Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2015 #Redskins at Jets Final

JimmiJo

Next man up in line are Smithers and Flaunders. :D

Our new S&C coach should feel the heat, after all, he's supposed to get our guys ready and in good health to play football. Looks like a big miss so far.

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with that.  I don't think the injuries that we've had have been conditioning related injuries, with the extremely notable exception of DJax.  

I think that there are a lot of in-game injuries, like knees, necks, concussions, etc.  Not much you can do from a conditioning perspective.  

Keeping mind I think you're very dug into your bias, and knowing how after Kirk's showing yesterday makes it especially tough to say anything other than "he sucks", after reading this I wanted to remind how DeSean thinks that Kirk throws the best long ball to him out of the guys on the team.

Sooo....DeSean disagrees.  :D

True, DeSean did say that. I have no clue what exactly he meant by that. Not saying I disagree with him...just that I don't know what a WR means when he says that...could mean he believes he is accurate, or he puts nice touch on the ball, or good spin? I believe him when he says it, but the ball still has to get to him and its kinda hard to argue about Kirk's deep ball accuracy not being great so far this year.

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with that.  I don't think the injuries that we've had have been conditioning related injuries, with the extremely notable exception of DJax.  

I think that there are a lot of in-game injuries, like knees, necks, concussions, etc.  Not much you can do from a conditioning perspective.  

Well, I might be wrong, but I believe he's coming from Chicago and they were plagued with injuries as well last year. So it might be more than coincidence here.

I agree that DJax is the only WR who really would put fear in opposing DCs. IMO the problem is that our QB doesn't put any fear in opposing DCs. DJax's attributes that make him such a weapon are nullified if we have a QB who can't get the ball to him or get it to him accurately.

You're probably right. But if Cousins hits him once out of 3 or 4 try, as a DC I wouldn't bet on it every play and let them try out to find how many times they can connect for a big play. So you'll have to take it into account by any means. You don't want to be known as Haz 2.0 for letting DJax runs free in your backyard. That's the kind of stuff that'll get you fired.

Same identical system down to the language

There is nothing innovative about the system, it is actually an archaic WCO from the Bill Walsh era without the cheats (pic plays) the Pats run and without a QB like Montana or Brady to captain it... Jackson calls it better on game days. I know people are going to talk up same system continuity in Cincy, and that is a piece... But honestly the inability to adjust at the half is a signature of a coaching staff getting outcoached. We have led in all but one of our six games heading into the half and we have lost four of them. That is the exact opposite of what is going on in Cincy right now.

Selling a coach by saying he is fixing some of the mess he created and selling a QB by saying he is likeable = saying a potential blind date is "nice," or for the Seinfeld fans suggesting the blind date is strong and can lift 50 lbs over his head like nothing... You're selling me George Costanza in the end... The ultimate JAG.

Ignore the ungodly completion percentage for a moment.

I will assume I am the only one that thinks Cousin's accuracy has decreased this year.

This, with what looks like a great pocket on most all those throws.

The pocket looks good because he gets rid of it quick.

His accuracy is spotty. He'll make some throws Brady would brag about (while banging his supermodel wife) and some that aren't in the same zip code.

Is just wildly inconsistent.

Jets were getting home on some of their blitzes. More so than any other team this year, and I think that's a product of missing Korey. 

Kirk gets too flustered, though. It's an issue. He rarely stands in there and steps into the throw knowing someone is going to hit him... I think this is where a lot of the inaccuracy is coming from. He's rushing things because he thinks he's about to get hit, even when it's clean.

His mental game is still an issue. It's a positive that he avoids it, but he needs to be willing to take a hit, here and there. It's so frustrating, because he does some good things we haven't seen from a Redskin QB in a long time.   

The pocket looks good because he gets rid of it quick.

Short passing neutralizes a pass rush, sure. Does it only look good because of him?   

If you think so, I respectfully disagree. Run blocking has fallen to crap. Pass pro appears much improved this year, at least anytime I am seeing anything other than a quick slant, he is not getting clobbered, and barely touched. He has a pocket if its a short pass or not. 

Blitz pickups seems to have improved, backs and TEs etc. But I think the OL has done great in pass pro and hope the grading sites can bear it out. Especially considering our youth across the board. 

Well at some point, Campbell was 6-2 for Zorn without throwing an int for something like what? 6 games? Brees was crappy before coming to the Saints. There's whole example throughout the league and history that goes both ways... Ryan Leaf / Peyton Manning choice each year.

That has, literally, nothing to do with what I posted.

The take-away I had after this game is that on a direct match-up basis with the Jets (an average NFL team) ...  Skins simply are and were not competitive. 

Skins had no answer to Ivory at rb.

Skins had no answer to Fitz at QB.

Skins had no answer to Marshall and Decker at WR.

Skins had no answer to Jet's front 7 which completely shut down the run.

And of course Skins had no answer to RevisIsland.

Bottom line ... Skins lack NFL horses.

BTW, Metlife is a great new stadium! ... Skins definitely non-competitive on this score too.

Hard to be optimistic at this stage.

Hail!

Jets were getting home on some of their blitzes. More so than any other team this year, and I think that's a product of missing Korey. 

It's not just missing Korey.  They've been doing that to teams all year. Cooley pointed it out, that they get free rushers more often than any team he's studied.

Good coaching. 

Makes a difference.  

It's not just missing Korey.  They've been doing that to teams all year. Cooley pointed it out, that they get free rushers more often than any team he's studied.

Good coaching. 

Makes a difference.  

They do have an incredibly deep Dline, which makes it a lot easier to force opponents to over-compensate for them and, therefore, allow them to get those free rushers. 

But, yeah... scheme is an important part of it. But I'd say the above is more significant. 

The reason why I pointed to Korey as well was because that was the one thing he was doing extremely well thus far and we've rarely seen anything like that from other defense's we've faced, even aggressive ones like the Eagles and Rams. 

Short passing neutralizes a pass rush, sure. Does it only look good because of him?   

If you think so, I respectfully disagree. Run blocking has fallen to crap. Pass pro appears much improved this year, at least anytime I am seeing anything other than a quick slant, he is not getting clobbered, and barely touched. He has a pocket if its a short pass or not. 

Blitz pickups seems to have improved, backs and TEs etc. But I think the OL has done great in pass pro and hope the grading sites can bear it out. Especially considering our youth across the board. 

I think that it's a combination of things.  Kirk doesn't hold the ball as a general rule, and the blocking has gotten better.  

Scherff/Moses are an immediate upgrade to Chester/Polumbus/Compton.  The TE situation and RB situation is largely the same, 

The run blocking is also a combination of things.  But I think that the blocking by the TEs has not been great, and the drop-off between Luavao and Long in run-blocking has been noticeable.  

That said, I think the biggest issue in run-blocking has been play-calling, coaching, and the passing game.  Against Atlanta, Gruden admitted to running on 17 of 20 first downs.  He should have admitted that and then turned in his playbook.  

They're so predictable, that they're constantly running against a team that KNOWS that they're going to run.  That's tough for anybody. 

But for whatever reason, they don't trust Kirk to throw teams out of that defense.  Now, that's a little tough to do without your starting LG, C, WR1 and TE, not to mention that the starting LG and TE (Paul) are on IR.  

Because throwing them out of that defense doesn't mean just a 4 yard hitch, you've got to stretch the defense down the field 10-20 yards to get them to loosen up so you can run. 

But if every single first down is a run or a short pass, teams are going to crowd the box, and stop everything.  

Did anyone else think Ty Nsekhe did better than expected?

Hell yeah - a positive from Sundays 3rd quarter collapse.

I hope all would agree he met or even exceeded reasonable expectations. Sure we couldn't run but we couldn't run with Trent in their, either.

The few times I watched him in PP, he swallowed up the feeble rusher opposite him.

I would be interested to hear the grades he got from the experts. I think he got an A - any expectations aside.

How good the Skins pass protection is... Needs to be taken in context.

If Gruden/McVay are calling quick short passes, lots of runs and bubble screens -- and Cousins doesn't take long getting the ball out -- then defensive coordinators probably conclude that it's a lower percentage play to send everyone hoping to sack Kirk before he throws the ball. Why open up holes for the hot receivers running their short routes, or gaps for the RBs.

Rather, defenses just stack the box, and occasionally apply extra pressure hoping to hurry Cousins into an early throw.

If the Skins started running longer-developing plays, hoping for a big downfield pass -- you'd quickly see defenses getting way more aggressive, and sacking Couosin -- because the current line really can't pass pro for very long. The line is getting better, but LeRibs, Long and Nsekhe aren't going to hold up defense that long.

Archived