Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parents hosting teen drinking parties

pointyfootball

"Three kids dead in Montgomery County in a little more than a year, thousands of pledges signed by parents promising not to serve alcohol to kids, a former high school quarterback indicted this week in the drunken-driving deaths of his two friends, a dad facing fines for allegedly hosting the party where they got drunk. Yet still, Goodwin heard that not just one, but two parents hosted drinking parties over Halloween weekend."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/parents-who-host-teen-drinking-parties-not-cool-not-smart-but-they-do-it-anyway/2015/11/12/a4a5a05e-8937-11e5-9a07-453018f9a0ec_story.html?hpid=hp_regional-hp-cards_regional-card-columnists%3Ahomepage%2Fcard

Curious to hear opinions on this from parents of teens, or those who have been through it.  I can totally see not providing the alcohol, but what about if you knew they snuck some in to a sleepover/bonfire, etc? 

It's a no win situation.

You provide alcohol and then someone does something foolish and now you're responsible.

You don't provide alcohol and they go off on their own, unsupervised, and still do foolish things.

I'm of the belief that you're not going to stop them if they want to, so they might as well do it in a safe environment. I know what we did when I was young, and it was incredibly dangerous... but if you're going to do that you're going to be held responsible for whatever happens...

I guess not allow 'parties' but small groups where you can actually supervise? Get the other kids' parents written consent?

Not allow it at all and pretend your kid isn't out doing it anyways?

When I was a teen, I don't recall anyone's parent "hosting drinking parties," but I certainly had friends where we could go drink in their basement and their parents didn't care AS LONG AS WE DIDNT LEAVE.  That was the key thing.  You want to drink, you give up your keys.  

My buddy's parents did that once. Except it was a party. Dad was in the basement drinking with us.

He collected everyone's keys prior to the party, though he definitely didn't get consent from anyone's parents.

Considering who was there, and the things we did that his dad didn't know about, he's lucky nothing happened...

This is tough and I have no clue what side of this I'll fall on when the time comes (my kids are still young). 

I don't think I ever want to be responsible for having kids over to drink. But I also feel like I'd want my kids to know that I'd rather have them under my roof and safe (and being somewhat honest about it) than the alternative. Ugh, maybe I just want to stop time so I can just deal with my 6-year old daughter's drama and my 8-year old son's smart mouth. 

You have to teach ur kids that you don't need to drink to have fun. 

Yeaahhh.....my parents taught me that too.  :)

This is tough and I have no clue what side of this I'll fall on when the time comes (my kids are still young). 

I don't think I ever want to be responsible for having kids over to drink. But I also feel like I'd want my kids to know that I'd rather have them under my roof and safe (and being somewhat honest about it) than the alternative. Ugh, maybe I just want to stop time so I can just deal with my 6-year old daughter's drama and my 8-year old son's smart mouth. 

6&8 is great!  I/we fall in line with your "under my roof" sentiment.

No.  Just no.   This is a really, really good way to end up in jail.

I definitely would never "host" a party, as in providing alcohol.  And, I tell my son when he has a party (bonfires are very popular) that I don't want booze there.  Have they snuck it in? Yes, and I just made sure everyone was staying over for the night once I discovered it (and confiscated the hard stuff).  What cracks me up is the number of parents who think their kids don't drink.  Teenagers don't go to sleepovers to just play COD.

This.

I didn't start drinking until I was 21.  I just was the DD for parties if people did partake.  I remember being about 6 years old, told my dad I wanted to drink his beer.  He placed the bottle in front of me, said go ahead.  

I took a few swigs, almost puked, thought it was horrible and didn't want to drink.  I don't advise anyone do that with their child, I won't with mine by any means.  That was 34 years ago, times have changed lol.  

My daughter is almost 8 years old.  She doesn't even drink soft drinks, she has had them once or twice at a birthday party and doesn't like them, which is great imo.  I'm hoping she doesn't try drinking alcohol when she is older.

It's hard, but I would say no to parent-sponsored drinking parties. I'd say that I'd try to do the best job raising my kids to know the risks and to know how to act in those situations. 

Even in high school I had this thought: If there was just something else to do in Fairfax, I probably wouldn't be out drinking. Not sure if it was up to my parents, I think it kind of was since I couldn't drive.

Having drank a bunch in HS also made me much better prepared for college.  You could really tell who was learning to drink for the first time, mostly because they were passed out in a pool of their own vomit by 9pm (the veterans passed out in vomit at 2am).

But what did you expect from those Jersey kids? They can't even pump their own gas.

This is one of those topics where there's like... collective amnesia about what it's like to be 17-18 years old. Obviously they are going to try to drink, and unless you are an overly controlling parent whose kid can't leave the house, they're probably going to find a way. Think honestly about all the things you did as a teenager. 

Throwing a rager for your teenager is a horrible idea. Like Predicto said you are basically asking for jail time. I don't have kids so maybe I just don't get it, but I think there are situations where letting your 17-18 year old drink safely at your home is not a bad idea. Should you let your teenage son have a bunch of girls over to drink whose parents you don't know or have a good relationship with? Probably not. Your teenage son and 2-3 of his best friends? Could be OK. I know it's way better than the slightest chance of a DUI situation. You can say it shouldn't happen regardless... but it does. Even to perfect angels! 

What PleaseBlitz said about college is simply reality. I went to Penn State and the idea of sending my 18 year old son there, restricted entirely from even responsible-ish drinking his whole life, would make me fear for his safety. 

My friend's dad threw her a party like this back in the day and bought her a keg.  After the kids drank themselves crazy, acted like idiots, and stumbled all over the place talking about how drunk they were, he informed everyone that it was non-alcoholic beer.  I wasn't there, but I imagine it was pretty funny.

My parents gave me the leeway to stay over somewhere if I had been drinking.  They didn't care, just wanted the phone call.  

I was a teenager in the '90's, and teen drinking in my HS wasn't a big thing at all. I really kinda feel this is somewhat of a culture thing too. Some of you are like "they are going to do it anyway", which I personally think is a piss poor way of parenting but ok. Regardless, my parent and my friends parents were worried about us just hanging out and not getting harassed by police for doing nothing. Black people problems, I guess. Or going to non-drinking but all dancing parties and not getting caught up in a beef, drinking wasn't even an option on the table. I didn't know anyone who drank, and so my options in getting it were limited.

You can absolutely raise your child not to be a junior alcoholic in training and not compromise the fact you are the adult with the fully developed brain and they aren't. They could go to college and go all-out, that is to be expected. Once they get that freshman year out of their system get your ass back on track.

My parents didn't really care that I drank as long as I was responsible(aka didn't drive). Teen drinking is a thing. Trying to demonize it just makes teens want to do it more.

I'm sorry, I completely disagree. Teen drinking is stupid, and at some point an adult is responsible for allowing it to happen. People keep saying they're going to do it anyway, that is because at some point some irresponsible dumbass is giving them alcohol. It's simple, don't be the irresponsible dumbass.

Archived