Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Just now, tshile said:

No what I just posted only comes after you and the other mcwhinster go off attacking people who actually agree with you

all because someone suggested a point that differs from your outrage 

There was an Obama thread a couple years ago, maybe less, in which it was about what Obama did wrong or what the criticisms of his administration were at the end. I'm not sure there was a single person on the left that didn't hammer Obama on something or multiple issues. I have my list of grievances against my own party and the past two Dem POTUS. The party's position on most immigration issues are generally fine for me particularly in the last 18 years though I give myself the option to amend that if I can't remember something. The primary reason immigration reform doesn't get done: the elected members of the GOP. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Ill try to be more like you and hersh and just call people trump defenders when they say something bad about my party

thats what smart people do right?

Feel free to quote me on where I called you a trump defender.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

Feel free to quote me on where I called you a trump defender.

The one where you called me and another poster moral cowards, and some other things about fence sitting and what aboutism, all because we (in addition to agreeing with you and hersh about what is currently going on) said that the entire immigration policy is a failure and has been one for a long time. 

I can understand why you’d forget such a thing, you do it all the time these days. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

The one where you called me and another poster moral cowards, and some other things about fence sitting and what aboutism, all because we (in addition to agreeing with you and hersh about what is currently going on) said that the entire immigration policy is a failure and has been one for a long time. 

I can understand why you’d forget such a thing, you do it all the time these days. 

Ah right, so the post in which I didn’t call you a trump defender. 

Also, you’re entire freakout is about being called out on wrongly stating that both parties are to blame for this mess. This is not true. Liberals and moderate conservatives have tried for two decades to fix this. They have been blocked mostly by right wing extremists. These are the facts. Have a good night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Ah right, so the post in which I didn’t call you a trump defender. 

That’s exactly what was implied and you know it (it was in response to such). But pretend otherwise. You’re too cowardly to admit it, that’s fine. 

Edited by tshile

31 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

You know, it's okay to admit that you are wrong sometimes.

If we could all do this the world would be a much better place....we can all win without being the one that says " I told you so"

Granted....I ripped a calf muscle earlier today and im on pain meds and a 12 pack, but im feeling the love.

group hug

Edited by Gibbit

1 hour ago, Gibbit said:

really though its laughable to compare it to the holocaust...stop 

There's a reason I said 1936 instead of, say, 1939, or 1941.

Those who fail to learn from history...

1 hour ago, tshile said:

At the point that decades of failed immigration policy from all of our politicians has led to this, you hersh and others get whiny and attack anyone who suggests your beloved party has done wrong. 

It’s completely laughable how much you’ve lost your grip on things. 

There have been two major pushes for comprehensive immigration reform in the past 12 years which would likely have gone a long way towards resolving the vast majority of the pre-Trump problems.  One was under Bush and the other under Obama.

Both were killed by Congressional Republicans.

So sure, both parties have their failures.  But one party's failures have primarily been a result of being forced to function in an imperfect system without comprehensive reform, while the other's failures are not just a result of being forced to function in an imperfect system while actively blocking comprehensive reform.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Good to see Congress trying to do something and to see at least 12 GOP Senators standing against the President. People need to be held accountable, but more energy needs to be focused on doing something to fix it instead of a blame game. Solve the issue, then cast blame, Nuremberg style (I mean after the resolution, not the death penalty aspect).

24 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

You act like this is a new thing...

Concentration Camps and Internment Camps in America is a pretty damn new thing.

We have often been a flawed country, but we have been a country that tried to correct its mistakes and be better especially if we look at the modern United States (post World War II). I do feel this is fundamentally new and different. 

Elijah Cummings just quoted Martin Luther King Jr. aptly saying that "Silence is betrayal."

We are losing the heart of the American promise. More than half the Republican Party supports that. I would say to you that the US has been wrong before. Certainly, our use of chemical weapons in Vietnam was wrong. Our use of an atom bomb in Japan was questionable. Our Civil Rights history and prison pipeline is pretty damning. I think we are crossing a line. I think the soul of what America stands for is in jeopardy.

Edit: And I know that you are on the right side of this issue, Zguy. I just can't believe we are willingly letting ourselves be a Nazi nation.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Concentration Camps and Internment Camps in America is a pretty damn new thing.

For our generation. Not if you ask Japanese-Americans.

We have often been a flawed country, but we have been a country that tried to correct its mistakes and be better especially if we look at the modern United States (post World War II). I do feel this is fundamentally new and different. 

Elijah Cummings just quoted Martin Luther King Jr. aptly saying that "Silence is betrayal."

We are losing the heart of the American promise. More than half the Republican Party supports that. I would say to you that the US has been wrong before. Certainly, our use of chemical weapons in Vietnam was wrong. Our use of an atom bomb in Japan was questionable. Our Civil Rights history and prison pipeline is pretty damning. I think we are crossing a line. I think the soul of what America stands for is in jeopardy.

Edit: And I know that you are on the right side of this issue, Zguy. I just can't believe we are willingly letting ourselves be a Nazi nation.

We will see at the next election. As much as I despise the Democrat's stance on abortion (murder of children...note the hypocrisy I feel they are guilty of, but that doesn't negate them speaking on the current issue we're dealing with), I hope they win in a blood bath and it forces some sort of moderate conservative reform movement or party to either take hold of the GOP or form a new one.

• Like 3