Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

On 12/25/2020 at 3:58 AM, Wildbunny said:

I could do the same kind of critic regarding the first SW trilogy.

Story is quite pretty basic. Just a fight of good vs evil which is freaking casual. And the only real twist is Vader being Luke's father. Otherwise, it's pretty meh.

Characters are pretty straightforward and somehow uninspiring.

If not for visual effects and ships, this trilogy is lacking almost everything.

Agree with everything but your conclusion,  Yes, Star Wars is basic, Good vs Evil, story.  Swords and princesses and sorcerers.  John Williams has siad he intentionally made the music evocative of that spirit.  Of Errol Flynn.  

I disagree that there's anything wrong with that.  

I don't demand more than that from entertainment.  What I care about is - is it a well done story?  And it was.  

12 hours ago, PeterMP said:

The concept at the time was pretty novel and that concept easily covered for a basic story.  The idea of brining a space opera to the big screen to a mass audience was a novel ideal. It was something original.  When you do that, you can get away a pretty straight forward plot.

Yeah.  Nobody had ever done grand drama sci fi on film before.  

58 minutes ago, Larry said:

I disagree that there's anything wrong with that.  

I don't demand more than that from entertainment.  What I care about is - is it a well done story?  And it was.  

Never implied that there's anything wrong with basic stories.  They even often makes the best stories after all because they are easy to get. I could put on the same critic about Lord of the Rings which is also pure good vs evil and straightforward characters...

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Yeah.  Nobody had ever done grand drama sci fi on film before.  

I'd say 2001: A Space Odissey will disagree here. And Plan 9 from outer space too :)

The list of this kind of movies is long. But none got the success Star Wars did. And I'm fine with that :)

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I'd say 2001: A Space Odissey will disagree here. And Plan 9 from outer space too :)

That was my point.  I'd say Forbidden Planet is a Shakespeare story.  

I'm not down on Star Wars.  Think it's a great movie.  I just have a problem with fans trying to pretend that it was a bold groundbreaking of historic proportions that had never been done before.  For example, Star Wars did not invent the idea of a tough waterfront bar.  

When i draw I watch TV. I design for a living, so i watch a lot of TV. It's a mindless occupation.. all hand-eye. Once the idea is in my head and sketched out i don't really need to think.

When left o it's own devices, my brain goes places i don't like. Likes to remind me of every awful thing i've ever done or has happened.
So TV.
Recently i've decided to watch every bit of Star Wars material in chronological order. 

3 things stand out

1. It is a good story,, it is pretty basic, but to me the scope of it across the entire Galaxy, encompassing really anything the writer's imagination can conceive, is impressive. That has appeal. that and the sheer number of characters and how they intertwine throughout the whole story is pretty cool.

2. The Clone Wars cartoon is one of the best things in the entire canon.  It is fantastic. Incredibly well done. (this is where i am now. About midway through. I watched it before and enjoyed it, but without the knowledge of everything else going on.)

3. It is a good thing they did not release "Episode1" first. The kid that plays Annakin would have made sure no other movies ever got made. The kids, every one of them, are just awful, like 1st grade school play bad.  My GOD the acting in that movie is TERRIBLE, top to bottom.

As i roll through this again, i find new appreciation. Fun story. Great characters.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Larry said:

That was my point.  I'd say Forbidden Planet is a Shakespeare story.  

I'm not down on Star Wars.  Think it's a great movie.  I just have a problem with fans trying to pretend that it was a bold groundbreaking of historic proportions that had never been done before.  For example, Star Wars did not invent the idea of a tough waterfront bar.  

OK, we're on the same page then :)

:fighting0040:

Hey Bang..did you already watch through Star Wars Rebels? I liked it a lot more than Clone Wars..probably #1 reason was because it went in order chronologically. 

Also, in regard to Mando, I'd say the storyline of Din Djarin being taken into a cult as an abandoned (orphaned) child is a lot different than other scifi stories. Especially as we learn through him that what he thought was "the way" of Mandalorians is really just cultish nationalism. 

But yeah,  Star Wars has always been a space western. That was Lucas's idea. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Hey Bang..did you already watch through Star Wars Rebels? I liked it a lot more than Clone Wars..probably #1 reason was because it went in order chronologically. 

Also, in regard to Mando, I'd say the storyline of Din Djarin being taken into a cult as an abandoned (orphaned) child is a lot different than other scifi stories. Especially as we learn through him that what he thought was "the way" of Mandalorians is really just cultish nationalism. 

But yeah,  Star Wars has always been a space western. That was Lucas's idea. 

No, not yet. I am not sure where that falls in the order.

the list i am working off went

Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
Clone wars

Revenge of the sith..  and then i don't recall. I'll have to re-look at it to see where it falls.

--------

Mandalorian is alright. It's a western in a lot of ways and i like westerns. 

I love the casting, lots of good guest stars in roles good for them. 
Timothy Olyphant as a frontier sheriff..  wow, who'da guessed?

~Bang

Edited by Bang

• 2 weeks later...