a hero literally killing a fan favorite by mistake because her powers are so strong and she gave in to her anger for a moment not realizing this would be the outcome. This fakeout destroyed any tension or stakes that the movie had and was followed rather quickly by C3PO's sacrifice for his friends being immediately undone too. 

It just torpedo'd the emotion of the movie for me and made scenes like Ben's turn and even Rey's death or the final confrontation with Palpatine fall flat because there was no real tension.  

JJ Abrams didn't have it in him to create something unique and neither did Disney after TLJ cry babies and this was the result. It's literally a check-off box of every Star Wars cliche possible thrown into one ridiculous movie. It has nothing interesting to say. It proposes no questions for the audience. Ultimately, that made it impossible for it to be special.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

Better than that crapfest TLJ. I think producers know they cant do anything without pissing off Star Wars nerds, racists and incels, and people who want A New Hope/Empire Strikes Back.

Rise of Skywalker was the best they could have done within that sphere of possibility. 

On 12/26/2019 at 10:44 AM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Watched it again. Still pretty disappointed overall. 

Reveal hidden contents

The movie's entire soul is just crushed by it's inability or rather unwillingness to do anything interesting or do anything that might spark a controversy among the fans. 

The whole "chewbacca was on a different transport" was basically Glenn sliding under a dumpster in The Walking Dead when he should have been eaten alive. It was an awful walking back of a bold choice and an opportunity to explore something truly unique in this entire series. Why do this? What did Chewbacca contribute to this movie that he had to remain alive? Oh he got a medal. That was a fan service meta joke anyway. He had a nice heartfelt reaction to Leia passing. That was nice but it was a correction of JJ's original error in TFA by not giving Chewie and Leia a moment together after Han's death. This would have been something really nice to explore, a hero literally killing a fan favorite by mistake because her powers are so strong and she gave in to her anger for a moment not realizing this would be the outcome. This fakeout destroyed any tension or stakes that the movie had and was followed rather quickly by C3PO's sacrifice for his friends being immediately undone too. 

It just torpedo'd the emotion of the movie for me and made scenes like Ben's turn and even Rey's death or the final confrontation with Palpatine fall flat because there was no real tension.  

JJ Abrams didn't have it in him to create something unique and neither did Disney after TLJ cry babies and this was the result. It's literally a check-off box of every Star Wars cliche possible thrown into one ridiculous movie. It has nothing interesting to say. It proposes no questions for the audience. Ultimately, that made it impossible for it to be special.

That's entirely your fault. Cinema rule 101 for important characters

Spoiler

Unless you see them physically drop dead in front of you, then they are not dead. And if they are, then it was a crap death anyway, having them die off screen. If I was to be angry it would've been them trying to fool me with that. A 40 year fan favorite is not going to die like that.

You should've already known Rey wasn't dead when she kabob'd Ren and healed him, allowing that possibility into the minds of the audience when she died too, knowing the connection they shared.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Better than that crapfest TLJ. I think producers know they cant do anything without pissing off Star Wars nerds, racists and uncles, and people who want A New Hope/Empire Strikes Back.

Rise of Skywalker was the best they could have done within that sphere of possibility. 

That's entirely your fault. Cinema rule 101 for important characters

Hide contents

Unless you see them physically drop dead in front of you, then they are not dead. And if they are, then it was a crap death anyway, having them die off screen. If I was to be angry it would've been them trying to fool me with that. A 40 year fan favorite is not going to die like that.

You should've already known Rey wasn't dead when she kabob'd Ren and healed him, allowing that possibility into the minds of the audience when she died too, knowing the connection they shared.

oh I didn’t think outside of 30 seconds it had really happened because the reactions of the characters and how the movie skipped right over it with barely a mention and then I was immediately disappointed that they didn’t go thru with it. and like I said, once that was realized, it was obvious all the other big moments weren’t going to pay off either. 

they had a chance to be bold and create a conclusion that was unique and they decided to make a highlight reel that leaves as many questions as the things it poorly answered. 

you cant and will never make great or even good art by trying to be as safe as possible 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Spoiler

Well, to be completely fair... How can you call something Rise of Skywalker if you kill off every danged Skywalker. I didn't really see them killing Ben off and thought that was a nice cinematic redemption. Sure, it's within the fairy tale trope of sacrifice, but Star Wars has always been a fairy tale more than Science Fiction.

I guess the other thing is just something simple. Star Wars is not meant to be dark and gritty. Just like you will never see a Kafka-esque Muppets movie.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 3

On 12/24/2019 at 7:15 PM, Bacon said:

I wouldn't ask for a movie recommendation from anyone who thinks 1-3 are better movies than 7-9. They probably have galaxy brain when it comes to Star Wars though and I'll be sure to consult them about lore. 

I think 1-3 are better movies.....🤔

(2 & 3 actually)

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

The issue with 7-9 is where does it end up? The story doesn’t really advance. It ends pretty much in the same place Return of the Jedi does. Palpatine is gone but you have the First Order still in place. Swap the the unknown future of Rey with that of Luke and Leia and you are literally in the same spot as the second Death Star being destroyed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Burgold said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Well, to be completely fair... How can you call something Rise of Skywalker if you kill off every danged Skywalker. I didn't really see them killing Ben off and thought that was a nice cinematic redemption. Sure, it's within the fairy tale trope of sacrifice, but Star Wars has always been a fairy tale more than Science Fiction.

I guess the other thing is just something simple. Star Wars is not meant to be dark and gritty. Just like you will never see a Kafka-esque Muppets movie.

Empire is a fairly dark follow-up to ANH and there have been darker stories in extended canon. I guess it's telling that after ESB they went the opposite direction and really leaned into Kids Corner with ewoks and slapstick hijinx in ROTJ

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

2? That romance worked for you?  3 was pretty good.

I don't think anything in 2 worked to be honest. Even the last fight on Geonsis was weak. 

53 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

The romance didn't really work but it was a necessary "evil" imo, to get to the good stuff: Episode 3

To me, 3 is the same quality as 1-2 which is to be kind, not good, but is fortunately saved by the last 30 minutes or so. Even though for the most part the last 30 minutes all have the same problems that plague the rest of the prequels (bad dialogue, comically ridiculous fight scenes, wooden characters, crappy CGI), they at least gave us what we waited for the entire time from the prequels which was Anakin's turn to the dark side, a fight with Obi Wan and seeing how the pieces fell into place to setup ANH. 

15 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Empire is a fairly dark follow-up to ANH and there have been darker stories in extended canon. I guess it's telling that after ESB they went the opposite direction and really leaned into Kids Corner with ewoks and slapstick hijinx in ROTJ

I don't think anything in 2 worked to be honest. Even the last fight on Geonsis was weak. 

To me, 3 is the same quality as 1-2 which is to be kind, not good, but is fortunately saved by the last 30 minutes or so. Even though for the most part the last 30 minutes all have the same problems that plague the rest of the prequels (bad dialogue, comically ridiculous fight scenes, wooden characters, crappy CGI), they at least gave us what we waited for the entire time from the prequels which was Anakin's turn to the dark side, a fight with Obi Wan and seeing how the pieces fell into place to setup ANH. 

So you basically liked 4 and 5 and that's about it?

2 is a pretty terrible movie, but there are interesting developments in the lore. As far as the story goes, hardcore fans will be left with something to chew on. Still a dull and badly acted movie though. I have no idea what casual viewers would get out of it. 

I overrated 3 for years but it's still decent. FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, THE JEDI ARE EVIL is its idea of good dialogue, but you get what you came for.