Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can you imagine The Redskins relocating?

Rattlesnake88

I'm from Philly and accidentally became a Skins fan, due to a miscommunication with my Zedo.

Skins Boys game, I ask who to cheer for, he says against the Cowboys. I was about 6. What did I know?

Sure dodged a bullet there. Almost grew up an Eagles fan.

I quit the NFL the year Vick came back. Now Cousins is fostering dogs. That worked out.

There is so much to not like about the league and the game anymore. I wish I could stop giving a **** about it.

This board probably means as much to me as the team anymore.

Yea a lot of the rule changes have been a turn off, a long with the way they are/ or are not enforced. I think some "judgement calls" should be reviewable.

Question, what is a Zedo?

Happy for your confusion that day and ultimate Redskins fandom.

After moving down Florida with my parents in 1980, I always felt that the only connection to the D.C. area has been the Skins, Bullets/Wizards and Capitals(the teams I grew ups with). If one of those teams then chances are I won't follow them where ever they go.

But with that being said, I think Washington is safe. The market is too big for any of these teams to falter. 

You

A lifelong Rams fan is like 20. Different situations. The Redskins are an institution in the DC area. No matter how bad the brand/on field product gets, the Redskins enjoy massive support and remain one of the most valuable entities in world major revenue pro sports. The optimism and homerism of our fanbase astounds me sometimes. We just won our awful division at 9-7 after two of the worst and most demoralizing seasons in franchise history and there were many fans around here convinced we were going to make a deep playoff run. The team is well-anchored to the market.

You mean a lifelong "St Louis" Rams fan, right?

How will you MD/DC fans feel when the team moves to Richmond?

Will it matter if we are called the Richmond Redskins or the Washington Redskins?

That would be a laugh. :)

The morons that run things here in Richmond can't even figure where to put a small stadium for the local baseball team, the 'Flying Squirrels'.

Their tiny minds would probably explode if they had to figure out where to build a stadium for the Redskins. :)

I have to imagine, with the history and love affair Washington's had with the team since the FDR administration, that if the team moved, it wouldn't be without riots and/or an attempt to financially (or, God forbid, physically) harm the team's owner and any other parties that made it possible.

But with that being said, I think Washington is safe. The market is too big for any of these teams to falter. 

True.

A good example of that is the arrival of the Baltimore Ravens. They have been the better team over the last decade, but the Redskins still dominate the area. Just look at how the mid-Atlantic lit up for at least a couple of weeks when the Redskins were NFC East champs and playing in a playoff game.

The Ravens wished the area showed them that kind of love. :)

True.

A good example of that is the arrival of the Baltimore Ravens. They have been the better team over the last decade, but the Redskins still dominate the area. Just look at how the mid-Atlantic lit up for at least a couple of weeks when the Redskins were NFC East champs and playing in a playoff game.

The Ravens wished the area showed them that kind of love. :)

That's because their fans are more fairweather. I remember the rare losing seasons they would have (like 2015 or 2007) and everybody would threaten to jump ship. Think the 1988 Redskins season under Joe Gibbs. Doubtful people were calling for Joe's head or threatening to give up their decades-long waiting list season tickets at RFK. I was listening to 105.7 the Fan in Baltimore after they lost to the Seahawks and the radio hosts and callers all wanted to see Harbaugh fired. I grew up in Baltimore but became a Redskins fan partially because of their fanbase.

The Redskins do have a considerable amount of people who were former fans who now root for other teams but that was only after 20 years of mostly bad football.

That's because their fans are more fairweather. I remember the rare losing seasons they would have (like 2015 or 2007) and everybody would threaten to jump ship. Think the 1988 Redskins season under Joe Gibbs. Doubtful people were calling for Joe's head or threatening to give up their decades-long waiting list season tickets at RFK. I was listening to 105.7 the Fan in Baltimore after they lost to the Seahawks and the radio hosts and callers all wanted to see Harbaugh fired. I grew up in Baltimore but became a Redskins fan partially because of their fanbase.

The Redskins do have a considerable amount of people who were former fans who now root for other teams but that was only after 20 years of mostly bad football.

Haven't people reported that there were chants of "Joe Must Go" at RFK in the late 1980s?

Edit: Here's an old ES thread talking about a "Joe Must Go" chant at FedEx after the "double-timeout" fiasco......but I remember folks mentioning that it happened at RFK at one point as well:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/215862-joe-must-go-chant-at-the-end-of-the-game-today/

For all of you 'young whipper-snappers', it was a much different alignment in the NFL.

Seattle, of all teams, were in the AFC West; imagine if that had held true, we may have gone to the SB in 2012 !

The league was 3 groups; East, Central, and West for AFC and NFC, with a 4-team division in the AFC Central and NFC West. As kids my friends and I wondered if they would ever add a team to those areas to even things out, but they went a whole different route.

The Redskins are one of the oldest teams in the league, chronologically speaking, and others like the Packers, Bears, and giants, were 'th' old farts' of the league. The Redskins being originally from Boston and called the Boston Braves, then moved to D.C., then later in time a team was placed there called the New England Patriots, so in a way, our younger brother has been dominating the league over the last 15 years.

for the Redskins to move, the bottom would literately have to fall out, and I doubt that would happen, especially with Snyder as the owner, who loves this team more than many give him credit for. He's knocked down problems with the team name and fought off other attacks, and it would take him selling the team to a bunch of wealthy Saudis who could care less where they moved to for this team to be re-located.

The only way this team moves is if the ocean levels rise too high and flood the East coast, and I don't see that happening anytime soon, but that's another topic on another issue that I could care less on commenting on.

With the revenue sharing, the Jags moving to St. Louis would make no sense.  At best, it would be a swap on attendance/revenue, but likely a loss.  What would the point in moving them there accomplish?  Give a city that doesn't support their team another bad team to not support?

I personally am for the Jags moving to St. Louis. I do see your argument, I just think it's better from a league standpoint because the NFL has some history there unlike in Jacksonville. They have London games almost annually because it's so tough to keep the team afloat financially. Plus Jacksonville is a college football town, and the other two Florida teams (Bucs and Dolphins) who are more established, might get a boost.

I think where St. Louis shot itself in the foot is where they unabashedly stole a team that a.) the NFL didn't want to see move in the first place, and b.) not having the name changed and history left in L.A. Baltimore, upon taking the Browns from Cleveland, did it right. An expansion or another relocated team could've filled the L.A void and taken the Rams history and St. Louis probably would've been spared. The NFL probably would've worked with the community to get a new stadium for the St. Louis Whatevers instead of helping the Rams grease the wheels for moving. Now they face the possibility of never having the NFL again.

I personally am for the Jags moving to St. Louis. I do see your argument, I just think it's better from a league standpoint because the NFL has some history there unlike in Jacksonville. They have London games almost annually because it's so tough to keep the team afloat financially. Plus Jacksonville is a college football town, and the other two Florida teams (Bucs and Dolphins) who are more established, might get a boost.

That's going to turn into a hot rumor at some point.  Shahid Khan, (Jags owner) originally tried to buy the Rams when Kroenke bought them, and he has closer ties to StL than Jacksonville.  To his credit though, he's been commited to making the Jacksonville situation wrk.

Please come to OC, CA LOL.

Not.

If St. Louis offers the Jags the same new stadium deal they were going to give the Rams, could Kahn turn that down?

Jacksonville is just a turd market all around.  We have a client there and it's still like they are in the Depression.

Random fact:  The Redskins were the Rams last opponent in Los Angeles: http://articles.latimes.com/1994-12-25/sports/sp-12914_1_anaheim-stadium

I vaguely remember a Christmas Eve game in LA in the mid-90s, but I always mentally placed it a season later-- part of the 3-1 finish to end up 6-10 a year later.

Warning: The name 'Norv Turner' appears in the article.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

hell worse question would be what if the Redskins relocate and in 5 years another team comes to DC.  talk about being conflicted in the worse possible way.  Thank God that will never happen as this area has an awesome fan base and Synder is raking in the bucks even with a mostly horrible team.  Can you imagine when we start winning.  Better said can you imagine starting next year when we will be kicking ass?  He will start installing seats in FEDEX again..lol

Archived