Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential Landing Spots For RG3

Gizmo 3squire

The teams in the CFL that need QBs are Saskatchewan Roughriders, Ottawa Red Blacks and Hamilton Tiger Cats. Honestly I think we may see him on one of those squads.

:lol: Come on now, I don't hold out high hopes for Griffin's future success, but he's absolutely going to be in the NFL next year. This is just silly.

:lol: Come on now, I don't hold out high hopes for Griffin's future success, but he's absolutely going to be in the NFL next year. This is just silly.

I am not trying to turn this into a bashing thread by any means, but I have to ask, why is that silly?  Besides one season, four years ago before he wrecked his knee for the second time, and a season that he didn't run a pro-style offense, what has Griffin shown that says he is a capable NFL QB?  He has shown that without his legs, he isn't much in the way of a QB at this level.  He is slow at making decisions, especially if there is more than one read involved, he can't read a defense, can't call the right protections, he's injury prone, and he still hasn't even learned how to slide.  If you take out the one season where he was playing in a gimmick offense, what has he shown that should make GM's and coaches around the league think he is worth taking a flier on?

First Take had a good segment on this today, luckily today were all subs so it had more substance than normal.

I've waited to comment on this subject to avoid looking eager to squash potential dreams of his, namely Dallas.  My dad follows local Cowboys radio type stuff pretty well so he has been telling me for awhile that there was definitely no emphatic interest in RG3.  They've wanted Manziel as their glamour backup for awhile, and even still might (because they think he will be even cheaper lol) even after this most recent disastrous event.

So anyways, the 3 guys on today (I think I know 2 by name, Freddie Coleman and Jorge Sedano, the other guy has been there only a handful of times) all agreed about the pressure, negatives, media, fallout in failure, and whatnot about Dallas for both sides of the marriage.  Like, you couldn't pick a worse place to go even if the second worst had a roster of 52 punters.  RG3 failing at both his draft team and that team's arch rival to "stick it to them" would be disastrous for both he and the cowboys, but he moreso, since he will always been in the spotlight as a former Heisman winner and legend at his school. 

Essentially they think that the best spots are Houston, San Fran, and KC.  Pretty much in line with whatever most people think here, as well as L.A. and Denver to various degrees.

O'Brien as the QB guru on elite D team, San Fran the Chip/Kaep synergy, KC for Reid/Smith/Offense synergy and D. 

I agree that L.A. could be a nice fit in terms of the whole Elite D with some O talent around him thing, but I echo Fisher's lack of patience when dealing with QBs as a legit pitfall and then Denver I moderately disagree they even want him because of the former Shanahan (yet still substantial) connection but moreso I'm not sure Elway is going to want a Cowboys-esque level distraction, although this reason is mostly because they are defending SB champs. 

See, I wish RG3 would truly understand that he really needs to learn from someone that REALLY knows what they are doing.  I think the absolute place for him to go is New Orleans.  A 1-2-3 year internship under someone like Brees, would make him really buckle down and master everything starting with the smallest stuff, and then having a guy like Payton who would probably get reinvigorated himself, and honestly Brees might too.  I know Brees wouldn't like it at first, but he seems like the type that would be gracious about it and actually be helpful, and he's already a HOF level player so unless RG3 becomes Steve Young-like, RG3 is not going to push Brees for a spot until they both deserved that, perhaps similar to Peyton level stats this year (since I know injuries were the real impetus for his benching but stats that poor) with Brock coming in.  And Brees might be half a decade away from that if he can avoid serious injuries. 

The other place I think is a great spot to develop is Pittsburgh.  I hate pittsburgh, but Ben isn't going to get rattled by RG3 behind him and they run a tight and begrudgingly great ship there historically, I think that's where he'd be the smallest "distraction" in media terms of any place. 

The other place I think is a great spot to develop is Pittsburgh.  I hate pittsburgh, but Ben isn't going to get rattled by RG3 behind him and they run a tight and begrudgingly great ship there historically, I think that's where he'd be the smallest "distraction" in media terms of any place. 

I never thought about Pittsburgh, but that makes a lot of sense.

Not necessarily. If he really, really wants to start right away, and he wants a failure-friendly environment in which to build his stock back up, the CFL could do it. If he gets a better offer to go there, he might. Just ask Joe Thiesmann.

Not necessarily. If he really, really wants to start right away, and he wants a failure-friendly environment in which to build his stock back up, the CFL could do it. If he gets a better offer to go there, he might. Just ask Joe Thiesmann.

Well assuming that starting is an absolute requirement for him, I agree. I don't think it is though.

Any NFL team that offers him a chance to start in 2016 is a team that he probably would not be successful with. He needs a good team around him. And he needs time.

For the record, I don't think it works out for him in the NFL. His next stop may be his last.

I completely forgot about New Orleans. That's definitely worth looking at.

I'm still holding firm with HOU, SF, KC or LA (even though he should be worried about the idea of Fisher) HOU would be phenomenal. Even though he's no longer a Redskin, I will still root for his success, even more if he's in the AFC. He's a good dude.

RG3 must be off the books by 3:59 pm on March 9. The clock is ticking, less than five days to go.

There are reports today that at least 10 teams are interested, even to the point that there is some grumbling about tampering.

So, the best outcome for the Redskins is if teams like the Eagles and Cowboys are caught tampering and penalized 1st round picks.

any word so far on who's bringing him in for a workout or a meeting or anything? would love to have this thread be the one for updates on that.

I don't expect Griffin to have anyone rushing to have him in for a visit, to be honest. He'll get interest and his agent will be getting calls, but I think most decision makers around the NFL feel he's not gonna be plucked off the free agency vine right away, so they have time.

I can see Denver by default due to limited options available with starting experience.

There is a very real possibility they lose Osw and trading for Kap is risky as well.

Bring in RG3 and make it compete for the starting job

If I'm Griffin I'm taking whatever deal Denver is willing to make. That defense would bail him out plenty while he adjusted to being the QB he wants to be (and I'd assume Denver would want him to be)

Of course most players seem to care most about money, and are very confident in their ability. So he probably doesn't look at it that way (not a knock on him specifically I think that's probably majority of the league.)

It seems to say a lot about how Griffin is seen around the NFL that the Broncos would rather give up draft picks in a deal to get Kaepernick from the 49ers, rather than sign Griffin free and clear(zero draft picks given up).

He could still end up in Denver, but we'll see.

I have been as critical of his play as anyone, maybe more so, but I am genuinely surprised the guy hasn't been signed yet

I mean, the Broncos are trying to trade for Kap. That's bizarre imo

Maybe he is worse than we think he is

Archived