Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential Landing Spots For RG3

Gizmo 3squire

Seriously, he's not my hero. I don't ascribe to the view he is a villain, either. Since he is still under contract, and no one has ever heard one demand nor complaint from him, what's up? If he is gone and it is time to move on, what are the Redskins doing with him? Why don't the Redskins just get it over with and release him? There is a reason. Do you know what it is? There is no hyperbole in this message, nor is it intended to offend anyone. Anybody know what's going on? Thank you.

I'm not sure why he hasn't been released.  IMO, Scot's first mistake as GM was not trading RG3 for a pick in January of last season.  For the reasons I mentioned above, RG3 was never going to win an actual open competition for the QB spot, so it would have been best to trade him at that point at what I suspect would be a much higher value than what we can get now (remember, that was pre-option).

Once they named Cousins the starter, it made sense to not cut RG3.  I would have preferred a trade, but I suspect that no teams were interested in taking a flyer on RG3 so close to the start of the season and being on the hook for $16M if they throw him into the fire.  The reason I felt that cutting RG3 would be a mistake is that he could easily have been scooped up by a division rival or other team on our schedule to glean intelligence about our playcalling, tendencies, and signals.  So it made sense to trade him to a team that's not on our schedule rather than cutting him.

At this point, I'm not sure why they haven't cut him.  Perhaps there is some small amount of leverage that he provides the Redskins in their negotiations with Cousins - maybe they can claim that if Cousins asks for too high a number, they would be willing to let him walk and go with RG3?  I'm not sure anybody buys that at this point.

They can't cut him until he passes his physical, which I believe is scheduled to happen sometime in March. At least, I think that is the case.

I too would have cut RG3 once Cousins was named starter. Not sure why we didn't. Maybe McC wanted to swing a trade, and when nobody bit he decided since the option was already picked up may as well keep him in case Cousins completely falls apart.

For his sake I think Jets could actually be a pretty good landing spot.

1. Fitzpatrick has at most one year left and is a risk to get hurt at any time. Geno Smith is not even backup quality

2. They have 2 very good, tall Wrs in Marshall and Decker who can win jump balls

3. very good Rb in Ivory to take pressure off Griffin

He could end up starting as early as mid next season.. but sitting there for a year to learn from Fitzmagic wouldn't be a bad deal either.

.. but IMO - Griffin will never be a starter caliber QB in the NFL. He lacks football intelligence to read defenses and too slow in his progression reads which will always lead to a lot of sacks. With how fragile he is.. that’s a career killer

I completely agreed with this post about him going to the Jets being the best spot.

Then you just had to take the cheap shot, which the OP says not to do. Weak stuff.

He needs to be Stevev Young. I really believe that Young wouldn't have been young if he'd gone somewhere and tried to start right away.

Given that, I think the best situation is probably Arizona. Good coach, good scheme, established starter. KCeould be ok.

If Griffin wants to compete for a job, he takes a league minimum contract with SF.

Seriously, I think he might be able to beat put Gabbert and Kap. Not saying much, but in that offense, he might be able to figure it out.

The other thing is that he really should go to a stable, good organization. I wouldn't go to a freak-show like the Bills or an idiot coach like Fisher.

They can't cut him until he passes his physical, which I believe is scheduled to happen sometime in March. At least, I think that is the case.

I too would have cut RG3 once Cousins was named starter. Not sure why we didn't. Maybe McC wanted to swing a trade, and when nobody bit he decided since the option was already picked up may as well keep him in case Cousins completely falls apart.

I always wondered if ScottM and Jay pushed for the option, knowing it would be the card needed to force Dan and Bruce to go along with Kirk.

I mean they pushed the "confidence" thing, but coach and GM were clearly confident who was the best QB on the team.

During the last half of the year, I imagine it was Robert who didn't want to opt out of the option, once it was clear the only reason would be for a trade. He now controls his destination

Why would Houston be bad?  I think Houston is a great spot for RG3. They have a good defense, a premier wide out, and typically the run the ball well.  Plus, that division isn't scaring anyone.  Luck coming back will likely improve the Colts, but they weren't great with him and the other two teams are bad. 

What RG3 needs to avoid is a team like the Rams or 49ers. Bad teams in a strong division that needs him to work miracles for the team to have a chance at sniffing the playoffs.  Playing the Seahawks and Cardinals, great pass defenses, 4 times a year would not help him.  Neither of those organizations appear to be moving upwards right now. 

Why would Houston be bad?  I think Houston is a great spot for RG3. They have a good defense, a premier wide out, and typically the run the ball well.  Plus, that division isn't scaring anyone.  Luck coming back will likely improve the Colts, but they weren't great with him and the other two teams are bad. 

What RG3 needs to avoid is a team like the Rams or 49ers. Bad teams in a strong division that needs him to work miracles for the team to have a chance at sniffing the playoffs.  Playing the Seahawks and Cardinals, great pass defenses, 4 times a year would not help him.  Neither of those organizations appear to be moving upwards right now. 

IMO, there's a few problems with the Texans job - 

(1) He would lose to Brian Hoyer in a QB competition.  Hoyer may not be a guy that's going to be able to win you a shootout in the playoffs, but neither is Griffin.  Hoyer is a solid starting-caliber QB in this league - he's 14-13 over the past 3 seasons despite playing 16 of those games in Cleveland.  At one point in 2014, the Browns were 7-4.  They let him go and now they are 3-13.  Losing to Brian Hoyer may not be the death knell for RG3's career as a starting QB, but it would mean two years in a row that he lost open competitions (the competition was arguably not even open in DC but he still lost it) to QBs perceived as career journeyman talents.

(2) It's a team with playoff expectations.  RG3 can't deliver on that right now unless he goes full read option, Tyrod Taylor style.  And even then I don't think he could do it.  If he goes to a team with playoff expectations, he needs a few years to be groomed into the job.

I don't think RG3 loses to Hoyer, and I do think he goes to the Texans, but....the best place for him would be the Cards. Palmer is not going to recover from last night's meltdown. Remember how Delhomme and Theismann were never the same after getting humiliated like that in the postseason. Younger guys might get past it, but Palmer is toast. He will be the starter next season, but he won't finish that way. Arians is great at maximizing his QBs - the quarterback whisperer. Like Greg Roman, he's a guy who will adapt schemes to the talents of his QB. Fitzgerald would mentor him. And since he would sign as a backup/future starter, there wouldn't be the pressure nor the expectations of being a franchise saviour.

Buffalo. Tyrod Taylor tried to have an RG3 year and couldn't.  Rex Ryan has no aversions to divas, circuses and bright lights, and i don't believe that Taylor is absolutely the set in stone starter in Buffalo.

~Bang

Everyone here (Buffalo) thinks Taylor is the next coming of Jesus. 

The local media and callers to our local ESPN affiliate are insane. Before the game against the redskins, the talk was how much worse Cousins was than Tyrod. Now Cousins still isn't "great", but I'd take him hands down before Tyrod after seeing what both have done every single week all year.

He reminds me a lot of RG3 his first year with very similar stats and play calls, a bit less explosive though on his feet. Still can easily make the scramble runs hurt defenses though.

The issue is, since we saw it first hand, the handcuffing of the offense. The 1 Read, then Scramble or dump off. Only looking at half of the field before even bailing on a play. The concerning part is he's not a Rookie. He's sat behind Flacco in Baltimore for 3 years.

Either way, Rex Ryan hypes up Tyrod Taylor quite a bit, so I doubt he'll be coming up here in the wintry north.

IMO, there's a few problems with the Texans job - 

(1) He would lose to Brian Hoyer in a QB competition.  Hoyer may not be a guy that's going to be able to win you a shootout in the playoffs, but neither is Griffin.  Hoyer is a solid starting-caliber QB in this league - he's 14-13 over the past 3 seasons despite playing 16 of those games in Cleveland.  At one point in 2014, the Browns were 7-4.  They let him go and now they are 3-13.  Losing to Brian Hoyer may not be the death knell for RG3's career as a starting QB, but it would mean two years in a row that he lost open competitions (the competition was arguably not even open in DC but he still lost it) to QBs perceived as career journeyman talents.

I don't agree that Hoyer is solid starter and I don't find wins and losses a convincing argument for two reasons.  First, wins are a team stat no matter how much we'd like to pretend QBs do absolutely everything.  The second is that despite the Texans defense jumping from 16th to 3rd in the league from the previous season, the Texans won the same number of games (9).  Hoyer, barely managed to hold off Ryan Mallet and even Weeden managed to go 2-0 as a Texan.

If he can't beat out Hoyer, he's not a starter.  Now, I realize that his not being a starter is your opinion.  I'm not sure I disagree with you on that, but I think RG3 sees himself as a starter which is why I think he'd want to go to Houston.

(2) It's a team with playoff expectations.  RG3 can't deliver on that right now unless he goes full read option, Tyrod Taylor style.  And even then I don't think he could do it.  If he goes to a team with playoff expectations, he needs a few years to be groomed into the job.

Agreeing to join a team as a back up with no chance to start will look to the league like he's accepting that he's not a starter.  I don't think after spending a year on the bench RG3 is looking for another bench to warm.  He's going to want at least a chance at the starting job IMO. 

I think another question is, does a team take RG3 wanting him to go back to playing in a similar scheme that made him a star in 2012?

Robert has really yet to show that he can excel in another kind of system. I am not claiming he can't because I have no idea but if he ends up on a team that runs a more traditional style of offense/QB play then I don't think it is a shoe in he would be the starter.

I think San Francisco is intriguing because other than having a physical advantage over Robert as far as absorbing hits and punishment, Colin Kaepernick has never been better than RG3 as a QB yet showed that on the right kind of team that kind of scheme can still get the team to the Super Bowl. 

I think the best thing for RGIII would be to sign with the Chiefs.  Clock management aside Andy Reid is the best QB teacher in the NFL.  He shouldn't worry about going somewhere he can start, just go somewhere he can learn.  

My guess is he will end up with the Rams.

I think RG3 will be a Texan. It makes too much sense not to see him end up there. 

I'm for it if he goes to the Texans, it'll be in his hometown and he's out of the NFC completely. My only issue is him fitting in the system. Cards definitely make sense after Sundays game.

the CFL? Have you all seen how bad some of this leagues QBs are? Its hard to imagine there won't be a market for griffin.

Yea that's ludicrous to think that he's that bad that he won't land anywhere. There are a handful of teams who are on an RG3 watch in the offseason.

Don't have a clue where he will land. It will be interesting to see who goes after him. Many teams need a good Qb or solid back up. I respect RG3 for how he handled this past year. It could have been another media dumpster fire. Whether it's the NFL, CFL or DWTS I wish him all the best.

Archived