Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can you imagine The Redskins relocating?

Rattlesnake88

Breaking news tonight the Rams have relocated to LA http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14558668/st-louis-rams-relocate-los-angeles

I feel sad for St. Louis and couldn't help but ask the question. What if that was my team? Would I follow them still?

I would say no. It would be heartbreaking and I would be devastated. However I know their governer and fans put up a fight not to lose them. I have been a skins fan my whole life and while I know our fanbase is much larger in comparison to the St. Louis Rams you know there are still young lifelong fans who are empty right now. How do the players feel? How would our players feel? Would we feel abandoned if our players tweeted excitement? Very surreal feeling I am sure.

After the Browns were allowed to move; any team can move.  Even the Redskins.

I have no problem with the Rams returning to LA. 

Cleveland to LA to St Louis to LA.  LA is where they spent 50 years. Only 21 in St. Louis.

If the JAgs don't go to London, I can see St. Louis getting the Jags eventually.

Breaking news tonight the Rams have relocated to LA http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14558668/st-louis-rams-relocate-los-angeles

I feel sad for St. Louis and couldn't help but ask the question. What if that was my team? Would I follow them still?

I would say no. It would be heartbreaking and I would be devastated. However I know their governer and fans put up a fight not to lose them. I have been a skins fan my whole life and while I know our fanbase is much larger in comparison to the St. Louis Rams you know there are still young lifelong fans who are empty right now. How do the players feel? How would our players feel? Would we feel abandoned if our players tweeted excitement? Very surreal feeling I am sure.

It's likely that San Diego is also moving to LA. They have some stuff to get worked out to move sooner rather than later.

Edit: Apparently they have the option to move but need to make a deal with the Rams. It's not as clear for them.

I can't even handle the thought of the name being changed let alone moving. I feel so sorry for fans who wanted football to stay in STL.

I think in the long run the caught a break not having to use taxpayer money to update the stadium.  When the Rams came there was some sort of 20 year out-clause that required the Rams to have a stadium that's in the top 5 or top 10 in the NFL.  I heard that when Jerry World opened, it was really bad for the Rams because they were going to have spend more on their stadium since the price of top 5 or top 10 stadium increased so much. 

St. Louis is a baseball and hockey town.  They kinda like the Rams, but they like the Cardinals, Blues, whoever is playing the Cubs, Mizzou football and basketball if they are having a good year, and trout fishing more.

Other than the 2 Super Bowls they have had maybe 5 winning season in St. Louis.

It's not going to happen. I, too, feel bad for Rams fans, though I keep in mind Missouri basically has two teams (Rams and Chiefs). There are three times as many people in the LA metropolitan area then the entire state of Missouri. DC is such a large market itself that its really hard to make a "greener pastures" argument.

It's a bizarre situation for a fan no doubt.

I get asked all the time, "What will you do if the Redskins change their name?".

A buddy of mine, a huge Chargers fan gets asked all the time, "What will you do if the Chargers relocate?".  The answer to this is sure approaching fast.

Being from Canada, even though we're life long fans of our respective teams, we're obviously not tied to the city, we're tied to the team.  But either way it still is tough.

The 'skins would probably lose me if they left the city. I root for the team, but part of that identity is definitely rooted in community. It's kind of why I feel comfortable saying "we" and "us." They're the Washington Redskins and I'm a Washingtonian. You root for the home team.

It's not that simple of course, but I'd feel big time betrayed if they left. Worse, if it happened like with the Browns. Those fans supported their team. The Dog Pound was ravenous. They gave their team their all even though they'd been going through a long, long dry spell.

On a side note, one way I said in a different thread you could tell we didn't "lose" the trade is four years later: we made the playoffs, feel excited as a fan base, and think well of our coach and team while the Rams still are sub .500 and lost fan support to the degree that moving the team seemed the viable/preferred option. Hard to call the Rams winners in any way right now.

DC is a big enough and moneyed enough market for there to always be a football team here.  Baltimore didn't have a team for a while, but the market just up 95 was large enough to add one, so there's no real threat of not utilizing that market.

Plus, at this point, it'd be upending 80+ years of history.  Even if we're bad now, that just doesn't happen, it'd be like moving Da Bears.

I'd follow them, at least for a while.  They'd be my primary team until a new DC team came about, and thereafter, whichever team got to keep the history, primarily Gibbs, I'd probably follow more closely, but I'd still lend support to the DC team even if they lost the history.

I just ask that if they move the Redskins, and THEN add another DC team, please put one of them in the AFC so I can root for both without having too many problems.

But yeah, not happening either way.

You can't blame the fans in St. Louis for this move. There's a generation of young people who grew up in StL, between the ages of 20-35, who lived through the Rams glory as youth. Those fans will always have emotional ties to Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Dick Vermeil, and that magical SB run of 1999. I don't care if StL is America's best baseball town, or a good hockey stop. It doesn't bother me that they've lost two NFL teams who only stayed for a few decades each. Rams fans in general lost their team for a 3rd time, and that makes me sad. 

Now that LA is occupied again, I see zero chance of us moving within the next decade. I once suspected Snyder's involvement with Six Flags was a back door land grab for potential stadium sites in LA and Largo. Think leverage folks. But that's now ancient history. 

You can never say never when it comes to franchise relo. The Colts and the Dodgers were NEVER teams. Each franchise made the correct business decision to relocate when they did. It always come$ down to the money. 

Don't you just guys love how the NFL is "allowing" the Rams to relocate? Not forcing no no no. Just allowing them to. I Hate Goodell. That is all.

He wants to move so bad he is paying the League a $550M relocation fee. I know the guy owns the team, but this really hurts the fans.

To the OPs point, I remember when the Senators left DC. I devastated. I lost all interest in baseball, especially since they moved to Texas!!  I realize it was Arlington not dallast (yes I was already a Skins fan and hated dallast), but in my 10 y/o mind they might as well have been the same. Not to mention there was no way I would ever get to a game!

If the Skins left I am not sure what I would do. I would be numb. I am already having a real hard time dealing with them playing game in England! Sorry to our friends in Britain, but American football should be played in America!  It's not like Arsenal is looking to play a game or 2 in the US!   :)  ;)  :P

First of all, it's not going to happen. The Redskins will be in Washington until football declines in popularity.

If they did move, I would be devastated. I didn't cheer for the Rangers when the Senators moved to Texas of all places. I hated them for betraying the fans. The feeling would be similar to dealing with an unfaithful spouse. Love can turn into hate very quickly.

I grew up in the DMV. My fandom spawned from my family following the team since they first arrived here from Boston. The Redskins feel like family to me because they are DC based. I don't think I could cheer for them if they moved.

I thought about this after reading the OP. We have the most sustainable team in the league. The Federal Government ensures a solid local economy. Even when the team is not popular, the stadium is sustainable because there are so many transplants. I would argue there isn't a team LESS likely to move.

I feel badly for the fans in St. Louis . They did support the team, even when it was playing badly -- which outside of the Warner years, was most of the time. And they made a good effort to retain the team, even though the new owner's greed was showing through the whole time.

Stuff l like this makes me wonder about all the lip-service NFL owners give to their so-called loyalty to and special bonds with the folks of cities supporting their NFL franchises. In the end, they should just be honest -- and admit they're no different than any other mercenary business, looking for the best deal they can get. Essentially, each time the NFL does this kind of thing, it's another incident that they will likely use to strengthen their negotiating position in sweetening their deals with their current host city's authorities.

But unlike other businesses, St. Louis can't bring in another franchise to replace the Rams ....until the NFL 'approves'. And maybe that's more evidence why we might want to start paying more attention to those sayng the NFL is essentially a powerful, colluding cartel that really should be subject to more anti-trust enforcement, at least in the area of consumer rights.

Sorry to get on a soap-box like this, but this kind of thing sets me off. And makes me realize even more, what an overpaid tool Goodell is.

I know quite a few people in St. Louis and even some of the ones who loved the Rams the most were getting sick of Kroenke's demands.  I don't think any city should be ponying up the kind of money that the NFL demands.

The most bizarre part of this whole Los Angeles relocation saga was that from the beginning, the three teams knew that only two of them would get to move, so it was imperative they each trash their current situation as much as possible to make themselves one of the two most compelling cases.  In the end though, that means one team has to go back to their current situation with their tail between their legs and try to win back the fan base they just thoroughly dissed.  That looks like it'll be the Raiders (who thoroughly deserve it IMO).

We are absolutely one of the least likely teams to move. Regardless of our past 23 years of mediocrity at best, few teams in any sport have as rich a tradition as the Washington Redskins. Add to the fact that our owner grew up a fan while living his whole life in the DC area and the chances of the Skins ever relocating are zero. As remote the chance of Snyder ever selling the team, I truly believe he would sell before he moved them elsewhere.

A lifelong Rams fan is like 20. Different situations. The Redskins are an institution in the DC area. No matter how bad the brand/on field product gets, the Redskins enjoy massive support and remain one of the most valuable entities in world major revenue pro sports. The optimism and homerism of our fanbase astounds me sometimes. We just won our awful division at 9-7 after two of the worst and most demoralizing seasons in franchise history and there were many fans around here convinced we were going to make a deep playoff run. The team is well-anchored to the market.

When I used to play Madden I always moved them to Vegas.

Lost Wages Fun Devils. Black and bright green with a spider as the logo.

We're pretty bad ass. Won a lot of championships

When I used to play Madden I always moved them to Vegas.

Lost Wages Fun Devils. Black and bright green with a spider as the logo.

We're pretty bad ass. Won a lot of championships

Archived