Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can you imagine The Redskins relocating?

Rattlesnake88

Considering that I'd assume a Redskins relocation would necessitate a name change, I don't see how I could root for the Las Vegas Bandits, Oklahoma City Lightning, London Loos, Mexico City somethings or whomever....there would be zero attachment to the community or tradition for me and I wouldn't be able to associate any memories of old glory with the new team - only bitter pain over a break-up.

And the NFL would just suck without a real rooting interest. I wouldn't sit around wasting most of my Sunday watching hours of commercials and a little actual gameplay, 

A lifelong Rams fan is like 20. Different situations. The Redskins are an institution in the DC area. No matter how bad the brand/on field product gets, the Redskins enjoy massive support and remain one of the most valuable entities in world major revenue pro sports. The optimism and homerism of our fanbase astounds me sometimes. We just won our awful division at 9-7 after two of the worst and most demoralizing seasons in franchise history and there were many fans around here convinced we were going to make a deep playoff run. The team is well-anchored to the market.

All points here are valid and I meant for this to be purely hypothetical.

I can imagine rapper Nelly adding another band aid to his cheek :,(

I can not imagine that especially with this price tag attached to such a move....

The fee to move a team is $550 million. Kroenke has the option to either pay that all at once or with 10 annual installments of $64 million, but a source told ESPN's Jim Trotter that Kroenke will pay it in a lump sum.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14558668/st-louis-rams-relocate-los-angeles

What makes it messed up for me is the big ass hole its going to put in the economy there. As a fan i could get over it. My life wouldn't end but i would probably not watch football ever out of hurt (seriously, i would be pretty sad)

But imagine the folks who arent qualified enough to do anything else but work in that stadium. They will be out of jobs. Thats whats sad to me. Its doesn't stop there either. Every business near that stadium will take a hit in some form. Its unfortunate. 

As a non local fan it would not make a difference to me.  I have been to two games partially because I'm close enough, but I would follow the team anywhere it went.  Unless the departure was Modellesque.  I don't think Kroenkes departure is bad enough from a relationship standpoint to the former city that as a non local fan it would change my view of the team. Bad, but not that bad I'd lose the love for the team. 

If the JAgs don't go to London, I can see St. Louis getting the Jags eventually.

It's doubtful the NFL is going to put another team in St. Louis anytime in the foreseeable future.They've already gained and lost 2 teams. The fans might love the Rams there, but the market is obviously unstable in St. Louis. If another team moves, or another expansion team is added, I think they'll be in a different city.

Also lol@ the Raiders. They come out as having drawn the short straw. The Chargers can chose to move in with the Rams if they like. Also, Qualcomm, while aging, is still a decent venue. Oakland still shares an old stadium with the A's, and their lease is up.

Absolutely I would follow them unless they pulled a Browns and became a different team altogether.

My team is my team regardless of where I am or where they are.  Hell, they could swap places/owners/rosters/everything with the Cowboys and they'd STILL be my team as long as they have the colors.

Remember when some of us were begging Snyder to move the team to LA so we could get an expansion team ala the Cleveland Browns of 1999?

Yes I do.

No disrespect or contentio usness intended, but noone was begging. It was submitted as a hypothetical poll by yours truly, essentially to allow all of us to gauge to what lengths we would be willing to suffer in order to get rid of Snyder.

I would not be a fan of the Inglewood Redskins. I'm a DMV native, and that's why I root for them.  Oh, I would try to follow them for a season or two.  But my interest would fade, and I would come to resent them and their flaky, flighty West Coast fans.. Eventually, out of bitterness, I would actively hope that the entire NFL is forced to fold because of the accumulation of courtroom losses in concussion lawsuits.

Then my Sundays would be free.  I might even start going back to church.  Or not.

After the Browns were allowed to move; any team can move.  Even the Redskins.

I have no problem with the Rams returning to LA. 

Cleveland to LA to St Louis to LA.  LA is where they spent 50 years. Only 21 in St. Louis.

If the JAgs don't go to London, I can see St. Louis getting the Jags eventually.

Why would the Jags move to a worse market they are already in?  The Jags have had better attendance than the Rams the past decade with exception to one season (iirc), they aren't always at the bottom like the Rams, granted they are not much higher.

With the revenue sharing, the Jags moving to St. Louis would make no sense.  At best, it would be a swap on attendance/revenue, but likely a loss.  What would the point in moving them there accomplish?  Give a city that doesn't support their team another bad team to not support?

What makes it messed up for me is the big ass hole its going to put in the economy there. As a fan i could get over it. My life wouldn't end but i would probably not watch football ever out of hurt (seriously, i would be pretty sad)

But imagine the folks who arent qualified enough to do anything else but work in that stadium. They will be out of jobs. Thats whats sad to me. Its doesn't stop there either. Every business near that stadium will take a hit in some form. Its unfortunate. 

The stadium is still there, so unless they don't hold any other events besides NFL football games, then nobody will be out of a job, except part-time people that work only the NFL games.

NFL is only 8 games a year, most of those jobs, iirc are part-time and minimum wage.  There are full-time and part-time jobs at the stadiums for all events (sports, concerts, etc.), it's not just limited to the NFL.

So, if working only NFL games 8 days a year is one's only job, then yeah, they will be out work.  

Edit:  There are other team jobs that might go away, but I don't think it's in the capacity that people think it is.  So any full-time/part-time team specific jobs that are year round, yes, it's sad anyone is going to lose their job.  

I've been a St. Louisan for the last 12 years... not sure how there's going to be a hole in the economy. Its 10 games a year, 2 of them they cant fill 25% of the stadium and the other 8 don't fill much more than 75% of the stadium. 

The current stadium is still being paid for by taxpayers and the new one would have too. 

This town isn't a football town and honestly despite a small contingent of die hards, they don't deserve to have a football team here and the market isn't large enough. 

The stadium is still there, so unless they don't hold any other events besides NFL football games, then nobody will be out of a job, except part-time people that work only the NFL games.

NFL is only 8 games a year, most of those jobs, iirc are part-time and minimum wage.  There are full-time and part-time jobs at the stadiums for all events (sports, concerts, etc.), it's not just limited to the NFL.

So, if working only NFL games 8 days a year is one's only job, then yeah, they will be out work.  

Edit:  There are other team jobs that might go away, but I don't think it's in the capacity that people think it is.  So any full-time/part-time team specific jobs that are year round, yes, it's sad anyone is going to lose their job.  

The convention center is attached and they have things like car and large bridal shows. It gets used for other things.

How will you MD/DC fans feel when the team moves to Richmond?

Will it matter if we are called the Richmond Redskins or the Washington Redskins?

In homage to the city's rich tobacco history, the team will be renamed the "Richmond Hacking Coughs."

He wants to move so bad he is paying the League a $550M relocation fee. I know the guy owns the team, but this really hurts the fans.

To the OPs point, I remember when the Senators left DC. I devastated. I lost all interest in baseball, especially since they moved to Texas!! I realize it was Arlington not dallast (yes I was already a Skins fan and hated dallast), but in my 10 y/o mind they might as well have been the same. Not to mention there was no way I would ever get to a game!

If the Skins left I am not sure what I would do. I would be numb. I am already having a real hard time dealing with them playing game in England! Sorry to our friends in Britain, but American football should be played in America! It's not like Arsenal is looking to play a game or 2 in the US! :);):P

Oh. My bad. I honestly thought they were being forced to go. :D I'll try to pay more attention next time.

He wants to move so bad he is paying the League a $550M relocation fee. I know the guy owns the team, but this really hurts the fans.

To the OPs point, I remember when the Senators left DC. I devastated. I lost all interest in baseball, especially since they moved to Texas!! I realize it was Arlington not dallast (yes I was already a Skins fan and hated dallast), but in my 10 y/o mind they might as well have been the same. Not to mention there was no way I would ever get to a game!

If the Skins left I am not sure what I would do. I would be numb. I am already having a real hard time dealing with them playing game in England! Sorry to our friends in Britain, but American football should be played in America! It's not like Arsenal is looking to play a game or 2 in the US! :);):P

Oh. My bad. I honestly thought they were being forced to go. :D I'll try to pay more attention next time.

When I used to play Madden I always moved them to Vegas.

Lost Wages Fun Devils. Black and bright green with a spider as the logo.

We're pretty bad ass. Won a lot of championships

If they move to Vegas I'll support them. Otherwise, I'd probably lose interest in the NFL in general.

What is more interesting to me is: if the Skins left, how easily would you be able to embrace an expansion franchise coming to the DC area? Would it be as easy as when the Nats showed up as a relocated baseball team, or would it be different?

How will you MD/DC fans feel when the team moves to Richmond?

Will it matter if we are called the Richmond Redskins or the Washington Redskins?

They probably wouldn't be too happy about it, but they don't have to worry about it, because it will never happen.

Personally though, driving five miles to the stadium would be great for me.

I'm from Philly and accidentally became a Skins fan, due to a miscommunication with my Zedo.

Skins Boys game, I ask who to cheer for, he says against the Cowboys. I was about 6. What did I know?

Sure dodged a bullet there. Almost grew up an Eagles fan.

I quit the NFL the year Vick came back. Now Cousins is fostering dogs. That worked out.

There is so much to not like about the league and the game anymore. I wish I could stop giving a **** about it.

This board probably means as much to me as the team anymore.

I don't know if I would continue on as a fan or not. I have no real affiliation with the team. I haven;t even been to DC. If the name changes or if the team was to move I'd probably move on.

The problem is I really don't know who I would root for. There's no other team I even really remotely like. Maybe I would finally find a life on Sundays between 11 and 230.

Archived