Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many more games must we win for Gruden to return in 2016?

Riggo-toni

Rivera did NOT turn Carolina around quick.  There were rumors of him being fired mid season 3 yrs ago after 2 seasons of poor play.  3 out of 4 years the Panthers have had losing seasons.  6-10, 7-9, 12-4, 7-8 and now 10-0.  Not sure how that is a fast start.

I believe it will take a coach 3 years before you see significant improvement.  A HC coming in and winning IMMEDIATELY is the exception, not the norm IMO.

May I point out that the same rationale kept Norvo the Clown here for 7 years, and Casserly for far too long.

I don't expect nor would I demand even .500 this year, but 5-11 would make his return problematic at best, and losing out would certainly put him out the door.

You say that in hindsight, but Norv showed improvement from year 1 to year 2, and even to year 3.  Its after 1996 when he hit a wall, and really should've been let go during the 0-7 start. 

I agree that Gruden is probably safe with 6-10 or better, but 5-11 or worse and he's on thin ice.

Wins mean nothing to me. Jim Zorn was 8-8 his first season and we all knew he was not the guy from the start. Spurrier was 7-9 his first year and we knew the way he was hired was flawed! Gruden to me is not the guy and the hiring process was flawed once again! Plus we know he's not McCloughan's guy because he was hired by Brucy Bruce!

Tho year is basically a wash. So I say lets just start over and do it the right way no matter how this season ends. Get the GM to hire HIS guy and let's roll. Stop doing it backwards and waiting years trying to fix it.

We know that Bruce was working with Scott company during the 2014 draft, I can easily see him inquiring about the HC's gig. Also, it's not because Scott wasn't here when they hired Gruden that he wouldn't have made the same choice. Or that he's not pleased with what the team is doing. I'm just conjecturing here, obviously, but not more than saying "Gruden he's not a Scott's guy".

And considering Scott's history, he doesn't care about anything else but "now" (see Forbath, Kai)

Rivera did NOT turn Carolina around quick.  There were rumors of him being fired mid season 3 yrs ago after 2 seasons of poor play.  3 out of 4 years the Panthers have had losing seasons.  6-10, 7-9, 12-4, 7-8 and now 10-0.  Not sure how that is a fast start.

I believe it will take a coach 3 years before you see significant improvement.  A HC coming in and winning IMMEDIATELY is the exception, not the norm IMO.

100% right. The history of the NFL is full of teams that turned it up in one year, made it to the playoffs in some astounding fashion only to fall apart heavily the year after. Being a 1 shot team happen every year. Schedule, injuries being the main reasons behind it. Being a perrenial contender requires more than that and takes time.

I think a better thread would be Why do you want a new coach for the Redskins?

Because without another 2 years of talent, we aren't going to be competitive.  We keep changing coaches.  It doesn't matter.

Same thing goes for the free agent thread.  Why do you want more free agents?  They don't help us win more games.  Culliver was supposed to be this great corner.  Knighton was gonna get double teamed and help sacks and stop the run.  Our defensive line was supposed to be so much better.

Step 1 draft, draft, draft.  Then you build a foundation of home grown players.  This takes 3 years to start.

Step 2 find a coach to take you to the next level.

Step 3, sprinkle in a free agent or two.

We are at Step 1, year 1.

I firmly believe we will win the NFC East this year...9-7 maybe 10-6...3 of our next 4 games are at home and chicago doesn't scare me...then an eagles and a cowboys team that will all be out of the hunt...9-7...10-6...we control our own destiny...we will be in first place come monday...

Well their 5-5. Won 3 out of their last 4. Probably should be 6-4 but blew the game against us. And they have a top 10 offense with a rookie at QB. So as of late, yes they've been one of the better teams in the league.

so we must be semi-balling then right? 

They are a game better and lost to us.

Basically, they aren't balling and that person used them as a poor example. 

so we must be semi-balling then right? 

They are a game better and lost to us.

Basically, they aren't balling and that person used them as a poor example. 

Look, I'm not going to argue with you.  All I'm saying is they're playing quite well as of late. 

I just can't get a good read on the guy, still. Sometimes I really like him, other times it seems like he's in over his head. The road issues are troubling; not just the losses, but the continual letdowns in big time games ... like the one coming up this weekend. This is going to be a real litmus test for him, clearly. Another bed-wetting performance where the team looks outcoached and undisciplined, and there's going to be big trouble for him. Follow that with a loss to Dallas, and ... I don't know. Hopefully just the opposite happens on both counts. 

I honestly believe that if the Bucs blowout had continued and we'd lost that game big, he would've been canned. I really believe that. So does Diana Russini. 

He's shown some real sparks since that big comeback. Need to turn them into some sort of fire at this point. 

We know that Bruce was working with Scott company during the 2014 draft, I can easily see him inquiring about the HC's gig. Also, it's not because Scott wasn't here when they hired Gruden that he wouldn't have made the same choice. Or that he's not pleased with what the team is doing. I'm just conjecturing here, obviously, but not more than saying "Gruden he's not a Scott's guy".

And considering Scott's history, he doesn't care about anything else but "now" (see Forbath, Kai)

100% right. The history of the NFL is full of teams that turned it up in one year, made it to the playoffs in some astounding fashion only to fall apart heavily the year after. Being a 1 shot team happen every year. Schedule, injuries being the main reasons behind it. Being a perrenial contender requires more than that and takes time.

You're really reaching here. To assume Bruce Allen checked with McCloughan a whole year before he was even hired would prove even the more how incompetent we are that we would get the advice from the GM but hire the coach first!!! SMH!

Everyone knows why Gruden is here..

To me, this = when a little kid asks, "Why," and a grown-up simply says, "Because." What has Jay done to date to warrant a third year? This team has a golden opportunity to steal a bad division this year. If he can't get them to play two games in a road, better on the road, or consistent why should he get a third year?

We've obviously improved from last year, right?

We had nothing to work with. We **** out 3 1rst and 2 2nds, with an old roster. We switch coaches every few years and wonder why we aren't winning superbowls.

I explained the "why" just fine, if I seem like I'm talking to children, who don't understand the lack of talent on our team and constantly yell "fire everybody" after every loss, it's because that's how it feels to constantly explain to people that we need to acquire more talent on our team, through the draft and it doesn't happen in one off season.

Or do you think like Vinny, that signing a couple FAs is how you fix a decade of busted drafts?

When you want someone fired after every loss, do you have any replacement in mind?

Stick to ****ing Madden. 

The foundation is Danny.

He is not even allowed to pick the color of the pants the team wears.

The ****ing PANTS.

Dan Snyder watches football, cheers his team on and signs checks.

Let's drop this bull****.

I say give him another year, barring some epic meltdown to close out the year.  Thus far he has done a decent job, and the team does look slightly better than last year.  I'd be curious to know if the front office is looking at just the win/loss record, or if they are looking at something else this time around.  I'd bet they are looking at giving this group more time but I hope it comes down to Scot McGloowey's decision, and not Snyder.

I agree that you don't blow up the foundation all the time, but you also have to make sure you have the right foundation in place.

I believe Gruden will and should be back. Next year is appropriate time to have this discussion. As some have mentioned, skins must have continuity to inflict positive change.

Also, I think GM will continue to put much of focus on building roster and maintaining neutral approach with Gruden.

We've obviously improved from last year, right?

We had nothing to work with. We **** out 3 1rst and 2 2nds, with an old roster. We switch coaches every few years and wonder why we aren't winning superbowls.

I explained the "why" just fine, if I seem like I'm talking to children, who don't understand the lack of talent on our team and constantly yell "fire everybody" after every loss, it's because that's how it feels to constantly explain to people that we need to acquire more talent on our team, through the draft and it doesn't happen in one off season.

Or do you think like Vinny, that signing a couple FAs is how you fix a decade of busted drafts?

When you want someone fired after every loss, do you have any replacement in mind?

Stick to ****ing Madden.

Let's drop this bull****.

I believe there is enough talent to win this division this season. If GM SM gets three starters out of the next draft, I think a solid staff has this team competing again. My opinion on Gruden is he is a decent OC, but not great, and he is a mediocre HC. Replacements? If they want to keep the same system in place, they could give Hue Jackson a look. Personally, I would like to see a defensive minded coach. I wish we had hired Sean McDermott or Mike Zimmer the last search. Gruden was forced because of his connection to Allen and TB.

I believe there is enough talent to win this division this season. If GM SM gets three starters out of the next draft, I think a solid staff has this team competing again. My opinion on Gruden is he is a decent OC, but not great, and he is a mediocre HC. Replacements? If they want to keep the same system in place, they could give Hue Jackson a look. Personally, I would like to see a defensive minded coach. I wish we had hired Sean McDermott or Mike Zimmer the last search. Gruden was forced because of his connection to Allen and TB.

The same team who had probably the most embarrassing end of season press conference last year?  The team with more leaks than a damn to the media?  The same team who had more free agent starters than draft picks?  The same team who has more losing records the last 20 years than most NFL teams?  Sometimes I wonder where fans come up with the stuff they come up with.  We are literally one of the laughing stocks of the league but somehow every year some of our fans think we should be contenders.

Step 1.  draft draft draft.  LOL.  Maybe we can change coaches every year and sign players every year and talk about how great we are.  Wait.  We already do that.

Archived