Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - Cowboys at #Redskins

JimmiJo

Why would you be banned for this?

'cause you never know when you speak up the truth. I've watched football & the Redskins for almost 40 yrs so I know a thing or two about the games. I don't know much about X&O like you guys, but I know when the game was fixed. FYI I never bet a single game in my entire life and I just gave up my STH.

I can imagine how hard is to be a QB for the NFL but if the coaches still treating Cousins like little child playing with big boys with 3-5 yds.passes that's all he will be. And I know he's not the answer.

I suspect the coaches still running for 3-4 yds. time after time because they don't trust Cousin like they said every week, don't get me wrong I like the guy but the only time I saw him with confidence and fire in his eyes was the time he shout: What about that??? or something like that after the Bucs game (?).

We run for like 2.8 YPC most weeks, on a huge sample size. Nevermind the drops and penalties that have nothing to do with him. We're lucky Cousins plays as well as he does. He would thrive in better circumstances, and that's what McCloughan will provide.

4 games sorry✌.

Point still holds true. We are right in the mix with a shot at the division w/ 4 games left. It's not kool-aid. This team is exactly where it's supposed to be. We aren't that good yet. We are 5-7. I understand the FAN in lots of us takes over and we begin to believe and expect things but the reality is we are a Work In Progress. I think 7-9 or 8-8 would be a few steps forward if u asked me at the beginning of the season.

To win the division skins have to beat the Bears, Eagles and Cowboys. They do that they will win the division. Maybe they could swap the Bears and Bills game, but for tie breakers they need the NFC win a lot more than an AFC win. Doing that would force the Giants to have win out which is doubtful and beating the Eagles would ensure we end tied with them at worst and remaining wins against Eagles and Cowboys would give us the tie breaker and best division record at 4-2. That's really the only way to the title other than going 4-0. Maybe they could lose to both the Bears and Bills, but doubtful and would be banking on Giants and Eagles both losing 2 games. A loss the the Eagles or Cowboys and its lights out.

This team isn't ready for the playoffs and division championships, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to make it even if it probably meant a 4th straight playoff loss to the Seahawks. I also agree with you, as pissed off and annoyed as I am right now.... If you had told me in August the Redskins would control their own destiny to win the division with 4 games left to play I would have taken it very happily. Especially since our route into the postseason has included a 4+ game win streak to end the season the last few times we have been in the postseason. We go into Sunday in Chicago knowing that a win puts us a little bit closer to the postseason regardless what anyone else does and meaningful December games was exceeding preseason expectations for many of us.

We run for like 2.8 YPC most weeks, on a huge sample size. Nevermind the drops and penalties that have nothing to do with him. We're lucky Cousins plays as well as he does. He would thrive in better circumstances, and that's what McCloughan will provide.

I hope so and of course I want he get better.

I found funny and strange at the same time Mcvay doesn't call a screen pass, maybe I don't see it when I went to the kitchen 3 or 4 times.

I hope so and of course I want he get better.

I found funny and strange at the same time Mcvay doesn't call a screen pass, maybe I don't see it when I went to the kitchen 3 or 4 times.

Tried two. One jones caught on a 3/14 but failed to make LB miss. The other, Ribs was down field early. You are right

Crowder almost busted a WR screen. Still hated the call because we rely on winning a match up well short of the sticks.

This game was lost to me on the two one yard runs by jones at the 20.  Just terrible play calling.  Entirely too conservative.   In a game this tight.  A touchdown could decide it.  Go for it on second and third with aggressive passing. Jay and Sean sat on the ball.  Just unbelievable.  So much so I had to call my long time Redskin college mate and vent.  Two back to back run yard runs in the situation is sitting on the ball.  They did the same thing in the Atl.  Game.  And that wide receiver screen has been snuffed twice.  Its way too passive offensive play calling in my book. To me the game was lost there. 

Dallas never figured out the boot. 

I put the Atlanta loss and this loss squarely on the coaches and play calling.  NOT GOING FOR THE JUGGLAR.    I was livid with those two back to back runs.  This forcing the run issue is not working.  It's clearly not playing to our strength. 

I don't know if I've watched a more frustrating game.  

Of course teams didn't help.  Dustin of all times to kick out the end zone.  It was that last kick.  Not to mention a missed makeable field goal.  I won't even comment on the Djay fiasco.   But Dustin of all kicks out of the end zone.  We needed one then.  

Oh well.  

I think it was very interesting that the tablets and the printouts stopped working on the Dallas bench, hens taking them away from the Redskins, in the first half and at the same time Rod Marinelli comes with an entirely new look on defence and the result is the Skins who have been a quick starting team never found a rhythm and the game stayed close. - and of course the Refs took all the wind out of our sails on each drive that was promising - the defensive holding that turned into offensive pass interference on Garcon, or the non contact crak back block on Grant... 

Okay so that is tinfoil hat and conspiracy theory land but although I stayed up until stupid o'clock to watch the game and it was a close and nervy divisional game. 

Sure the game turned on the Jackson fumble but it should not come down to that one play and while it was a bone headed play but it was born out of his desire to make something happen. 

What happens next is what happens next .. we are still a game off my predication of 6-10 but if this team wants to play meaningful games in decemeber it knows it has to win out. 

People keep saying we would not be in this position without injuries in the division, but the Redskins have been the most injury affected team in the league and you see what a rash of injuries can do to a team like the Patriots. Currently we have - 

Backup QB, Back up TEs (Paul and Paulsen were supposed to be starters over Reed), and so thin at TE we could essentially run or pass with Compton and another backup T at TE back up C, LG - 4 brand new starters on the line this season, Jackson has been in and out the line up... 

On defence we only have Breeland and Golston as the original starters, Hall is back there but he is not right, Gallette was lost before the season started and the ILBs change from week to week...

This season is reminding me more and more of 1998  where we started out 0-7 and ended up 6-10 but the season was when the team started to come together like a team and saw the emergence of Trent Green who went on to be a really good QB (for the Rams/Chiefs). 

I am still not sure about Gruden but we look like a football team out there - inconsistent but not embarrassing. 

I am still not sure about Gruden but we look like a football team out there - inconsistent but not embarrassing. 

Sorry man, but that's loser talk.  Cassel was no better than John Beck out there and we lost the most definitive game of the season tonight.  DJax is a prick and I don't care if he's a Redskin next year, but the guy is literally open on every play and we didn't get him the ball.

The entire NFC East is embarrassing and we deserve to be the laughing stock of it after tonight.  I appreciate your optimism and would definitely drink a beer with you, but let's be honest here and not glide over the fact that our players and coaches really suck.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm pissed at Hopkins tonight. Missed a easy FG, then didn't kick deep enough for a touchback on that last kickoff, which led to a deep return. The offense sucked, but those two plays made a HUGE difference.

And Desean......seriously man.....without him, we don't tie the game. But that return/fumble was inexcusable.

I'm all for kicking it through the endzone, but whatever happened to actually covering a kick?

Hocker either:

1. Hits the field goal

2. Boot kickoff out of the end zone like he was brought here to do

Things change.

But ultimately, offense killed us. 3 turnovers for 3 points

1. Offense

2. SSS Jacksons horrible play

3. Hocker miss and kick off

4. Offensive play calling. (part of your point 1 to be fair but I think it needs its own point). 

Cowboys in single high man most of the night and we took 2 shots deep to Jackson and 1 to Garcon all night. One of those went for a TD. We were surprised by the amount of blitzing Dallas did and it took us a while to adjust. But once we started picking up the blitz we just did not make Dallas pay with enough down field plays.

Now when we look at the all 22 we may see that Cousins had some open guys down field and did not get to them but I also think we just did not call enough plays looking to push the ball up the field. 

Probably the most sane post of the thread.  Thank you. 

OL sucks in the middle, so run game is meh. But we are a young team and we're in build mode. We are good, IMO, but not great. This means right now most of our games are going to be close and decided in the last half of the 4th quarter. Yes the refs screwed us on a couple good drives too, but ultimately this one is on Desean. No excuse for his decision on the return. It changes it from us driving down the field for a game-winning FG late to having come back and tie it up. 2nd would be the ****ty return coverage team that let them get up the field so quickly (and special thanks to the refs for almost never calling OPI on a dallASS team that was pushing off all night). 

Jackson's punt return blunder was obviously huge and played a major part in us losing. But Hoffman's missed 43 yarder was a killer and Sean Lee almost single handedly beat us. If Hoffman makes that easy kick to put us up 6, the final few minutes plays out completely different and considering that Dallas couldn't get in the end zone the whole game until we gave them a TD after Jackson's fumble, I'm very confident a 6 pt. lead for us would have ended the game. A missed 43 yarder in that situation is nothing less than a classic choke job and it cost us big time.

Sean Lee was all over the place making plays all night for Dallas and his tackle on Crowder on the bubble screen on 3rd down was a game saver for them. Crower was going to go a long way with that [at the very least he would've picked a first down] but Lee, who initially bit on Cousins pump fake to the other side, recovered and flew over to make the tackle on Crowder. There were no other Dallas defenders in the picture and who knows how far Crower was going to take that. 

This was a nip and tuck game between arch rivals on a Monday night with a lot on the line. You can look at a lot of things that could have changed the outcome for us. But our kicker has two jobs to do. Kick the ball through the uprights and kick the ball deep on kickoffs. As good as he's been for us, last night he choked miserably. In what was probably his biggest kick for us to date, he pushes a 43 yarder wide that I believe would have essentially iced the game for us. Then, after our tying TD when we need him to bang it out of the end zone, he short legs it allowing for a big return. I don't want to blame the kicker for losing, but in a game that is being played so tight and there is so little margin for error, your kicker has got to be there for you and a missed 43 yarder in benign conditions with the division on the line is just sickening.    

I don't want to blame the kicker for losing, but in a game that is being played so tight and there is so little margin for error, your kicker has got to be there for you and a missed 43 yarder in benign conditions with the division on the line is just sickening.

I won't blame him for the loss, we had no running game & couldn't get anywhere to give Kirk some room for a throw.

But I agree that we needed that FG, terribly. Dude's gotta make that.

After taking some time to cool down after that game, you know what part of it annoys me the most?  The fact that our homefield techs couldn't get our playbooks to work.  

Anyone complaining about us playing too conservatively is overlooking how massively incompetent this was on the part of the organization.  Your playing your biggest rival on a national stage and you handcuff your teams ability to make adjustments and exploit your opponent.

I know the Cowboys didn't have access to their technology either.  But in my mind the reason this game took so long for any points to be scored on either side can be attributed directly to not having access to this technology.  

The commentators kept talking about how the Cowboys defense never blitzes, but that they were blitzing pretty much every play last night.  This caught us on our heels and made Cousins uncomfortable in the pocket.  And because we couldn't SEE WHAT THEY WERE DOING, WE COULDN"T MAKE ADJUSTMENTS FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!!!!

Handcuffing your team's ability to make in game adjustments, IN YOUR OWN STADIUM, is the mark of a disorganized, second rate organization.  

Not being able to get your own technology up and running is inexcuseable.  NOT BEING ABLE TO USE IT EVEN AFTER THE SECOND HALF is a terminable offense.

Someone needs to lose their job for this.  Completely unprofessional and absolutely had an impact on the flow of the game.  I'm just glad there weren't any more loose tackling sleds lying around to injure some more of our players.  

Seriously, I've never seen an organization so committed to finding new and exciting ways to beat themselves and make winning 10 times harder than it needs to be.

At the stadium last night 6 immediate takeaways:

1. There was to many plays left on the field when KC goes over the tape today he is going to be batting himself over the head.

2. The play calling was horrible and predictable

3. The NFL has to address the refs in the offseason the game is unwatchable. To many tight or bad calls that should not be called. The crew last night made Bogers crew look good.

4. Hopkins had an off night bad night overall for the special teams.

5. Do not blame this loss on Joe Barry or the defense 3 points off of 3 tunovers.

6. KC was off accuracy wise big time last night

Not being talked about because of all the other BS... But... We are probably the only team in the league that uses a timeout on our last drive with :49 seconds left and then goes for the TD to leave Dallas just enough time to kick a long FG. Great job there Jay!

I didn't mind the TO there.  I don't remember the exact yard line they were on, but it wasn't inside the 10.  I think it was around the 25.  With 49 seconds left, if you don't take the TO, then the next time you snap the ball, the clock is at best around 25 seconds.  That starts to really limit what you can do.  

And with 44 seconds left on the clock, you SHOULD be able to prevent a FG.  But the kickoff coverage was piss-poor. Defense gave a good effort.  And they converted a 50+ yard FG.

This was a nip and tuck game between arch rivals on a Monday night with a lot on the line. You can look at a lot of things that could have changed the outcome for us. But our kicker has two jobs to do. Kick the ball through the uprights and kick the ball deep on kickoffs. As good as he's been for us, last night he choked miserably. In what was probably his biggest kick for us to date, he pushes a 43 yarder wide that I believe would have essentially iced the game for us. Then, after our tying TD when we need him to bang it out of the end zone, he short legs it allowing for a big return. I don't want to blame the kicker for losing, but in a game that is being played so tight and there is so little margin for error, your kicker has got to be there for you and a missed 43 yarder in benign conditions with the division on the line is just sickening.    

I can't blame the kicker for the loss.  He could have hit the FG, but nobody is perfect, and he missed one.  He should have nailed the ball out of the end zone.  

But honestly, the team STILL had a chance to win.  It wasn't his best game.  He had a few of the most obvious "oopsies" but there were plenty of other "oopsies" to go around.

OL sucks in the middle, so run game is meh. But we are a young team and we're in build mode. We are good, IMO, but not great. This means right now most of our games are going to be close and decided in the last half of the 4th quarter. Yes the refs screwed us on a couple good drives too, but ultimately this one is on Desean. No excuse for his decision on the return. It changes it from us driving down the field for a game-winning FG late to having come back and tie it up. 2nd would be the ****ty return coverage team that let them get up the field so quickly (and special thanks to the refs for almost never calling OPI on a dallASS team that was pushing off all night). 

I think that this extended look at Long and Ribs is huge.  GMSM will get all the info he needs as to whether or not he needs to upgrade.  My guess is that Ribbs is gone, and we'll see about Long.  Luavao should be back, which will help. 

I agree that DJAX had the biggest oops in the game.  But, amazingly, they still managed to tie the game up, and had a really good shot of stealing the game in OT, if the ST didn't collapse.

I think this is a complete team loss. The coaching on offense stunk like the south end of a north bound skunk.  It was just putrid.  They can't run the ball at all.  They can't figure out how to get any offense, running, passing or protecting, with the group of players they have.  The TE situation seemed to have completely freaked out the coaches.  

The ST was a disaster basically all night save for 1 good kick return by Ross that set up the tying TD. 

The defense gets a pass.  They played well.  Though they played well against a QB that should be collecting tolls on the NJ turnpike.

4. Offensive play calling. (part of your point 1 to be fair but I think it needs its own point). 

Cowboys in single high man most of the night and we took 2 shots deep to Jackson and 1 to Garcon all night. One of those went for a TD. We were surprised by the amount of blitzing Dallas did and it took us a while to adjust. But once we started picking up the blitz we just did not make Dallas pay with enough down field plays.

Now when we look at the all 22 we may see that Cousins had some open guys down field and did not get to them but I also think we just did not call enough plays looking to push the ball up the field. 

Jay and McVay were completely out coached.  I think they were so completely freaked out about the TE situation, and the fact that they didn't want to put the ball in Kirk's hands, that they completely tipped their hand with the running game.  By putting Compton and (the other guy who's name I don't even know) in there, Dallas KNEW that they were going to run.  

The fact that they couldn't find ANY WAY to block Sean Lee all night was pathetic.  

They couldn't figure out how to stop Dallas from blitzing.  There are a few ways to do this:  

1.  block it all up and take shots.  Call a few 2 receiver routs, keep everybody else in to block.  

2. Throw a screen.  Preferably away from the blitz. Maybe a WR screen.  (I think they tried one to Crowder, and one to Thompson, which was incomplete.

3. Some quick slants/outs.  

Just like there are cover-2 busters, there are blitz-busters.  But they couldn't solve the blitz problem at all.  

I'm all for kicking it through the endzone, but whatever happened to actually covering a kick?

Seriously.  Make a freaking tackle.

After taking some time to cool down after that game, you know what part of it annoys me the most?  The fact that our homefield techs couldn't get our playbooks to work.  

I thought that all of that stuff was controlled by the NFL, not the team?  I know the headsets are (something that we learned because of the Patriots/Steelers issues early in the year)  

I haven't read anything (on vacation), but do we know if it was the 'Skins stadium personnel responsible, or the NFL gear?

Not being talked about because of all the other BS... But... We are probably the only team in the league that uses a timeout on our last drive with :49 seconds left and then goes for the TD to leave Dallas just enough time to kick a long FG. Great job there Jay!

If our kicker kick the ball through the endzone, Dallas DO NOT score. They were just as inept as we were on offense and no way the get into FG range starting from the 20.

Archived