Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - Cowboys at #Redskins

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Game Day Thread - Cowboys at #Redskins

12/07/15

DALLAS 19 - 16 WASHINGTON

Some games mean more than others.

Hello friends, JimmiJo here. I am joined by Spaceman Spiff and together we will bring you one of the most anticipated games we've had in a long time. Last week was big. Tonight is epic.

Monday night. Hosting Dallas. To cement the lead in the NFC East. If you are not up for this one, you might want to check your vitals for signs of life.

In the interest of full disclosure, I picked Washington to win tonight. Just as I've picked them most every week this season. But this game is not a lock. And I can easily see an inspired Cowboys come out and jump on the Redskins.

Dallas must win tonight to stay within range in a very weak division. On the other hand, Washington can win and still be in the lead.

And how many times have we seen such a thing? A favored Redskins' team getting whooped by someone like the Cowboys.

I am tired my friends. Weary of watching Washington win the ones we don't expect and lose the ones we think they should win. I'm over miracle-runs to land an improbable playoff berth. For the first time in a long long time, Washington is in a position to take the division by playing solid, not spectacular, ball.

And if the Redskins want to show they have become a class act, they have to win the big games, and also the road games. Games like tonight.

Speak among yourselves...

Inactives

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 10 QB Robert Griffin III

o   No. 12 WR Andre Roberts

o   No. 22 CB Deshazor Everett

o   No. 56 LB Perry Riley, Jr.

o   No. 73 DE Frank Kearse

o   No. 74 G Arie Kouandjio

o   No. 89 TE Derek Carrier

No. 54 Mason Foster is expected to start in place of Riley at linebacker.

Please add No. 59 LB Carlos Fields (6-1, 242) to your flip card for Washington and omit No. 34 S Trenton Robinson.

The Cowboys declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 9 QB Tony romoSUCKS

o   No. 19 WR Brice Butler

o   No. 29 CB Deji Olatoye

o   No. 53 LB Mark Nzeocha

o   No. 65 G Ronald Leary

o   No. 79 OL Chaz Green

o   No. 87 TE Geoff Swaim

Please add No. 11 QB Kellen Moore (6-0, 200) and No. 79 OL Chaz Green (6-5, 300) to your flip card for Dallas and omit No. 99 DE Ryan Russell.

Moments Away

Ok folks, we are getting ready to go. Entirely too much silver and blue in the stands. But an all-too-common scene these days.

Here's to an exciting victory for Washington...

Photos

https://www.flickr.c...157659824004153

JimmiJo

Heartbreaking. Gut-wrenching. Devastating.

And in many ways a most typical Redskins-Cowboys game. From Vinny Testaverde connecting with KeyShawn Johnson in front of rookie Sean Taylor on 4th-and-10, to the two miracle touchdown strikes from Mark Brunell to Santana Moss, to the blocked field goal and return by Taylor, to tonight’s last minute field goal; this was yet another cliff-hanger finish.

This game was about missed opportunities for Washington. Three fumbles recovered that amounted to only three-points. Marching repeatedly into Dallas territory only to come away with field goals. Missing a key field goal attempt and then giving up one. And then of course the fumble by DeSean Jackson.

Jackson tried to do too much and it cost them. Bigtime.

And depending on how the season unfolds, this game may have really cost the Redskins.

They still own a share of first place. But the loss tonight, coupled with the victory by Philadelphia over the Patriots, things just got unnecessarily complicated.

More on that in a minute.

Matt Cassel was horrible to start tonight. And while he never became stellar, he did enough late to make a difference. Especially with the big passes. Cassel connected on three plays of 25-yards or more. None bigger than the 42-yard strike to Dez Bryant in the fourth quarter.

Cassel finished 16/29 for 222-yards, and a rating of 80. He was able to spread the ball to nine different receivers along the way. Darren McFadden led the Cowboys rushers with 53-yards on 14-carries. But his two fumbles kept him on the bench late.

Dallas enjoyed a lowly 11-percent third down conversion rate, going 1-for-9. They amassed a total of 317 yards, but did enough at the end to earn the last-minute win.

They were helped by a defense that limited the Redskins offense to a sorry overall effort. Washington posted a total of 266-yards, with 73 of coming on the ground.

Cousins finished a respectable 22/31 for 219-yards, one touchdown and a rating of 101.1. The rushers were led by Matt Jones who gained 49-yards on 18-carries.

The offense had only two passing plays over 25-yards, one being the magnificent 28-yard strike to Jackson for the tying touchdown.

Unfortunately, special teams, in addition to giving up the fumble, allowed 44-yard return to set up the winning drive.

Back to the division. While the Redskins remain atop the division, they share their 5-7 record with both Philadelphia and New York. Washington holds the advantage over the Eagles, having beaten them once. And they are done with the Giants and hold the tie-breakers.

But now Dallas sits a single game back at 4-8 with a head-to-head advantage over the Redskins. Meaning Washington probably has to beat them in Dallas.

The road ahead is complicated, but not impossible. Dallas face the Packers and the Jets and the Bills before hosting Washington.  Eagles face Cardinals, Panthers, Redskins and Giants.

So Washington has arguably the easier road, with Bears, Bills, Philadelphia and Cowboys.

Here’s to a wild finish.

Roberts is inactive.  Is that a new thing? 

Carrier being out is going to hurt.  Our TE situation is miserable.  I think that they should just abandon trying to run anything with a "power" formation.  Spread 'em out, 3 WR, 1 TE (Reed), and a RB, and then try and hit a few things that way.  

DJax had some kind of midweek illness. It's possible that they want Ross around as a burner just in case Desean doesn't have his full wind back (my guess)

Please let us win on national TV, one time

From your keyboard to God's ears.

Or something like that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Every time I see Ray Lewis on TV, I mumble to myself "Murderer."

2. There is a woman int he Stands wearing a Redskins jersey and a cowboys hat.  That should be illegal, and she should be taken to jail immediately. 

DJax had some kind of midweek illness. It's possible that they want Ross around as a burner just in case Desean doesn't have his full wind back (my guess)

Ah, I see.  

----------------

I hate the damn yellow pants.  

Carrier being out is going to hurt.  Our TE situation is miserable.  I think that they should just abandon trying to run anything with a "power" formation.  Spread 'em out, 3 WR, 1 TE (Reed), and a RB, and then try and hit a few things that way.  

This is true.  I'm going to run out of likes and am cognizant of that.  We must address this in the off-season.  We have been decimated by injuries this year.  The TE position was one of the hardest hit.  Our offense needs TE's.  The coaches have adjusted.  It effects our running game more than anything.  It is something many may not realize.  LOVE Jordan, but he is not a run blocking TE.  He is a big receiver.  We need a really good blocking TE. Off soapbox now.  HAIL

Roberts missed two days of practice with a swollen knee, so I guess they went with the healthier Ross.

Archived