Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins at Jets Final

JimmiJo

Because McCoy may be mediocre and not have a very strong arm but so is Kirk and at least McCoy doesn't consistently turn the ball over at horrible times in boneheaded ways. They're both game managers, but one is a game manager who cannot stop throwing it to the other team.

And stop with the DJax stuff. DJax is not going to make Kirk suddenly become accurate on his deep passes. It is Kirk's inability to go deep well that teams don't fear, not the fact that we don't have an elite deep threat.

But with McCoy you have to deal with fumbles and sacks. It's pick your suck basically 

But with McCoy you have to deal with fumbles and sacks. It's pick your suck basically 

Oh I'm certainly not saying Colt is much of a QB. He's mediocre and always has been. I just think he's a better game manager than Kirk. Yeah he'll probably take more sacks but I'll sacks over interceptions any day. And remember, Gruden already benched Kirk for Colt because of Kirk's turnover problems once.

After the Philly win I really believed that was just what Cousins needed to turn the corner and become a solid QB. I also thought it was going to catapult us as a team and we'd get on a roll. Obviously, that isn't what happened as Cousins keeps on making the same mistakes at a nauseating rate and we've lost two straight. It's always one step forward and two steps back with this team and if we lose next week some bad smelling stuff is really going to hit the fan. 

Hard for me to be too disappointed given our injury situation, but Kirk's accuracy issues are becoming a serious problem. Even with better (healthy) weapons in the lineup, it won't necessarily make much of a difference if the QB can't put the ball in their hands. I've tended to side with the "Kirk is the best QB on the roster" crowd to this point, but now I'm starting to think that we might be better with McCoy. I said early on that Kirk should be given 8 games, and I'll stick with that for now, but it's not looking good for him.

That's not to say that an accurate Kirk would've won today; we don't know how it would've turned out, and in his defense, there were some catchable balls that got dropped. What I'm saying is that, even with all his weapons, his accuracy issues might prevent them from making enough of a difference on offense. Defensively, the lack of DBs definitely was a problem.

Man, if some of you were owners, you guys would be replacing HCs and cleaning house during half times. 3-4 going into the bye week would be considered a success before season started, not sure why all of a sudden expectations seem to have changed. Yes, they are still a better team, but building a winning team takes time. Again, this team is on the right track.

Man, if some of you were owners, you guys would be replacing HCs and cleaning house during half times. 3-4 going into the bye week would be considered a success before season started, not sure why all of a sudden expectations seem to have changed. Yes, they are still a better team, but building a winning team takes time. Again, this team is on the right track.

If I were the owner and this was happening and I had just hired a widely renowned GM who I completely trusted and he came to me and said "this HC is not getting it done, and in my opinion, he won't" and said we should look elsewhere, I would trust his judgement.

Not with this team, things are usually great heading into halftime. The third quarter is when the Suckage starts. The issues are nobod really wanted Gruden because he was seen as an Allen guy, then he mishandles RGIII the only sunshine the team has seen since Gibbs returned, then Dan figures out that Allen cannot judge talent and hires a true GM, so Jay's seat gets hot, then the NFC East fell apart and it looks like 8-9 wins will bring home a title, then Cousins is subpar more than he is adequate, and then there is the false hop of great first halves magnified by this quarter collapses. Nobody had huge expectations, but the perfect storm brought modest expectations and most of us don't believe Gruden or Cousins have it in them.

Yep. yep. of course.

Listen, I did not say RGIII was the solution to our woes and if anything Shanny ruined him by leaving him in that contest... But the fact is, Robert in the RO was the only excitement on offense for this team in this decade. Fans were excited. Then it fell apart, for reasons including Robert... But Jay rode in claiming he liked Robert and that he could fix him and instead he quit on him as quickly as he could. Maybe he had no idea what he was getting into maybe he said what he had to say to get the job... but that is why a lot of people hate Gruden.

I'm not discouraged given the key injuries to the team especially T Williams. 

There are some positives like Breeland and Dustin Hopkins but we need to focus on

1. The Run Defense - we are spiraling at the moment and the coaches need to make it a priority.

2. Stagnant offense especially our run game. This is our identity and we are woeful.

3. Kirk Cousins - please limit the INTs.

Hoping our starters can play next sunday and get a win against the Bucs.

Thats true (although I think we still need to give Cousins more time and make an evaluation at the end of the year absent a total melt down). Problem is IMO there is no QB coming out this year who is a real blue chip prospect and picking will as always be thin in free agency. If Cousins shows he is not the answer then there are no obvious solutions on the horizon even if we have a top 10 pick to work with.

Not directed at you, just thought of this:  Isn't that what we brought Scot in to find?  Those third-, fourth-, sixth-round picks who turn out to be very good starters?

Not directed at you, just thought of this:  Isn't that what we brought Scot in to find?  Those third-, fourth-, sixth-round picks who turn out to be very good starters?

Typically you find solid starters at positions like guard, linebacker and saftey in those draft spots. Not easy to find a solid starting QB 3rd round and lower. Heck not easy to find one picking in the 1st round for that matter, but the lower you draft the lower your odds get.

I didn't see an explanation yet, but why are the Skins so flat coming out of the half?  It doesn't matter if they are on offense or defense, they seem to be a totally lesser team at the start of the 3rd quarter.  Is it that other teams adjust and the skins don't?  

Listen, I did not say RGIII was the solution to our woes and if anything Shanny ruined him by leaving him in that contest... But the fact is, Robert in the RO was the only excitement on offense for this team in this decade. Fans were excited. Then it fell apart, for reasons including Robert... But Jay rode in claiming he liked Robert and that he could fix him and instead he quit on him as quickly as he could. Maybe he had no idea what he was getting into maybe he said what he had to say to get the job... but that is why a lot of people hate Gruden.

Then that's a dumb reason.

I didn't see an explanation yet, but why are the Skins so flat coming out of the half?  It doesn't matter if they are on offense or defense, they seem to be a totally lesser team at the start of the 3rd quarter.  Is it that other teams adjust and the skins don't?

Outcoached. Adjustments matter.

Some of my observations:

1. Most of our starting lineup is out due to injuries.
  2. We do have some depth this year, unlike previous years where there was no depth.
  3. What is wrong when they come out at the half?  I put this squarely on the coaches, they are not firing up this team, nor are they making adjustments.  Plus, you don't win games putting up 13 point in the first half then resting on your laurels.
  4. Who are the young college quarterbacks that will graduate, leave college early?  Because we are going to have to get one in the draft.
  5. Keep with Kirk, Gruden is tied to him with duct tape wrapped all around them.
  6. I hope they keep Alfred Morris on this team.  In fact, all 3 of our running backs can be productive if the Oline is there.
  7. Need to draft a big, powerful TE.  Much as I like Reed, at some point he's going to hang up his cleats due to his propensity to concussion.  If he wants a future, he'll have to retire.  So we need another one.  I hope Niles Paul recovers well too.

Okay. It's useless drivel to post another him when he finally did what everyone wanted and hired a successful, pedigreed talent evalutor as GM, for the first time since he's owned the team. He did what everyone wanted and has no say in team decisions now (probably hasn't for a while, but now we know he doesn't). Continuing to point to it after losses like he matters now is just a waste of energy and more akin to throwing a tantrum than making a legitimate point.

How do you know he has "no say in team decisions"? I certainly don't "know" that. 

He's a VERY hands-on owner, whether he's making personnel decisions like he's done in the recent past or not. Because of that, he sets a tone for this team and organization that trickles down to all facets of its operation. To suggest he doesn't "matter now" is laughable, really. He's entrenched in team operations like a tick. His presence does indeed matter. 

I agree he's done the right thing with the GM hire. Golf clap. It's only what we've all been pleading for him to do for the last decade or so. But that doesn't absolve him of his past and equate to him "not mattering anymore," unfortunately. He's one of the worst managers of people who's ever run a giant company, in my educated opinion. Disliked, not respected, avoided whenever possible. JKC was a **** at times, too, but his coaches loved him, wanted to win for him. He knew when to put the pressure on and when to lay off. He understood how to earn respect ... and give it. Snyder's always been tone deaf in that area, and that, without a doubt, affects the operation of a team. Just look at the imbeciles he's hired to run and speak for the organization. 

All that said ... I do think the team is moving in the right direction on the field. Just not convinced that includes Gruden, but that's for another conversation. And I also agree it's basically futile and probably indeed a waste of energy to rail against the one thing we have little to no power of doing anything about as fans. But when I look at the wreckage of the last 15 years and what's been done to a once great franchise, I would never refer to complaints about who's most responsible as "whining." Blaming Snyder is indeed still a "legitimate point," even if it may be, overall, pointless. 

Injuries, sminjuries.  1992, the Skins were losing players left and right. Joe Gibbs found a way to get the back into the playoffs and win a game.

Great coaches and even good coaches; find a way around injuries.  Gruden can't.  He can't coach anyway but you take away the starting players; and he's even worse.

This is laughable. The '91 Skins were arguably the best team ever assembled.

We probably had, at best, talent for an 8-8 season coming into the year. And then 9 players on IR by week 2, 6 more starters inactive today due to injury. Including most of our team's best remaining players.

We trotted out a roster today with maybe 3-win talent. Maybe. Playing a team that's now won 80% of their games, on the road, coming off a bye week to prepare and rest. It's frankly amazing we went into halftime with a lead at all.

Look at our offensive line today! Backups/retreads at LT, LG, C, and then a rookie at RG and a dude starting his 6th game at RT. We're down to our 4th and 5th tight ends. We're running a west-coast offense with our only two playmakers inactive. We don't have anyone who can take the top off the defense, we can't run the ball, and we have only one dude who can make people miss after the catch. And he's a 5'8 mid-round rookie.

Morris can't make people miss anymore -- that was never his game, but he at least used to be able to truck folks. Now he's tackled by trailing corners. He doesn't have the speed to reach the edge. Chris Thompson goes down whenever he's touched. There's no point throwing to Andre Roberts because he never comes down with it. He's got to have the worst catch percentage in the league.

Could the playcalling be better? Sure. Are the regular third quarter debacles inexcusable? Absolutely. Have we overachieved this year given our lack of talent and health? I'd say so, too. No reason to overreact though, this should've been expected.

We had no business winning today, and winning 4 more games the rest of the year will be an achievement. We simply need more talent and we need to get healthy. That can't happen until the offseason.

Archived