Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

That’s what I’m saying. I liked the MCu because I could watch 2-3 movies a year and know what’s going on. 

I don’t know that I have 50+ hours of TV in me every year just to keep up

And as much I liked the ending and thought it was cool, I’m honestly kinda disappointed after a week of thinking about it that yet another Star Wars story comes down to a Skywalker saving the day. I liked that the Mandalorian was its own unique story with new characters exploring a time period we haven’t really seen before. And now it’s just a hodgepodge of clone wars, rebels, and post-ROTJ fan service. Now Grogu is gone, Mando is doing who knows what and there are 75 different shows I need to watch to know who everybody is and what’s going on 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

8 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I haven't posted in here about the show because I didn't want to be a killjoy, but you're coming to grips with the show not being very good.  Star Wars as a whole is fan service, not just the last episode of Mandalorian.  20 years ago, star wars properties were still somewhat inspired and ambitious if deeply flawed, but they haven't been since the prequels flopped.  The Mandalorian is an uninspired exercise in telling familiar stories in simple ways that kids can follow, with fundamentally uninteresting characters that are threadbare archetypes designed to be either cute or cool and thus appeal to a broad audience on a very basic level.  It's just a recontextualization of almost every famous western trope/story, but the overall concepts of man with no name story type + True Grit/Silas Marner story type just don't work well as a tv series.  Not without any real or interesting character work in the show.  Most of the show is aimless and inconsequential and thus forgettable, and the denouement is necessarily unsatisfying because of that pointlessness in the narrative arc.

Bad as the recent Star Wars trilogy was, it at least baked interest into the story by telling and epic.

Mandalorian was a weak concept to begin with, and it was badly written.  It's a basic sci fi show with a boring, repetitive formula intended to be an un-challenging experience for kids.  It's dumb but slick and professional enough in production to disguise how dumb it is.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I could do the same kind of critic regarding the first SW trilogy.

Story is quite pretty basic. Just a fight of good vs evil which is freaking casual. And the only real twist is Vader being Luke's father. Otherwise, it's pretty meh.

Characters are pretty straightforward and somehow uninspiring.

If not for visual effects and ships, this trilogy is lacking almost everything.

But it does keep you dreaming.

Which is the main goal in those kind of movies / TV series.

Have you never used forced to open automated sliding glass door when entering a mall? Or wave your hand at your wife asking her to bring you your coffee? Works everytime with mine!

Actually working on my Force skills with my kittens. Still need training.

Edited by Wildbunny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

And we wonder why the world hates millennial hipsters. 😁 

Translation: "its popular, so I hate it"

18 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That’s what I’m saying. I liked the MCu because I could watch 2-3 movies a year and know what’s going on. 

And as much I liked the ending and thought it was cool, I’m honestly kinda disappointed after a week of thinking about it that yet another Star Wars story comes down to a Skywalker saving the day. I liked that the Mandalorian was its own unique story with new characters exploring a time period we haven’t really seen before. And now it’s just a hodgepodge of clone wars, rebels, and post-ROTJ fan service. Now Grogu is gone, Mando is doing who knows what and there are 75 different shows I need to watch to know who everybody is and what’s going on 

If you think about it objectively, it makes the most sense. Pre-TFA, Luke is actively looking for force sensitives to rebuild the Jedi Order. Of course he would be "listening" and of course he would come. To not use Luke in that instance would be avoiding him simply to avoid him, which is just as bad as using him for no good reason.

Who else would it be? Some random? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Translation: "its popular, so I hate it"

If you think about it objectively, it makes the most sense. Pre-TFA, Luke is actively looking for force sensitives to rebuild the Jedi Order. Of course he would be "listening" and of course he would come. To not use Luke in that instance would be avoiding him simply to avoid him, which is just as bad as using him for no good reason.

Who else would it be? Some random? 

Somebody, anybody? Or don’t make Grogu go on the stone and reach out at all. Tell something different. 

This show was billed as a grittier Star Wars, a rogue one type story. But once Grogu was introduced at the end of episode one, and let me be clear, I love him unconditionally, it became a Saturday morning cartoon. It’s a space western sure but it’s a kids show that we all enjoy because it’s so much fun to be in this universe again with competent storytelling and production and it really felt freeing to not be connected to the Skywalkers and the main story and other big events and characters. I was interested in Grogu and Mando and what their story would be. If it tied in to the main story at the end, fine but this was rich ground, a post-ROTJ setting not seen before that had mystery and intrigue. 

it just feels like all of that is gone now because a Skywalker showed up to save the day, took the best thing about the show away, and now all we are left with is more highlight reels for the people that watched 15 seasons of SW cartoons 

• Sad 1

I thought Mando was certainly dark enough and edgy... Just in a hard PG/soft PG-13 sense. I have no problem with that. Maybe they went overboard with the canon, and the Skywalker came, but I thought they knocked it out of the park.

I think there's only so far you can go in that galaxy, without feeling the reverb of the kid that brought balance to the Force, the man that poisoned the Empire, and their offspring/allies that fought for peace and the restoration of the Republic. I think there are wonderful stories that can be told if you go as far back as KOTOR canon, and dont involve the major players, but as far as the era of the Empire, it's just unavoidable 

I don’t see Luke taking Grogu away as a good or bad thing.  Grogu’s time on the show was to show character growth in the bounty Hunter.  Mando is being stripped down to his foundation.  His clan, ship (home), and charge are now gone.  His kinship with his own kind is being challenged by encountering less religious mandalorians that now are in conflict with him over the saber.  Who is he?  Why does he struggle?  Where does he go from here?  

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Definitely check out The Acolyte one. Premise is dark side heavy allegedly. 

The Dark side is the cooler side.

I still am on full tank for a Purge series--purge troopers, inquisitors, fear, death, destruction...it would be so good.

On 12/25/2020 at 2:13 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Mandalorian was a weak concept to begin with, and it was badly written.  It's a basic sci fi show with a boring, repetitive formula intended to be an un-challenging experience for kids.  It's dumb but slick and professional enough in production to disguise how dumb it is.

I've been thinking this, but didn't want to post this, but I've thought the same thing.  I struggled through watching thinking I was missing something, thinking I'd catch on.

There were just things that didn't make any sense.

(My 11 year old daughter whose gotten big into some Star Wars and loves the Avengers movies watched an episode or two and said it wasn't any good.  I watched all of them keep thinking so many other people loved it, and I just must not be getting it.)

On 12/25/2020 at 3:58 AM, Wildbunny said:

I could do the same kind of critic regarding the first SW trilogy.

Story is quite pretty basic. Just a fight of good vs evil which is freaking casual. And the only real twist is Vader being Luke's father. Otherwise, it's pretty meh.

Characters are pretty straightforward and somehow uninspiring.

If not for visual effects and ships, this trilogy is lacking almost everything.

The concept at the time was pretty novel and that concept easily covered for a basic story.  The idea of brining a space opera to the big screen to a mass audience was a novel ideal. It was something original.  When you do that, you can get away a pretty straight forward plot.

I don't think its surprising if your depending on the same thing to hook people 30 years later some people that some people are going to be disappointed.

12 hours ago, PeterMP said:

I've been thinking this, but didn't want to post this, but I've thought the same thing.  I struggled through watching thinking I was missing something, thinking I'd catch on.

There were just things that didn't make any sense.

(My 11 year old daughter whose gotten big into some Star Wars and loves the Avengers movies watched an episode or two and said it wasn't any good.  I watched all of them keep thinking so many other people loved it, and I just must not be getting it.)

Eh.  It's The Man With No Name.  Heck, the voice and the dialog are almost copies.  

But I like The Man With No Name.  So what?  

Edited by Larry